4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking insight.
First of all let me say I'm 48, a fan since back in black. My brother came home from uni with the live if you want blood . . And I couldn't believe what I heard. I was too young then to really follow them, and they were off my radar when Bon died.
By the time for those about to rock was released I had all their albums to that date.
This book covers in great...
Published 15 months ago by Belfastbees

3.0 out of 5 stars Controversial
Seems to be a rather good and informative book, although much of the information in this book can be found in other ac/dc books, especially the Highway to hell Bon Scott book. I get the feeling that this author doesn`t like the Young brothers, especially Malcolm. The author praises Mutt Lange, the producer of the 3 ac/dc albums highway to hell, back in black and for those...
Published 11 months ago by D. Watson

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much information, 17 Jan 2014
***
This one's for the true devotees. Some interesting stuff particularly about Bob Scott but I would had enjoyed it more if it had been half as long.
The author has an irritating habit of giving the reader a 3 page mini biography of everyone who ever worked with the band

4.0 out of 5 stars Bon Scott, 4 July 2013
As the other reviews have stated this book focuses on the life and untimely passing of Bon Scott. Having read this book, I found myself asking a lot of questions about what actually happened at Overhill Rd. it's one of those few books that I will read again and again

3.0 out of 5 stars AC/DC The Bon Scott years, 7 April 2013
This book is very detailed and covers the formation and the years up to the formation of ACDC in great depth. Although I think that Malcolm seems to be portrayed as the 'baddie' of the band with Angus the jolly tea swilling urchin. There isn't much love for Malcolm in the book, he is made out to be the tyrannical leader, not caring who he steps on or shoves out of the way in order to get his own way. Don't get me wrong, I know the Young family were a tough lot and not to be trifled with but from books and interviews I have read, he doesn't come across as quite the monster he does in this book.

Also, if you wanted to know more about the later years of ACDC and Brian Johnson, I would look elsewhere. This book focuses mainly on early ACDC and mainly on Bon Scott, the Brian Johnson ACDC is covered in the last 100 pages up to the album Ballbreaker in 1995. The rest of the band history up to 2012 is covered in about 20 pages, it gives the impression that Mick Wall simply got bored with the book and wanted to wrap it up quickly. There was no mention of Brians side of the story or any depth into his background. Maybe the information wasn't there but again, I doubt it as he comes across very well and friendly in interviews.

I would say that if you are a big fan of Bon Scott then this book is a great read. If, on the other hand, you want a unbiased read on ACDC as a whole then this book may be a disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars top book, 13 July 2013
really gritty honest appraisal of the rock worlds finest band... no bull..... al for the fan....and the music.......as it should be

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: AC/DC: Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be (Kindle Edition)
The book has an incredible amount of detail - new detail too - especially around the formation of the band and the Bon years, so from that perspective its a really interesting read. I do think though that Mick Wall comes across as rather bitter towards the Young brothers and especially Brian(possibly due to their refusal to cooperate over the book, or perhaps something happened between them and Wall in the past). As one other reviewer notes, the portrayal of Mal in particular is scathing and the Brian era is pretty much brushed off. Yes, two different eras but both integral to the whole story.

I enjoyed the insights from ex-band insiders, especially Ian Jeffrey and Tony Platt and the book does go some way into clearing up some of the conspiracy theories around the Back in Black lyrics and Bon's death.

All in all a pretty engrossing read for an AC/DC fan, provided you can tolerate the negative light in which the band (Bon excepted) is portrayed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and revealing look at the history at the band that did it their way!, 23 Dec 2012
David Parry "bigbasspa" (Lancaster, PA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AC/DC: Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be (Kindle Edition)
I've read a number of books on AC/DC over the years and I have to say that Mick Wall's book is the most revealing about the tensions and domination of the band by Malcolm Young and, to a lesser extent, Angus. However, the image of Malcolm Young portrayed in this book is pretty much a completely negative one with very little indication that MY was nothing other than a dictorial band leader who didn't care who he hurt or what the fallout was. Books I've read have indicated that MY was not to be messed with but the MY in Wall's book comes across as someone verging on the psychotic. I found it difficult to take the Malcolm here as the real deal - I'm sure that if he really is a big a pr*ck as he's portrayed then he would have been on the end of a severe pounding more than a few times. That aside the main pluses of this book for me were the really deep insight into Bon Scott and an explanation as to why the post Black in Black albums had so much filler and sounded so poor up until The Razor's Edge. The dumping of Mutt Lange after For Those About To Rock plus the Young brothers taking almost total control of producing their next few albums almost cost them their career. Good stuff that was an eye opener for me.

Other than Malcolm being portrayed in a very negative light, the other disappointment for me was that I learned so little about Brian Johnson from this book. I've been an AC/DC fan since Rock n' Roll Damnation yet in over 30 years all I know about Brian is that he still rolls his own cigarettes and has a passion for cars. What motivates Brian (other than cars), how much input (if any) does he have in the music production, how does he feel now about having to replace Bon? What has been the cost to him? And finally, what is his relationship with the band like? In the current line up he's still the 'new guy' so I would have really liked a more revealing insight in the life of Brian since 1980.

Despite the shortcomings I've described this is still an excellent book, particularly as only at the very start and end does Mick Wall include 'thought quotes' for Bon Scott i.e. those chapter prefaces that everyone skipped in his Zeppelin book. Glad to see he got the message from Zeppelin fans and toned it down. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars dogs bollocks, 24 Nov 2012
Big Mick Wall fan. His Zep book was not just the ebst rock book I have read, but one of the best books per se. Truly talented writer who gets right under the skin of a story. That said... this just might be better. Bold shout but seriously I've never read anything like it on AC/DC before. The band will hate it but really they should be proud. Someone finally treating their story the same way they write about Elvis or Lennon. Couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars He'll ain't a bad place to be, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: AC/DC: Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be (Kindle Edition)
Well researched. Not sure if Mick Wall like the young brothers that much. Did seem harsh to them at times.