on 31 October 2014
Quite different to the TV series, as it is a memoir it is much more personal and intimate. It reads like a love letter to the NHS - all the more important as workhouses slip out of living memory and we should never return to those ways of treating the poor.
on 6 March 2013
Amazon Kindle totally messed this up my sending the books to the Kindle in the wrong order,i did not realise as it was sent as a trilogy and ended up reading book 3 as if it was the 2nd book in the series as there was no way to skip through to get to the correct 2nd book.Totally ruined the reading experience as I knew the ending of the complete series before I had read the 2nd book.Totally unacceptable I will therefore go back to buying sets of book in print and not via Kindle.I give the books themselves 5 stars this rating is for the sheer incompetence of Amazon
on 27 February 2014
Yes the TV series is excellent, but once you start reading the books you will find yourself lost in the world of Jennifer Worth. Heart wrenching from start to finish. It is like being on a roller coaster of emotions, one minute you will be laughing at the antics of life back then. The next you will be fighting back the tears.
I could sit here and write a full synopsis on each of the books in this set, but I really hate spoiling the books for other people. What I will say is don't hesitate to buy, you really won't regret it. A DAMN GOOD READ!!!!!!!!
on 19 January 2015
Purchased this item for my kindle. For those who are fans of the tv series this is great. There are also a lot of historical references photos etc with the kindle version which as a historian myself I have enjoyed. This is a beautifully written book by a lady who was amongst many midwives at the time working under difficult circumstances. I listened to my own mother in law talk about this time when she trained as a midwife and one of her treasured items was always a glass bowl given by a father as payment
on 20 April 2014
This collection of books are just brilliant, they weave a compelling narrative over the social history of a particular period in the United Kingdom. The very descriptive prose used in the stories create a vivid mental picture of the scenes, and the inhabitants of the East End of London, the books are much better than the excellent BBC television programme of the same name. I heartily recommend these books to everyone who enjoys a well written story with incredible characters and backdrop.
on 19 March 2014
Having enjoyed the TV series I thought I should read the books. Three books are included in this set - Call the midwife, farewell to the east end & shadows of the workhouse. The books are presented in this order, but I think it would be better to read shadows of the workhouse before farewell to the east end as this book concludes Jenny Lee's time as a midwife & summaries what happens to everyone else at Nonnatus House. The books are all well written and I enjoyed reading them all.
on 22 March 2015
These books have had me hooked from the very beginning. Absolutely fascinating real life account of life as a midwife in the old east end of London. The author, Jennifer Worth, brings a wonderful simple descriptive imagery in her writing. I have laughed and cried many times for the characters written about. What makes it all the more interesting is that you know these people were all real!
A great read, thoroughly recommended.
on 4 January 2015
I have been a fan of the television series and when I found out about the books I thought they would give more in-depth knowledge of the period and work of the nurses, I wasn't wrong !!! Being a nurse myself I have enjoyed each and every book and am sad that it has come to an end. I have experienced a manner of emotions from laughing to shedding a tear. I would recommend these books to everyone.
on 21 April 2015
I read this after watching the TV series. It's better. There is a grittiness in the book that is sometimes lacking in the screen play, and parts verge on the harrowing. The book tends to look at characters as much as events and the TV series mixes everything up to make rounded episodes, so when you are reading the book it does not feel like a reprise of the series. Seriously good.
on 28 May 2015
Fascinating insight into London in the old days. Very interesting account of what life was like for my great grandparents past generations. Makes me appreciate what we have today and is a real eye opener to how tough life was. I couldn't put the book down was so well told. I like the tv series but loved the book so much more. A great book!