5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 3 books in 1, each as enjoyable as each other.
Published on 27 Nov. 2012 by Charlie&Molly

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Kindle experience Five star books
Published on 6 Mar. 2013 by Sam the Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 3 books in 1, each as enjoyable as each other., 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Complete Call the Midwife Stories: True Stories of the East End in the 1950s (Kindle Edition)
So many reviews of the books have been left for the individual kindle books, the books being Call The Midwife, Farewell to the Eastend and Shadows of the Workhouse that I don't need to say more, however I did find the page for this book inconclusive, I had to download a sample to find out which books were available, hopefully by listing the books this review will help other potential buyers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, harrowing and hope-filled, 8 Dec. 2012
M. Counsell (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
These autobiographical novels give an accurate picture of life in the East End of London in the postwar years. The people were poor but cheerful, and if the convent-hospital had not moved into the area, many mothers would have died in childbirth. The story, told with great humour, of the young midwives, the shocks they experienced and the hope with which they overcame them, made a hugely succesful series on television. Inevitably, TV is a bit superficial, and the books go much deeper. To anyone who has been present at a birth, the graphic descriptions of the risky process will fill us with gratitude for what our mothers went through that we might live. Those who have given birth themselves will be reminded of something they had long ago forgotten, as the Gospel puts it, 'for joy because a new person has come into the world.' Anyone else may find the obstetric passages gruelling, but keep going, you will be a better person when you finish. And you wil;l have had many laughs while you were reading it. The quiet spirituality of the nuns underlies it all, and the books acknowledge, what the TV producers seem to have forgotten, that they were Church of England; many people don't realise that Anglican nuns exist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Feb. 2013
This is an excellent series of books detailing life in the East End of London in the mid-1950s. Although based on true events I suspect that some have been slightly fictionalised, but the book is none the worse for that. The book brings home what life was like for thousands of people in the East End, after the war and before large-scale rebuilding had taken place - I had not understood how appalling the conditions were for so many people, but after thinking about it realised that the mid-1950s are nearer to Victorian times than they are to us in 2012! The books tell of Jenny, a midwife working with nuns to provide maternity services to the local community and some of the events which occurred. Thoroughly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Just SO wonderful., 2 Mar. 2014
I bought this quite a while ago, before it became famous on TV. It was on special offer, 3-books-in-1 in an erstwhile book club magazine. I like medical books and it sounded really interesting. It was so wonderful. It is the true story of Jennifer Worth who was a midwife in the East End in the 1950's. There are many aspects to the story-not just having babies-Jennifer also acts as a district nurse some of the time and meets many people and tells some of their heart-breaking stories in the book. In the second book of the trilogy, she tells Frank and Peggy's story. Frank was a handyman at the Nonnatus House and Peggy was his sister and they were workhouse children. So traumatic and heart-wrenching. I have watched some of the TV series and it does translate well to that medium but the book has so much more. Having said that, reading about the character 'Chummy'- Miranda Hart IS such a wonderful choice, she could BE HER! Apparently, Jennifer Worth chose Miranda Hart to be Chummy because she thought she fitted the character so well. She was right. Sadly, Jennifer died of Cancer shortly before the first TV series aired but what a wonderful memory she has left in this book. So many books 'get me' emotionally but none have quite so powerfully as this one. It is a read which will stay with me for many a year to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Like, 1 Feb. 2013
Love this down load three books in one found them easy to read and never wanted to put them down,

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Emotional Stories, 15 Mar. 2013
Maureen Stroud "Mo Walton" (Walton on the Naze) - See all my reviews
I watched the "Call The Midwife" series on Sunday evenings and thoroughly enjoyed them. The e-books go deeper into the memoires of Jennifer Worth and I have thoroughly enjoyed them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Kindle experience Five star books, 6 Mar. 2013
Amazon Kindle totally messed this up my sending the books to the Kindle in the wrong order,i did not realise as it was sent as a trilogy and ended up reading book 3 as if it was the 2nd book in the series as there was no way to skip through to get to the correct 2nd book.Totally ruined the reading experience as I knew the ending of the complete series before I had read the 2nd book.Totally unacceptable I will therefore go back to buying sets of book in print and not via Kindle.I give the books themselves 5 stars this rating is for the sheer incompetence of Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing insight into our recent past, 2 April 2013
I came late to the 'Call the Midwife' party. I only started watching the programme well into the second series and had never heard of the books, but after watching a couple of episodes I fell in love with the nostalgia of it all, so I decided to see what the books were like.

First of all, if you're like me and are reading the books after having seen the TV show, be prepared to discover that the producers have swapped a lot of stories around to give characters like Trixie and Chummy more to do. A lot of the parts have been 'beefed up' in the show (understandably), so be warned not to expect too much character development in the book.

The book itself is a wonderful, meandering memoir of a time not that long ago, but long enough to be utterly alien to anyone born on the last couple of decades (I am not included in this group sadly). The babies Jenny Lee delivers are those of my parents generation, so for me it's an amazing glimpse into my grandparents world. The tenements, the poverty, the community spirit and even the language of the locals is fantastically painted by Jennifer Worth.

The stories she tells are beautifully happy, horribly tragic and hilariously funny. Fans of the show will recognise a lot of them, although many were changed to give happy endings that, sadly, never happened.

I recommend all fans of the TV show to read this. I thought it was wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars V. Good, 1 May 2014
I think I'd read the first book before, but if I had, it was just as good on the second reading. I remember those times of neighbours looking out for each other, folks just getting on with life rather than whinging and moaning. Yes, I was a 50's child, but I didn't live in London - nonetheless the author could've been writing about many communities nationwide. I like this kind of book and Jennifer Worth recalls a lifestyle long since gone. As a child I lived in what would now be regarded as slums. When the authorities moved us away to "better" housing, they split up the community totally. It was awful. I never experienced that sort of community again - it seemed that every single family unit who lived in our street was moved to a different area of the city. Those families had been living alongside each other and supporting each other for many many years, and it was all lost. I'm in my sixties and I still haven't really got over the trauma. So thanks to Jennifer Worth for recording her experiences in the east end of London. The books are an excellent, and for me, slightly nostalgic read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Call The Midwife Stories, 6 Feb. 2013
I found this edition,mostly, very readable and interesting. Perhaps someone not of a medical or nursing background would be more interested in some of the medical terms (and Latin ones) which could perhaps be explained on the same page as that where they appear. It is quite difficult hopping backwards and forwards when you are reading on Kindle. By the way, what happened to the page numbers we were promised? However, I did find the book engrossing and informative too. We do forget our fairly recent past at our peril.

Mrs. Worth depicted her characters in a way that made them almost walk off the page so vivid is her description,highlighting the living conditions and poverty under which most working class people struggled to survive and raise their families, whilst trying to keep their self respect. I think this book is not only entertaining, but also a valuable record of recent history. These memories should not be lost, but preserved for future generations.