5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Summary: I recommend this product.
- Note: This is a review of the WeMo Switch, not the Motion Sensor.

### Unit:
Published on 23 Nov 2012 by Greg

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg Automation
The WeMo switch is a very nice idea, poorly implemented. Once you've downloaded the WeMo app, installing the switch is pretty straightforward, although it's worth plugging it in close to your router in the first instance - it seems to get noticed more reliably.Then you can turn it on and off from your phone (or tablet).

The problems start when you try to set up...
Published 10 months ago by RobinJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Nov 2012
Greg (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin Wemo Home Automation Switch for Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and Android Devices (Accessory)
Summary: I recommend this product.
- Note: This is a review of the WeMo Switch, not the Motion Sensor.

### Unit:
- Size: A smaller unit would be welcome. The width of the unit can prevent neighbouring plug sockets from being used. However, this may not be the case depending on the chosen power supply (e.g. some power strips have a larger distance between sockets)
- Build quality: Very good.
- Initial set up: Easy.
- Weight: Appropriate.
- Design: Nice.
- Noise: Runs silently. Emits a Click sound when switching a device on or off.

### Functionality + iOS Application:
- Use with: iPhone 4S.
- Load time: As of version 1.8 the app takes a couple of seconds to load (i.e. open and find devices).
- Works perfectly.
- Easy to use.
- Very customisable.
- Extremely responsive. Triggered switches are nearly instant (under a second).
- Switches and status can be triggered and viewed remotely. (Handy for cases of "Did I leave the *item of choice* on?")

### Scheduling:
- Allows for fairly specific rules.
- Rules can be set for:
- Turn on only.
- Turn off only.
- Turn on then off.
- Keeps time perfectly.
- Active rules can be overridden easily.

### IFTTT:
- Set up: Fairly straight forward.
- Functionality:
- Works perfectly.
- Responsiveness: Very good. 8 seconds for IFTTT 'recipes' to trigger. (e.g. recipe 'if email contains tag '#hall-light' turn on hall light).
- Straight forward set up.
- Allows for interesting uses (Turn on a fan if the weather is over 18 degrees Celsius.) (if I'm approaching home [using phone's location], turn on the light.)

Product packaging: Very nice, good quality, easy to open, Apple-like in the fact that it's no nonsense. Would be easy to re-package.

### Price (As of 2012-11-23, £39 at Amazon):
- Single unit: Slightly expensive.
- Multiple units: This would get expensive quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Curate's Egg Automation, 14 Feb 2014

The problems start when you try to set up rules to control the switch. Belkin say you need at least Android v4, which I have, but attempting to save a rule, having set it up, invariably results in the app hanging. That's assuming I've managed to set up the rule at all, which isn't guaranteed. A search of the relevant Web communities indicates that many users have exactly the same experience. Belkin technical support isn't good. There are several dead links to articles whose titles indicate that they address precisely these issues.

So why have I given the device 3 stars? Because, once you've linked the device to your wireless network, you don't need the WeMo app at all. Join the IFTTT.com site, link your device and account and set up whatever rules you like from there. It all works easily, transparently and reliably. Belkin seem to have shot themselves in the foot by reinventing the wheel and making it square.

There is one remaining problem (that I know of). The switch has a habit of turning itself on a little after midnight if no on-off sequence spans two days. Belkin appear to know about this because there's a support article about it. Or rather, there's the title of a support article. Naturally, the link is broken. There's an obvious work-around: simply set up a rule to turn the switch off at, say 00:15 but that's a bit primitive.

So, in summary, I like the device and find it very useful now that I've spent some time tinkering and understood what works, what doesn't and how to get round the latter. But it could be so much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars The future...almost, 23 July 2014
I love my technology and any notion of home automation is always welcome! I saw these on a promotional offer, did a little research and in the spur of the moment I decided to buy 3! I have only android devices, so any application that are named will apply to android only, as far as I am aware.

Pros:

Home automation! Once they are setup, they are a marvel! I have had mine for little over 3 months and they have never missed a beat. I have one set to turn on my LED strips around my house past a certain time in the evening. Another to turn my air purifier/ioniser on as a drive home so that my house smells lovely when I open the door! And the final one to control my wireless phone charger, at 5% battery it turns on and at 100% it turns off! I could probably put them to much better use, but what to use them for turned out to be the most difficult step!

Depending on the level of automation, setup can actually be very easy! Simply enter in the rules via the official application or a third party application. I find the easiest events are programmed via toggling a WiFi connection to your internet or time and date.

Despite having these for just three months, the application of the concept is tremendous! I am forever changing my mind about what to automate leading me to believe I need to buy a few more!

Cons:

The Belkin application is truly woeful. You would have thought Belkin would have the power to remedy this but currently the application is almost unusable. This would be a deal breaker for me, however, there are third party applications out there which work a lot better! Completely transforming this piece of kit! Although the initial setup still has to done via Belkin's app...which works around 25% of the time for me, once that is done you never have to use it again!

The plugs are massive, stick out a fair amount and are a little bit unsightly! They dominate any plug outlet and in some cases, are too big to be put next to one another. In particular, you may have this problem with surge protectors and extensions.

For complicated setups and events, a large portion of technical knowledge is required. Programming locational events, for instance, required external applications such as 'Trigger' and 'Tasker', to initiate a rule and then interact with the third party WeMo software (WeMo Manager). Perhaps the most impressive use I have seen is using 'Tasker' via voice control to turn on the lights, for instance. Such a setup requires in-depth knowledge of very complicated applications, processes and seems a little too unstable/unreliable for me to currently invest the time and effort it would take.

Verdict:

More of a luxury then any form of necessity. Home automation is fantastic and in my opinion will become much more prevalent in the next few years. You can either stay well away, wait it out for the revised technology or jump the gun and start now! I realise this is not the first attempt at commercial home automation but it is certainly one of the most user friendly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Rubbish, 3 Oct 2014
Absolute Rubbish - that's all I can say about the belkin wemo. Yes It does work- occasionally- but once you have it set up be warned- it just constantly loses the signal and therefore simply doesn't work anymore, till you set it all up again!!!. Ok it may be my wi fi but everything else works around the house so it cant be that bad.

I have never felt compelled to write a review on anything before- and Ive bought loads through Amazon (and I have no problem with Amazon here, they have instantly refunded my purchase) but I feel everyone should know the impracticality of this unit- a good idea- that simply does not fulfill expectations- If your taken in by the spiel like I was - I warn you don't bother

5.0 out of 5 stars they are awesome. I agree with all previous sentiments that the ..., 3 Dec 2014
I've got three of these now and, apart from some teething issues, they are awesome. I agree with all previous sentiments that the belkin app is pretty poor, however, I downloaded an app from the google play store which runs as a server on your android device. It is awesome! Really really good and well worth the few quid that it cost. The key to using these is to statically assign their addresses. Now you can't do that within the device itself so you have to apply DHCP reservations from within your DHCP server. Since I did that I have had no issues at all with any of the devices, they work like clockwork.

Now all I want is a UK light switch to match. Come on Belkin, expand the range!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 3 weeks, hopeless support., 25 Feb 2013
A. R. Capon (England) - See all my reviews
This worked for three weeks and now has stopped working.

It looks like it is working, you can hear it switching off and the light goes off but whatever is attached to it stays switched on.

Trying to get hold of Belkin Support is impossible, totally hopeless.

Save your money, I'm going to see if I can return it to Amazon for a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!, 14 Jun 2014
Mr. M. Dunne - See all my reviews
If you want to use these to turn things on or off when you're not at home - AVOID them.

Whilst you can turn switches on or off when you're connected to your home wifi network (i.e. at home), trying to see them over another wifi network or 3g/4g network is a waste of time - I have 3 devices and at best I can only ever access 2 of them remotely. It really defeats the purpose of buying these switches.

The internet is littered with people saying they have this problem from OVER A YEAR AGO - and with no fix being offered by Belkin to date. If you can see all the devices on the home network then there is either a fault with the Belkin App or the Belkin Servers and they don't seem at all interested in doing anything about it.

Belkin support is useless - all they send is a standard 'reset everything' email and when you tell them that the problem still exists, nothing.......!!

I wish I'd done a bit more homework before buying these expensive items......

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID - these are terrible!, 11 Dec 2014
Well, what a pile pf rubbish! Just returned the 3 I purchased as they DON'T work. Beware - if you have a network that comprises of more than ONE access point, this system will not work. The modules cannot connect between the different access points, even if you have your network set up so that anything else can. Having spent 4 hours trying to get 3 modules configured to turn some xmas lights on and off, I gave up as this should have been such a simple task and shouldn't have wasted my entire evening. AVOID!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly there..., 10 Dec 2014
Mr. A. T. Dugdall "A D" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this device to allow me to control the Christmas lights and probably other devices at other times of the year.

Construction is very good, the item has a very solid feel and is a nice design. It is a little large, it would be a bit better if it were a little smaller.

Set up is very easy, it broadcasts its own SSID which the Android or iOS device connects to and transfers it to your main network for control. After installing, the device updated itself.

Rules are easy to configure in the app, if a little confusing at first.

Start up time for the app is a little slow, and it has lost the device a couple of times. I needed to reset the device for it to show up in the app again.

The device did turn off for no good reason once, so I wouldn't run anything critical on it.

Although I'm only using it as a glorified timer switch at the moment, it's a good product that just needs a few tweaks and it will be incredibly useful, albeit making the owner a bit more lazy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 19 Dec 2014
This is not working for me, Belkin support is useless. don not buy this!!