Could It Be I'm Falling In Love?
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£4.99

on 28 February 2013
When this book arrived I read a few pages and from that point I didn't want to put it down!Could it Be I'm Falling in Love is one of the funniest and most endearing books that I've read for a while and I just couldn't get enough of the wonderful group of misfit ex-celebrities that Eleanor Prescott has created.

The story's leading lady is Roxy Squires who rose to notoriety as a TV presenter and `ladette' in the 90s and is fiercely clinging to her celebrity status. Poor Roxy is doing her absolute best to put herself in the spotlight and court the fame that she so desperately seeks but it's obvious right from the start that her star has fallen. The Roxy that we meet at the start of the story is quite shallow on the surface but as the novel develops we get to see more of the `real' Roxy and I thought she was brilliant. Her chapters of the book are peppered with #Roxysays tweets and I loved her good intentioned meddling in everyone's lives.

Following an unexpected encounter with her window cleaner who turns out to be ex-pop star (and Roxy's teenage crush) Woody Jensen, Roxy discovers that the village she lives in, Lavender Heath is actually a haven for the once famous, infamous and nearly famous! Woody invites Roxy to his weekly `survivors' group where she meets her fellow (ex)stars. There's a typecast soap star villain who just wants to make rom-coms, a failed weather man, an ex-MP, a one time model who found herself at the centre of a love scandal and of course a WAG! I loved the way Eleanor Prescott has taken media stereotypes that we're all familiar with and given them character and personalities together with believable stories in the present as they struggle to come to terms with the impact fame had on them or the loss of their celebrity status.

Despite being over five hundred pages in length, I found this novel a quick read with lots to hold my interest. With short chapters that focus on each of the different characters, the story has great pace but my favourite bits were the emails that Roxy receives in reply to her pitches, requests and ideas. Could it Be I'm Falling in Love is spot on in walking the line between `where are they now' comedy and the real impact of fame or infamy and what happens when the spotlight goes and the more I read about the characters and their stories, the more I liked them all. Roxy is determined that fame can be theirs again and I enjoyed her haphazard attempts to relaunch careers. Add a `retired' Hollywood heart-throb into the mix together with Woody who is determined to shun fame at all costs and Roxy certainly has her work cut out!

I thought the ending to the story was perfect and I was so pleased that Eleanor Prescott included a `what happened next' update on each of her stars. Although it is set in the run up to Valentine's Day, Could it Be I'm Falling in Love is a brilliantly funny and romantic read to enjoy at any time of the year.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Meet a cast of characters who you might just recognise - a washed up TV weatherman famous for getting it spectacularly wrong. A politician who was involved in scandal. A former model whose assets were well-known by all. A male pop idol, who sang cover songs in white vests. A child author whose novels were brought to the big screen. A footballers wife. A TV soap bad-boy. An actor whose rom-coms made money on his name alone and finally a young ladette who had a rather brash approach to interviewing and being seen.

Meet, Terry, Cressida, Sue, Woody, Holly, Chelle,Simon, Austin and the main protagonist of this novel Roxy. They have all been drawn to Lavender Heath and Woody who seems to be the leader of this rather interesting self help group of former has-beens is trying to get them all to see life goes on and can be very fulfilling, away from the glamour and the spotlight.

It is Woody who is the most secure of the group, he has embraced life as a window cleaner, and whilst he runs the gauntlet of bored housewives trying to bed their once famous window cleaner he likes nothing more than cleaning windows with them old white vests. But it is Roxy's presence in the group that starts to change the dynamics of everything.

Roxy cannot understand why they seem so comfortable in their life now, especially Woody who she is so trying hard not to love - do they not want to be famous and well known any more. Roxy does and she is trying hard, as we can see throughout the book to put herself back out there. Trouble with Roxy is that she may not have changed her unique selling point but the type of celebrity world that is out there now is very different to the one she started in. So she turns her efforts to everyone else.

With a bit of coaxing, she manages to draw Sue out of her black self imposed uniform and her reclusive house, Terry suddenly seems to be more interested in fashion when it is thrust upon him, Cressida is learning more about the world and also perhaps a hair cut could help things along and Simon's cooking skills could be another opening. But Austin's reluctance to remain sober, Holly's rather nervy attitude and Chelle only interested in making her husband jealous, it is going to prove a tough job.

But fame comes at a price, and as the book goes on, the media seem to have taken a huge interest in Lavender Heath and exactly where are they getting all their information from - especially the accurate information. It may seem that one of the group has been helping themselves to titbits and letting the world know everything.

This is a novel of it's day. I am sure there are plenty of real life celebrities which we could name that fit into the stereotypical characters that the author has created. I wonder who she had in mind for all of them? And I bet as the days go and fame being so fickle, these names change as often as the daily headlines. It shows a rather desperate side of fame and whilst I disliked the character Roxy because of her rather arrogant and blunt attitude, I felt that someone should have taken her to one side and explained that she had to move on with her life. It took a long time for her to work that out - it became in parts frustrating. Roxy did not take the hint that was glaringly obvious from the first pages. The paparazzi were not interested and neither was I, and I wavered whether I would finish this book as it was too Roxy dominated. However, as I learnt more about the other characters, Roxy became less of an irritant and I progressed with the book.

A diverting novel, but more for a younger female reader than myself, it did not have enough strength in the overall story for me.
on 15 March 2013
I thought Eleanor's first book was good but this, her second one, is even better. Sharp and witty dialogue, and clearly defined characters. I particularly liked Roxy the leader of the ex-celebrities who helps them come to terms with life after fame and success This book would make a great basis for a television series. I look forward to Eleanor's next book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 March 2013
Roxy Squires, or Foxy Roxy as she used to be called, cannot admit that her career is on a downward slide, she's desperate to regain her previous success as a ladette TV presenter but all her attempts to gain work are drawing a blank.

Now living in the quiet village of Lavender Heath Roxy has to try and figure out what else she can do to make a name for herself again and when she realises that her window cleaner Woody was the once infamous pop star nicknamed 'The Woodeniser' she decides that he could be her ticket to fame again.

Except Woody has turned his back on that lifestyle and is more than happy with his current lot and his friends from the village. When Woody invites Roxy to his house she mistakenly assumes that it's a date and dresses to seduce so she's surprised when she gets there to see a group of other people who all seem vaguely familiar. It would appear that Woody and Roxy are not the only former celebs who live in the village...

What I really enjoyed most about this book was the great mix of characters, not just Roxy and Woody, but also the other members of the 'Has Beens' group, each of whom has their own story that you get to learn more about throughout the book. But I have to confess I didn't really like Roxy as a character at first but as the story progressed I did start to warm to her a bit more but she definitely didn't make it to the top as my favourite character, that honour would have to go to Woody.

My only criticism about the book was that personally for me it was a little too long but despite this I did enjoy reading it and would recommend it to others.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have had Could it be I'm Falling in Love? On my to be read pile for a couple of weeks and although I loved the synopsis all about "has-been" celebrities which really appealed to me I have to say I was rather intimidated by the size of this book at 558 pages long!

When the book begins and we meet one of our main characters Roxy I was a little unsure as to whether I would finish this book as I didn't like her character. She was fame hungry and she didn't seem to have anything else about her personality it seemed that fame was her whole life. Luckily we then meet Woody who was very lovable character who was very easy to warm too. When things begin to look shaky for Roxy, Woody takes her under his wing and introduces her to a group of "has beens" who meet weekly to chat about their new lives.

I loved the mix of characters in this book we have many characters from different aspects of the limelight and they all brought something different to the book. Luckily as the book progressed Roxy began to mellow a little and towards the end of the book I can actually say I did like her character which is unusual for a character to come around full circle for me!

My two favourite things about this book have to be the ending the way that it was all wrapped up perfectly not leaving you on a cliff hanger and wondering if there will be a follow up book. Also the guessing game the author gets not only the characters but also the reader involved with! I didn't see this part happening so when it came up I was racking my brains trying to solve the mystery and I failed! (sorry I can't tell you more than that otherwise it has to come with a massive SPOILER ALERT!)

This book is perfectly set out in that the chapters alternate between each character so you get to know the characters well and each of the chapters are only 2-3 pages long so it is easy to pick up and put down. This was an enjoyable book once the story had got going I do feel that it was a little drawn out at the beginning and so the book could have easily shed at least a hundred or so pages but all in all this was a great read.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
So happy I got this book, it is brilliant, ideal for fans of Wendy Holdan books, it tells the tale of ex-famous person Rox, who lives in a little village trying to still be famous and she meets other ex- famous people in the village (its a rich village and we have to let the autor have dramatic license!) for meetings, and all the characters have their own history and their are mishaps/friendships/love interests. Especially between Rox and now window cleaner Woody, although all the characters are strongly portrayed and chapters are done from various perpectives.
It is a clever tale with a little twist and a lot of heart. Rox was shallow but somehow likeable and funny, reminded me of the book I like called 'A wags diary', but it has it's own thing going on and I will be very keen to read more by this author, I just loved it, and I could hardly put it down till I had finished it, it stood out! well worth buying.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Roxy Squires is famous, or at least, she used to be. At the height of her career she was presenting many TV shows, constantly being photographed by the paparazzi and doing anything to keep her name in the spotlight. now, all job offers have dried up and the only correspondence she receives from companies are rejection letters. What she needs is someone to propel her name back into the lights.

Woody used to be a pop-star - a gorgeous man who had women falling at his feet and everything going for him, until he quit fame and disappeared. So imagine Roxy's surprise when Woody turns out to be her window cleaner! Thinking that this is the way back into the hearts of TV companies and the adoring public, Roxy decides her and Woody should be a team. However, Roxy soon discovers that they aren't the only celebrities in the village, and in fact, there are a group of former famous faces who meet weekly to discuss their new lives and offer advice. Is this the way for Roxy to shoot back to fame? Or will this set her on a different path that she had never considered before...?

To sum this book up in one word: INCREDIBLE! I literally could not put this book down! I started reading and before I knew it I'd whizzed through 200 pages! And every time I had to leave the wonderful lives of the local celebrities to do the dinner, I couldn't stop thinking about them! I even started chatting to my fiancé over dinner about the characters and such was my enthusiasm and love for them, he genuinely thought I was talking about real-life people! Oh how I wish they were real!

The characters are really what makes this book so fantastic! Roxy is the PERFECT lead for the story - She is fun, she is feisty and she had me in tears of laughter! I would absolutely LOVE to have a best friend like her in real life! I instantly warmed to Roxy, and one thing I particularly enjoyed was seeing her develop as a character and opening her mind up to more possibilities and new challenges. The other `celebrities' are fantastically written - they had their own chapters which I quite liked as it gave focus to the other characters and as a reader we are able to not only see things from their point of view, but we gain a better understanding of their personalities, hopes and dreams. I won't tell you what they were all famous for as it all unfolds in the story but there is a big range of personalities and the mix worked very well. My favourites were Woody, Sue and Terence.

It was truly wonderful to be able to delve into the lives of this little group and share in their experiences. I laughed with them as they encountered funny scenarios, and I cheered them on as various characters offered support and advice to each other. Along with the humour in the book, there is also some beautiful romance, which will definitely put you in the mood for Valentine's Day! Eleanor Prescott has excelled in her storytelling, she has created a world that you can escape into for many glorious hours, with characters that are very true-to-life, and are the type of people who you would LOVE to live next door to or be friends with. This is my favourite read of 2013 so far!

Could It Be I'm Falling In Love? is a fantastically written book that will transport you to another world, and warm your heart with its romance and characters. It is an entertaining, fun read that you won't be able to put down! Not only will it have you laughing throughout, but its underlying message will make you appreciate the value of true friendship and support. If you buy any book this year - make it this one!!!!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 April 2013
I received a copy of "Could it be I'm falling in Love?" in exchange for a review.
I haven't read the first book of Eleanor so I didn't know what to expect but let me just mention that the book is already ordered and on its way to me:)
When I started reading the book I was a little confused as I have never met, or hear, or read about self - help group for "former" celebrities. I think it must be the most strange of all self - help groups in the world:)
At the beginning I didn't like the leading character Roxy too much as she was too fame - seeking for my liking but actually it turned out that she is a really amazing person. First I thought she is a typical blonde (no offence!!!! I am blonde as well, both with my soul and hair colour:) ), interested only in partying, clothes, self - tan, and having no dreams but one: doesn't matter how, just still be in the spotlight of cameras. But it turned out that she was a clever, intelligent woman, a super friend and a wonderful businesswoman, although it took me a little time to get used to her and warm to her.
There are other characters in this book of course, actually as important as Roxy, and each of them tells us their own story. The chapters were always dedicated to one of the characters which made the book clear and easy to follow and each of the story was more interesting than the other. All of them are really unique characters and doesn't matter how annoying they are sometimes, how arrogant or how weak some of them are, I just wanted to read and see what's going to happen. They were colourful, real people and their stories were really engaging.
And to be honest, I didn't expect such ending, the book ended with a twist that I personally didn't see coming. The end was actually perfectly wrapped up and didn't let me with any open questions.
This book is about true friendship and what happens with people - people who are used to being famous and celebrities - when the fame actually goes home. It is actually worlds away from me and I have never understood people seeking it in such ways but after reading this book I know such people really exist and I can say, okay, it's your choice and it's your life, and I am not to judge if it is a good choice or not.
Despite being over 550 pages long I wasn't bored at all, it was actually a fast reading, wonderfully and witty written. Eleanor Prescott is a queen of plotting, twisting and intriguing. Wonderful read.
on 13 November 2013
I really enjoyed this book - light enough for the beach but with enough substance and plot twists to make it interesting and give it more depth than your regular chic lit. Long book at 400+ pages but the plot lines and characters are so well written its real page turner. I loved Eleanor Prescott's other book too - Alice Browns lessons... But this was my favourite. The idea of the "past" celebs all meeting up, living locally etc was a new one for me and it made funny, entertaining reading. Really cared about the characters and wanted to see things end well.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really enjoyed this read.....Roxy is an ex celebrity "ladette" who can't quite give up her past fame....she joins a celebrity self help group.....accidentally! and then begins to try and change their lives!! This is a funny, enjoyable, easy read....I read it quickly and enjoyed it.....Recommended for a lazy day just reading for pleasure.....