5.0 out of 5 stars Best one yet
I loved this book, I travelled with Thomas through his journey and felt like I was connected to him. I wish that I had been able to read it all in one sitting.

Published 22 months ago by Mulled Red

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure
Not a bad story about WW1. Normally I can read books several times and get more out of them each time. I read this one but that was enough. I liked the story plot but maybe it was a bit too fanciful and aimed at a younger audience.
Published 10 months ago by Southfeild

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one yet, 14 Jan 2013
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)

The horrors of the WW1 trenches was made very real without being uneccesarily gory. The authors attention to detail was excellent, I had a very vivid picture in my mind of the scenes as I was reading.

This is probably not my usual genre, the book was recommended to me by a friend who had read an earlier version. While I waited for Coming Home to be released I read Roy Stolworthys other books, all were good but Coming Home is definitely the best yet. I await his next book eagerly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and compelling read, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book because the author uses the same pub. I'm so glad I did because it was an excellent read.
A moving story of the horrors of war through the eyes of a boy soldier unable to cope with his past.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Coming Home (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Read of 2012, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
Without a doubt, this was the best book I read in 2012 - and I reckon I read at least 40 books in 2012!!

First publication by the Author and a truly remarkable talent for creating characters, plots and environments. This was a book that leaves a lasting impression. I wonder, where did the author get the inspiration for this story? First world war, in all its brutal reality and it combines some horrific scenes with scenes of tenderness and humour as well as the downright surprising. Often you had to stop and read the paragraph again, asking yourself, "did that just happen?".

I read the authors blog and What really surprises me is the difficulty he had in attracting a publisher. Rejection letters and a frustrated deal and he ended up publishing it on Amazon and then attracted a publisher.

This book has excellent reviews. Why could the publishers not see the potential of this book? Moral of the story - as the author found out, you can cut out the middleman.

First class effort, a brilliant story - if you haven't read it: put it on your next to read list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly A Masterpiece!, 28 Feb 2013
James A. Anderson "Author" (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
This is a powerful and outstanding novel about the Great War.

Roy Stolworthy has written a story that will stand alongside classics like ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT. It is a brutally honest portrayal of life in the rat-infested, bog-like trenches and the mindless slaughter of millions of brave, courageous soldiers commanded by largely incompetent aristocratic officers who were sometimes shot by their own men.

Thomas Elkin is a fifteen-year-old farm boy who switches identity with his recently conscripted brother whom he has accidentally killed. Elkin dispooses of his brother in a rather grim fashion and heads off to war determined to die a glorious death in battle rather than face the hangman's noose in order to atone for his sins.

The author writes vividly and descriptively about the war and the terrible conditions the soldiers faced. Despite a few minor editing glitches the story is effectively told and is gripping for the reader. He brings war to life with its stench and raw brutality. It might be too much for some readers, but it is a tale worth reading. It puts into perspective the sacrifices our grandfathers and great grandfathers made. I know it made me feel proud of my grandfather who fought for the British army in "the war to end all wars".

I became familiar with the author through another of his books, The Dancing Boy, a five-star tale of Afghanistan, and it is amazing that this one was his first novel. Mr. Stolworthy sets a standard hard to beat. The ending is a twist and was a complete surprise to how I thought it would end.

I can't really call this book enjoyable but it is a must read for anyone who wants to know and truly understand what life in war is really like. Truly a masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving and Gripping Story, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
Roy has written a book which will challenge any preconceived ideas you have about war. This is a moving story which takes the reader on a roller coaster of emotions.
Heartily recommended .

5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous read!!, 18 Dec 2012
Keith Taylor (Witham, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Paperback)
This is an amazing read from start to finish and brings home the horrors of WW1. I was intrigued by the ending !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly descriptive, 24 Feb 2014
Kevin Wrapson (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished reading this. I loved the prologue as I knew from that I was in for a great story. The first chapter was a bit gruesome but set the scene.
Once Elkin gets to Catterick and starts his training the book described everything perfectly. And Elkin managed to get through the training.
Once in the trenches the description of the conditions and action is conducive to keeping the reader hooked.
Apart from being in the trenches Elkin is a true innocent, especially were girls are concerned.
According to the story he survives almost to the end of the book. But then due to a rogue German bomb he is badly burned and disfigured. And then he is finally killed by another bomb and apparently becomes the unknown soldier. OR DOES HE
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Brilliantly written

5.0 out of 5 stars Truely gripping read, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
This book captures the grim reality of war in the trenchs plus an unusual storyline which keeps the reader embroiled

5.0 out of 5 stars A very powerful story, 8 Jan 2014
Joan (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home (Kindle Edition)
An extremely powerful story set against the backdrop of the 1st World War. A very graphic account of the brutality of war and how war brutalises the people concerned in this young boy’s journey to try and assuage the guilt he feels after killing his brother. Very well written and, although the story is fictional, the battles, places and bravery have obviously been well researched. Some of the vivid descriptions of the gruesome conditions but also the comradeship and bravery of these (mostly) young people should serve as a reminder in these centenary years of just what the people involved had to suffer.

Coming Home