5.0 out of 5 stars Personal and Profound, 13 Dec. 2011
Ray Melnik "ntech" (Staten Island, New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Silence (Paperback)
A friend introduced me to this new collection and I am thankful. Breaking Silence, by Jacob Sam-La Rosa was often personal, and always interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this poet's view of the world and the personal tales revealed. Even though the stories and experiences that birth the poems may be unique, the feelings are universal. It truly does sit between the personal and the profound. I look forward to reading more of Jacob's work. - Ray Melnik (novelist)USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical yet raw and clear .. is that really possible?, 22 Mar. 2014
Nadia Kingsley (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Silence (Paperback)
Well .... Jacob Sam-La Rose has a voice that is quite extraordinary.

I bought this collection, from Wenlock Books, as I will be appearing on stage with him at Wenlock Poetry Festival 2014, and I thought I better find out what his work is like, beforehand (as I do not know him) ! WOW !!! The collection starts with a poem called "Song for a Spent 100W Bulb" and after reading that, I didn't think anyone could write better.. but he does! There is sensitivity, and a rawness. They are easy to read and understand - but they make me re-read them immediately, just for the joy of it, and then I find more and more in each re-reading. This will not leave my table for a very long time, so I can re-read and re-read. Just wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing talent - someone to follow, 30 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Breaking Silence (Paperback)
So much contemporary poetry in the UK is either obscure or over-sensitive that you can easily get the impression of a hothouse plant. Not so here: Jacob Sam-La Rose has a fresh voice and considerable technical expertise. His poems come from the streets where he grew up and I found it invigorating to read such excellent poems, full of both energy and sensitivity, from someone who has grown up with an Afro-Caribbean background. More, please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Very moving and inspiring!, 16 Feb. 2015
Sm East (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Silence (Kindle Edition)
Young people in Ladders Young Performers and Writers Club love the poems and his videos inspire us to write and perform our own poems,

Breaking Silence