5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, a real page turner.
Published on 28 Nov. 2012 by sarah peters

2.0 out of 5 stars At least it was cheap...
Published 11 months ago by Mrs. S. I. Bourne

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, a real page turner., 28 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
I think this book will appeal to many readers, a bit of history, paranormal activity, real and likeable characters, living ordinary lives doing extraordinary things, and good old fashioned romantic interest. Thoroughly good book, well worth the asking price. Only thing that took a bit of getting used to was the intricate description of thoughts, places and feelings, but I seemed to notice this more in the first few pages, probably while I got used to the writers individual style.. Enjoyed it so much I read the book in 4 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Polished and heartwarming, 18 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
The White Cuckoo is a heartwarming story with a paranormal twist, which is not overpowering and complements, rather than detracts from, the main thrust of the plot. The story is about two women, one who lived in the early part of the last century and the other in the present day.

The characters are well-formed and the plot gripped me from the start. All the characters have their own problems to resolve. The secrets of the past draw the characters together as they strive to resolve the mysteries revealed by the contents of 'Alice's Box' until finally the ghosts of the past are laid to rest.

The writing is polished, the plot and sub-plots are intriguing and the story kept me turning the pages.

I can't find any other books by Annie Ireson, but I'll certainly look out for them in future.

2.0 out of 5 stars At least it was cheap..., 21 Mar. 2014
Mrs. S. I. Bourne "Sally" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
I have to say I am disappointed with this. I am about 20% through and don't think I'll bother to finish it. I don't find the main character particularly likeable and as another reviewer has commented the relationship between her and Paul is very much like something out of Mills and Boon. The paranormal element is not believable. This genre needs to be really well done or it becomes ridiculous. I find the style of writing quite confusing at times. The second chapter had me thinking that Tammy's mother was in the car with her at first. I was concerned that Tammy was spending so much time looking at herself in the rearveiw mirror and feared an accident was about to occur. None did, but the characters seem rather lifeless, so perhaps it would have been better if the author had got rid of them early on.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 1 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
An excellent story really enjoyed it however I found the love story between Tammy and Paul a bit too mills & boon and a bit overlong and boring hence the 4 stars. I did however really enjoy the story overall and would certainly recommend it. The story is a very original storyline but would like to have read more about the past mystery of what happened perhaps the author is trying to put in too many themes. Well done to the author though if this is her first novel well worth buying and I will certainly look for something from her in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully mysterious, 20 Dec. 2012
D. Watson (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Paperback)
I loved this book and got quite irritated if anyone interrupted me whilst I was reading it! It's a lovely combination of mystery, romance and some truly spine chilling moments. Getting scared whilst reading in a room containing more than 50 people showed me just how skillfully this is done! If you want to be intrigued, have a character you are rooting for all the way and just a little creeped out then this is the book for you. Can't wait for another.

4.0 out of 5 stars The White Cuckoo, 8 Feb. 2013
jofromoz (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Paperback)
The White Cuckoo
Annie has written a superb story that is interwoven across two eras, unfolding layer by layer, page by page as Tammy discovers the secrets and mysteries of two families and the community of a small village.

The main character, Tammy is extremely hurt and confused when she finds out the secrets her mother and father kept from her while she was growing up in what she thought was the perfect family unit. Although finding out the truth is hurtful it is also exciting and offers her the chance to put the past where it belongs for all concerned. She has the opportunity to repair the damage caused by the deceit and lies over the past twenty odd years and help the healing of many broken hearts and lives.

Tammy meets the man of her dreams - the perfect partner for her, but sadly one who is caught up still with a previous lover whose infidelity created heartache and misunderstandings for his family - these issues must be resolved before Tammy can have any hopes of sharing a relationship with Paul. In spite of it being love at first sight, they are both wise enough to know the wrongs have to be put right if they are to have a life together at all. Tammy feels the impact of the risk of losing Paul when she insists he visit his home town to lay the ghosts to rest.

The secrets and circumstances surrounding the start of her parents' relationship many years before, are astounding and it seems that with every page turned there is yet one more hurdle to get over before the heartbreak, confusion and the breaking apart of the family can be healed. Tammy is flabbergasted to find she has a half-sister that neither of her parents had given her any clue of.

I loved this story. It has depth. It is a story that keeps you wanting to stay with it and turn the next page, and the next. It is easy to relate to all the characters and to feel you know them as friends. There is an `hurrah' moment also when the outcome of the rapist decades ago who set the path for this story, is finally discovered and confirmed.

Annie uses her excellent writing skills to describe vividly each scene, down to the most minute detail. There is nothing borrowed from others' works or stories. It is far from being a run-of-the-mill romance chic lit story. The White Cuckoo is brilliant and I highly recommend it to those who appreciate a good yarn.

I am waiting impatiently for her next book, which I am convinced will be of the same high calibre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling story, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
The first book I've read for a long time that I have found un-put-downable. Some fantastic descriptions, sympathetic characters, and a narrative constructed to make the reader need to know how everything will tie up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tender love story spanning nearly a century, 3 Mar. 2014
Mrs. R. M. A. Tinney (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
I found this book by chance. I had never heard of the author and to the best of my knowledge, this is her only book which is a shame as its a real gem.
A tender story of the love of a mother for her daughter which lasts for eternity and affects the lives of women throughout the next century influencing them whether wives and mothers themselves or maiden aunts to nurture family life and seek justice to right past wrongs.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WHITE CUCKOO, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
If you want a cracking good story with a paranormal twist this is the book for you. Really likeable characters, beautifully written and so descriptive you feel you are actually there. I couldn't put it down. I shall look forwar5d to Annie Ireson's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 22 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The White Cuckoo (Kindle Edition)
I just loved this book. I actually felt I was in the story. didn't want the story to end. brilliant

The White Cuckoo