on 27 October 2015
I would give this no stars if I could. The firmware for this device is currently broken, rendering the product useless. Belkin themselves know of the problem and have done since July. See here - http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/For-users-who-have-had-their-WEMO-s-not-connect-back-after-the-7/m-p/13104/highlight/false#M1820

I'll be returning this.
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2015
I've had 3 of these devices for a year now and despite going through the palaver of firmware updates, app updates, hard and soft resets, re-implementing the rules in the IOS app etc, they STILL can't be trusted to turn and off at the times you want over a prolonged period of time. Classic case in point was the recent clock change, I prayed they would change automatically to reflect the new time. Did they? Course not! Just like the previous clock change in March. So frustrating as the app actually says they are on and they are well within wifi range. Don't rely on them to be your only security measure if you go away and you want it to turn the lights on and off. Shame as they are a good idea in principal and good if you want to turn lights on manually with your iPhone, but use a good old fashioned timer switch when you go away and need piece of mind.
on 29 January 2014
I don't normally review but since this item is so pricey I felt the need.
It drops connection and it's absolutely nothing to do with the internet connection that works fine, the plug just drops the connection to the wifi after less than an hour therefore rendering it useless to operate remotely on my iPhone or iPad: so anybody on here that is stating they can turn electrical items on and off from outside the UK wow!!! I can't even do it in the same room.
Complete waste of money; should have shredded the £80 I spent on two plugs; there would have been more satisfaction - really really disappointed!!!
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 March 2013
Overall I am a big fan of this product. Works well in 90% of the situations I ask of it and turning things on remotely is very useful!

The good:
- Manual override at socket
- Rules for timed operation
- App works well

The bad:
- Without WIFI it will not operate i.e. rules do not run
- Rules reset at midnight i.e. if you have a rule that says 'turn on at 12pm' and you turn on manually at 10am and off again at 11am the rule will not fire
- WIFI signal is relatively poor. Orange light comes on sometimes on my unit. Iphone on shelf next to it has full signal
on 23 August 2015
Am very tech savvy and have good solid wifi at home but this took two hours to get working. The app is dreadful - it is not intuitive & is really difficult to schedule the lights. On top of this, one lamp failed to light at the appointed hour. The software and app need a massive re-write before this can be considered fit for purpose.
on 20 September 2015
So I had to give this a try, even if everyone said is not working. Well.... now I know that is not working and trust me, I tried. It seems like a good idea and is the best thing ever when it works, but that is a very rare and with a lot of headache. Easy to control, save money and the IFTTT integration, best thing ever but, and this is a big BUT, None of them are worth it when the main product doesn't work.

Problems I encounter:
-- Lightbulbs doesn't reflect the app status (On the app it says its off, yet the light bulb is on)
-- Losing connection to the wemo link (Most frustrating thing, open the app it works, re-open the app, the connection has been lost, you need to reset the entire system)
-- Lightbulbs update forever (Even after a few resets, two of my lightbulbs keep saying that firmware update fail, so it keeps trying forever and ever)
-- Lightbulbs doesn't respond to the actual switch (If the connection to the wemo link has been lost, your switch won't work anymore, you will have to unscrew the lightbulb and screw it back on in order to work)

So, as you can't see, this is not working, great idea with the automatisation but poor execution with the product.
on 20 January 2014
Initial setup was easy, however after less than a month of owning the device a powercut seems to have made it incapable of reconnecting to my home network.

5 resets later and still no joy.

Belkin's in-app support page is horrible to navigate, with multiple dead links and no "back" function. At time of writing they also seem to have taken their main support website offline too.

Overall couldn't really recommend this product.
on 4 August 2013
I have one of these connected to my Sky HD box so that it will reboot automatically once per week to stop it getting glitchy. In the first week of use I found that the switch had turned itself off half way through the week and lost me 3 days of recordings. As a result I set up a couple of IFTTT triggers that would notify me when this happened and automatically switch back on. This worked OK for 3 weeks with the switch occasionally switching itself off and on at random intervals with the accompanying emails but since the latest firmware update last week the IFTTT triggers have stopped working reliably. Twice this week I've got up in the morning to find the box powered down with either an email sent several hours late or none at all.

By all means connect this to a lamp for security purposes but don't plug anything into it that you expect to keep running 24/7, especially if it's not in the same room as your AP/router.
on 28 July 2015
Not fit for purpose. Do not buy. Do not waste your money. Do not pass go.

These are a waste of time.
on 1 September 2015
I bought this without doing the necessary research. If I had had a look at the support forum, the number of frustrated and disappointed owners would have put me off.
Put simply, this product does not work.
The IOS app crashes regularly.
The reset procedure for the wemo link reports a different light sequence to that which actually happens
The app constantly tries to upload a new firmware and whilst reporting success, repeats the procedure later
The wemo link wifi link is only available intermittently and seems to suffer a lot if there is another network on the 2.4 band nearby
I am an IT professional and gave up after two hours.