1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner but overall a good read, 28 Feb 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Trail of Money (Paperback)
I realised that The Trail of Money had been on my reading list quite a while and decided to start it. If I am being 100% honest the cover didn't quite do it for me (and I think covers can make a huge difference with people just picking the book up in the first place), however I didn't let me put that off. Early on we meet Harry West who is travelling to Hong Kong. He is a consultant who has been employed by the Government to check out a huge business deal that has been proposed.

The first few chapters were hard going and there was quite a lot of information to take in about the deal itself. I found my attention wandering and wondering whether I had made a good choice in reading this book. His colleague is based in Hong Kong and before long it becomes apparent that Harry has known his colleagues fiancé for some time. There is also the female reporter Erin who Harry met on the plane on the journey over who is reporting on the same people involved in the business deal.

It took me at least a quarter of the book before I finally got into it, and I'm glad I persevered because that's when it got really interesting. Although it's what I would call a slow burner, all the information you receive at the beginning starts to become clearer as the book continues. Harry is unwittingly drawn into the corrupt dealings of Hong Kong. I read the second half of the book a lot quicker than the first and when I finally got to the end felt like I had discovered a pretty good book. Don't get me wrong, this is not the sort of book I would normally choose to go for, but at the end I felt it was totally worth it. This felt more like a mystery than a crime and was quite a complex book, but I think once you get past the first quarter you become absorbed into wondering who plays what part of what is going on.

Overall, I would certainly pick up another Shapiro book but would hope that in the future his covers are a little more enticing as sometimes it's what makes the difference between picking up a book or walking right past it. Maybe not my usual type but still enjoyed it nonetheless.

The Trail of Money