4.0 out of 5 stars Decent addition to the household
After reading the first two reviews I thought I'd comment.

I bought this laptop about a month ago for my wife - she needed something similar to this as I now use the desktop a lot.

Published 21 months ago by Bevan

2.0 out of 5 stars Clickpad nightmare
As there wasn't a review for this laptop I decided to take a chance and get one anyway - I was looking for a lightweight and affordable laptop to replace my Lenovo Ideapad S205, which gave up a couple of months ago and is no longer made - it's replacement, the S206 is a poor effort which I wouldn't even consider as it's (not-so) cheap and nasty.

What I was...
Published 21 months ago by brianb

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent addition to the household, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lenovo Ideapad S300 13.3-inch Laptop (Grey) - (Intel Pentium ULV 987 1.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
After reading the first two reviews I thought I'd comment.

We couldn't be happier with the purchase. It's light, fast enough to do everything she wants (internet, emails, writing, etc...) and looks nice. I will completely agree with the other reviews, this is a cheap laptop and the price is reflected in its quality - but this is a £280 laptop, not an Alienware. I have no doubt that this laptop will last, considering what it's used for, and the fact it wont really be moved much.

Just like you can't expect to take a Ford Fiesta off-road like you can with a Range Rover. It's a different product, in a completely different price bracket.

2.0 out of 5 stars Clickpad nightmare, 12 Jan 2013
brianb (London, UK) - See all my reviews

What I was looking for was a small (11 inch - 13 inch), reliable, fairly fast and affordable laptop with good battery life and Windows 7 64-bit - not that much really, or so I thought. However, there don't seem to be many of these around as anything below 13 or 14 inches comes with unrealistically high price tags (i.e. they're overpriced) and now Windows 8 which I neither like nor want. One of the attractions of this Ideapad S300 laptop was that it ticked a few of the boxes, but as there weren't any reviews around (apart from those of this model with i3 and i5 processors) I didn't know how suitable it would be. Unfortunately for a variety of reasons I'm back to square one and again looking for a laptop.

This Ideapad S300 seems a nice laptop, but from the start, and I mean from within 2 minutes of turning it on, it was clear that the clickpad was going to be trouble. In fact it's an absolute disaster. It's a Synaptics clickpad which IS a good start (I like Synaptics as they have so many useful things, like Chiral (circular) scrolling), but it's just too difficult to use as the pointer seems to have a mind of its own, wandering, darting and shooting off all over the screen when you lift your finger off the pad to tap. In addition, the clickpad (in my opinion) is way too big - measured diagonally it's 5, yes FIVE inches - after a few minutes of use I was aware of a slightly fatigued wrist! It's one of those one-piece clickpads which doesn't have separate left and right mouse buttons as they're "integrated" into the pad and the bottom left (or right) of the pad bends to accomplish the left or right-clicks - the left and right "buttons" are divided by a line printed on the pad. This arrangement introduces yet another problem - trying to perform a left- or right-click causes the pointer to move away from what you're trying to click, which means that you often end up clicking the wrong thing, a popup menu or nothing! The "buttons" part of the clickpad is also touch-sensitive (it being part of the clickpad), so that after lining the pointer up (with the clickpad) onto the item you want to click, moving a finger or thumb onto a "button" causes the pointer to move away from the item you're trying to click, hence clicking the wrong thing! It's a ridiculous design no doubt made to save money/cut costs. What it actually does is reduce usability to the degree where the clickpad becomes a severe limitation and liability to this laptop - a real turn-off in fact and a nail in the coffin.

Although I've only had it a few hours, this seems a nice laptop. The keyboard's nice (most Lenovo keyboards are, and it's nice to see that Lenovo have FINALLY managed to put the left Ctrl key in the correct place!), it's slim, not too heavy and the screen's a good size. At Amazon's price it's a bit of a bargain too, well, when compared to the high prices other manufacturers are charging, but the clickpad's a real pain in the proverbial and a definite deal-breaker for me - I just cannot use a laptop whose pointer I can't control, and I've spent most of the time I've had this laptop adjusting the various clickpad controls to no avail.

Another annoyance is that there's no status LED for the hard drive. I don't know about you, but I like to see when the hard drive is actually doing something, rather than trying to guess if the machine has hung or frozen when I'm waiting for something to happen, or when installing something. Even trying to hear the hard drive would be no use as I was planning to replace it with an SSD, and the hard drive fitted is so quiet I could barely hear it anyway. Status LEDs actually mean a lot and are things I find very useful, and I continue to ask why so many laptop makers now don't bother including such small but highly useful things. It would only have added a few pence to the cost of this. Oh let me guess.... There's really no excuse for it and for me it's just another niggle in a growing list. The only LED indicators on this laptop are in the power button, one in the CAPS LOCK key and two along the front edge for power (WHY when there's already one in the power button??) and battery status. Why have TWO power indicators???

Getting hands-on with this laptop has enabled me to find an answer to the question of what a "tactile metallic finish" actually is. Well for those of you who were also wondering, it seems to be Lenovo's way of saying that the lid is plastic, not metal, but is instead painted to LOOK like metal, with something that looks and feels like metallic paint. I actually think Lenovo are guilty of slightly misleading people by implying that the lid is metal - it's most certainly, definitely NOT metal. But in a coffee shop from a few tables away it might look like it is metal, which might suit some people.

For those of you interested, the Windows 7 Experience scores for this laptop aren't bad, but they're pulled (let?) down by the graphics, which are Intel HD:

Processor (Intel 987 1.5 GHz): 5.1
Memory (RAM): 5.9
Graphics: 3.3
Gaming Graphics: 3.5
Primary hard disk: 5.9
Overall 3.3

This is a nice laptop, but the clickpad kills it for me. I could of course use a wireless mouse, but that would mean carrying another bit of kit around.

UPDATE:

Well I've now used this laptop for a whole evening and day and am in no doubt that despite it being so promising, Lenovo have clearly cut corners.

The case is so thin that if slight pressure is put on it (e.g. resting a wrist on the wrist pad), the bottom flexes to the extent that it touches the desk it's sitting on - the whole thing just bends. I've also noticed keyboard flex as well while typing, which is something I never noticed with my old S205. Lifting the laptop when closed causes the lid along the hinge edge to bend and touch the laptop body and the hinges themselves look flimsy and don't inspire confidence at all. I wouldn't expect this laptop to last very long to be honest, as it's a little on the flimsy side - from my recent experience of checking out the newer Lenovo laptops this seems to be a new Lenovo trend. Maybe I'm being unfair to Lenovo, but their laptops are mostly what I've been looking at lately to replace my S205. I'm also concerned that the metallic paint on the lid will wear quite quickly, making the laptop look cheap.

I also came across more silliness - Lenovo have changed the F-Keys along the top of the keyboard, so that to use them as F-Keys you now need to hold the Fn key as well. I found this out as when I pressed the F4 key for something and it closed the program I was using! It seems that they have reversed the old configuration of their other laptops. WHY??

I had high hopes for this laptop, but to be honest it's just an annoyance on so many levels it's not worth the hassle. Amazon's VERY competitive price isn't even enough though to make me want to keep it. Actually I'll be starting the returns procedure when I finish typing this.

To end on a positive point, the laptop was very quiet in use and stayed very cool too with no noticeable heat.

So, if anyone has any suggestions for a laptop which might suit me please let me know ;-) as I think I may have to consider a 2nd hand S205.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop for those shopping on a budget, 11 April 2013
I've had this for just over a month and overall i'm very pleased with the laptop. I fell in love with the Samsung Series 3 and Series 5 which I tried at PC World - but couldn't find one for less the £479.. and as I really don't need 6GB RAM or the larger HDD/SDD, the spec on this machine was sufficient. This really is a lovely little machine for £279.. I couldn't find anything so slick looking, and nice to use for less than £300. Bargain.

Positives:
+ As an alternative to the ultra sexy slimline Samsung Series 3 and 5, this laptop is very nice to look at (i've had lots of compliments from friends!) really slim, light enough to carry/pick-up with one hand.. but not fragile feeling.

+ It starts up reasonably quickly, and after a month and lots of programs being installed, plus some unintentional adware, it still colds starts in 40 seconds. I've not investigated the Lenovo Quick Start yet.

+ It has a pretty lovely keyboard which is nice to use.
The function buttons across the top of the keyboard are changed so that the shortcut function (eg. Alt+F4 to close a window) no longer requires a combination to use. You just press F4 to close the top window. I like what they've done here, however I have accidentally closed a window several times when i've mis-pressed one of the number keys. It'll come down to personal preference.

+ I'm pleased that it doesn't have the usual myriad of buttons for sleep/home/ etc above the keyboard (I never used these on my old Dell XPS M1710) just the power button and the One Key Rescue Button (which I havn't explored either yet).

+ My previous Dell had a monster of a battery and adapter. The S300 has a really smart battery, and a tiny adapter.

+ The underside of the laptop is clean, with no access panels which is good I suppose until you need to replace your RAM. (My old Dell had several access panels, I never did figure understand what for apart from the RAM panel.)

+ I've really seen the difference between USB 2 and 3 with this laptop - Wish there were more than 1 USB 3 on this machine for those times when you have 2 devices plugged in..

Negatives:
- Battery life is certainly not the 5 hours as stated, under normal internet browsing, with the odd document opened, maybe a youtube clip or two, I get 2-2.5 hours.

- The ULV processor does produce some heat out of the left hand side of the machine when it's on my lap. Although it seems well ventilated on both sides and I think underneath aswell, afair bit of heat comes out the left hand side. Nothing serious, but enough to keep your left leg warm. I havn't run any demanding games/programs yet so have yet to see how it performs heat wise.

- As mentioned by other reviewers, the trackpad isn't good. I'm not sure how they've done it, but indeed when you make contact with the pad the mouse pointed can jump *sometimes*. I actually don't mind too much as you quickly get used to it, and you can get around it by using the nicely integrated buttons instead of tapping on the pad for a left click. But certainly for occasional users, like when a friend is using it, they will get frustrated.

- Obviously no optical drive, but i've picked one an external USB one for £20 from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lightweight Computer., 5 Oct 2013
This computer is awesome. It replaced a 2007 White MacBook.
The first thing I did was to disassemble this computer and replace the HDD by a 60 GB solid state drive at 6 GB/s.
I then bought a 30 GB 45 Mb/s SD card and a 33 GB small footprint USB drive from Integral. This computer works perfectly with Ubuntu, and the storage configuration that I use maximizes the battery time from 1h to 3h. The best computer I ever had, in fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good budget Ultrabook!, 25 April 2013
I was looking for a 13" ultrabook to replace my aging Acer laptop and choose the Lenovo Ideapad S300 based on the reviews and the price. I was most impressed with the delivery service which had the laptop in my hands late Monday afternoon having placed the order on the Friday before - effectively a next business day service!

The machine itself is slim, light weight, has a good screen size and looks rather nice. After booting and completing the setup everything was fully working within minutes. Networking (both wired and wireless) was up and running without any problems. The keyboard is pretty good to use and I prefer my travel mouse so the trackpad isn't an issue for me. I plugged in my external USB drives and CD ROM and was able to copy files and install software. All the software I have been using previously and wanted to transfer across has worked without a hitch.

The laptop came with Windows 8, not Windows 7 as advertised and at first I was in two minds whether to return it. But after spending a while 'learning' the new interface I managed to get the hang of it. I even ended up installing third party software to provide a Windows 7 style Start Menu and the ability to boot straight into the desktop (by passing Windows 8 tiled start screen)!

Very happy with my purchase so far and my only criticism is that it came with Windows 8 but as mentioned I've managed to settle down and work with it. The quick startup is most impressive and the machine also had a 500 GB disk drive not the 320 GB described in the specification on Amazon. Overall this is a very good piece of equipment for the price.

Now over a year on and this laptop continues to serve me well and turned out to be a very worthwhile purchase for the price I paid. From my personnel experience I would definitely recommend this Ultrabook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful !, 19 Mar 2013
gillian "gillym" (Folkestone, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have had various laptops over the years, from great clunky things from the late 90's to a nice little 10" notebook. I also have an iPad and desktops in various locations I frequent. I wanted to find a light-weight notebook - bigger than a 10" but less than a 15" which came fully loaded and this is it. Slim line, light, Windows 7 (which I love and wouldn't want 8), nice keyboard action, great spec. I am going to buy 3 more now that I have tried one :)

1.0 out of 5 stars windows 7 ordered as advertised windows 8 received, 19 May 2014
This as already been reported to Lenovo. I had to pay someone to set the Laptop up only to be told it was windows 8 which I did not want. I would not recommend you to anyone and will not deal with you again

1.0 out of 5 stars ordered new -- it was not, 1 May 2014
I do not know whether the laptop is good bad or indifferent, the supplier sent out a box that contained a roughly repackaged laptop. I had chosen to buy a new one and this is not what was delivered, I did not want it, so I sent in a return request. This was declined by Smart Electronics stating -- Before dispatch, we ensure that all our items are in the condition that has been stated and can confirm that the laptop was sealed and brand new -- This was not the case for me. I want my money back to go shopping for the laptop elsewhere. Why should I have an argument here, it arrived 2 days ago, I immediately requested a return, very bad form

1.0 out of 5 stars do not buy it, 28 Aug 2013
i bought this computer in January and now is August front panel break when i open it laptop. button do not work properly. mouse
really hard to use and also noise.
do not buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars NO CD/DVD, 17 Jun 2013
White Eagle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This computer is fine for everyday ordinary things like email, listening/storing music etc but there is no CD/DVD drive! (hence -1 star)

I did not realize this when I bought it. I assumed all laptops had them!

All in all, a good laptop with a top brand.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›