1,480
Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit
Size: 600WStyle Name: Fixed CablesChange
Price:£54.23+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
As a computer technician and part-time system builder i purchase on average around 50 power supplies each year and the CX600m is my go to power supply. If i have to replace a power supply in an office computer or low/mid end gaming system then this is the one i usually recommend to people, naturally that also depends on what (if any) graphics card you use or plan on using.

With the TDP (watt usage) of many computer components coming down each and every year the need for 800W+ power supplies is reducing year on year and we have now reached a situation where you can run a high end gaming system off a 600W power supply (depending on the parts you use). This power supply offers a dedicated single +12V rail which will be compatible with most components. I also like that the cables are fully-sleeved which keeps everything looking neat and tidy and for those that worry will the cables reach in a full tower (E-ATX), the cables are extra long so they will fit even the largest of cases.

Being a Semi-Modular power supply means aside from the two motherboard connectors 1x 24pin and 1x8pin (which can be split in half if your board only requires a 4pin) all the other cables can be plugged in as and when you need them which makes installation ten times easier and also means you don't have spare cables around the back which in turn makes cable management a breeze especially in smaller mATX cases.

Verdict: Good quality Branded Power supply which comes with all the cables you could possible want, being a semi-modular design simply makes it easier to handle and install, Bought many of these over the years and if you are looking for a 600W unit then i honestly wouldn't bother looking at anything else especially when you consider Corsair include a 3 year warranty! Recommended!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 29 May 2013
Cables are minimum 600mm long with the floppy cable reaching 760mm. So plenty of length here for a tower system.
Main connector 24 pin ATX
1x 8pin cpu power connector (8pin/4pin - it splits for compatability)
4x PCI-express cables (8pin/6pin - 2 split off if needed) (I needed 2 for my card so this allows for an sli expansion later on)
8x Sata connectors
6x peripheral 4pin molex style connectors for drives/fans etc.
2x floppy connectors (going unused by me but still useful to have)

Power
+3.3v @ 25A
+5v @ 25A for 130W across 3.3v and 5v combined.
+12v @ 62A for 744W max (Very nice for even the most demanding graphics cards)
-12v @ 0.8A for 9.6W
+5Vsb @ 3A for 15W

Accessories
1 mains power cable (3 pin uk) with molded plug + fuse
A bag of black cable ties for tidying up your new cable jungle.
4 screws for mounting the psu.

It went in without a bother and is quieter than my case fans.
I give this 5 stars because this is a bargain (currently 30% off rrp) for what you get from a quality maker of hardware plus this is 80+ Bronze efficiency rated and comes with a 3 year guarantee .
This has more cables and power than I currently need so plenty of room for later expansion.
I was considering the 600w cable management version but for the difference of a few pence it was silly not to get this one.

For something that is attached to all your hardware and a critical piece of kit, you do not want to skimp on quality with a psu, it is worth it for having peace of mind rather than the false economy of buying some cheap high wattage psu that could fail in less than 2 months.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 May 2013
Ill dive straight in

Pros
It is very quiet and as your playing doing tasks or whatever on your computer you are not going to hear it.
All cables needed are included as well as some removable ones, in case you don't need them.
The cables are sheathed to stop them from being damaged
Supports bottom mounted and top mounted PSU installation
There are stickers on either side of the box so that you can read the model number and name either way if it's installed up or down in the case.
It remains cool and will supply easily enough energy for your graphics card

Cons
one problem, mine didn't come with a sticker but that is the least of my worries;
overall the quality is extremely good and this PSU performs excellently. Well worth the money

Note
I had a cheap PSU 500w that kept surging the motherboard, luckily it din't damage any components. That is why i purchased a new PSU
review image review image
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 March 2014
This PSU is from a very reputable company. The build quality is awesome, the efficiency is fantastic and it powers many different PC parts with ease. It runs cool and quiet.

It runs these parts with no problems:

MSI Micro ATX motherboard
1TB HDD
AMD Radeon R9 270X (Windforce, Gigabyte)
4x Arctic cooling F12 fans (full rpm)
1x Coolermaster Hyper 212 evo
1x AMD Athlon 750K (overclocked to 4.0ghz)
8gb RAM
on 16 February 2013
This PSU is quite powerful at 62A on the 12V rails and I got it for a nice price at around £65 and is currently powering my machine that has an i5 3570k, a EVGA GTX 680 SC and 16gb of corsair vengeance and it is quiet about it.
on 12 December 2014
I bought this power supply to replace one that had completly died on me. I saw the hundreds of reviews with 4 to 5 stars and as usual I ignored the 1 and 2 star ones - saying "these are probably one offs". Little did I know that I was about to become one of those "one offs".

My intial thoughts when I first took this out is damn, I made a mistake. I thought I was buying the semi-modular model without realising I had to select it from a drop down. A clumsy mistake. I will blame the fact that I did this on my phone (as I said, the power supply on my computer was dead!).

But what a mistake it was. Compared with my previous one, there were so many wires! Too many in fact. I appreciated some of the extra ones as I had a couple of converters with the existing psu that I was able to remove, but there were then far too many!

The other problem was that the way that my computer is set up, the orientation of the SATA power cables were the wrong way, and so I have had to twist it awkwardly for all 3 of my SATA devices. I am prepared to say that this is just my computer and not everyone will have this problem. But part of me thinks that it isn't. It is standard setup to have SATA devices at the front and the PSU at the back, and it is standard to have them all the right way up!

Anyway, I pressed on. I managed to plug everything in, and did my best to tidy the plenty of other cables that there were left over. 1 positive is that they provided some cable ties albeit small ones, but still, I found them useful so well done for that.

Once everything was plugged in, I found my first problem. The switch on the back of the PSU was faulty. When I tried to click it OFF, it wouldn't fully press into the off position and then would - bounce(?) - back into the ON position. I thought this was odd, but I was able to look past it. To be honest, I don't really use this switch apart from when opening up the computer and since it was stuck in the ON position which is where I want it to be 99% of the time, this was fine. But still, this is a fault.

Moving on, everything worked. But after a couple of weeks, the power was cutting out again. The behaviour was strange. It would cut out and then the computer would try and switch it self on again but was cutting out before it could, on a loop. I would compare it to trying to start a car on a flat battery.

I initially didn't suspect the power supply at this point. I thought, there is no way it could be this brand new top seller on Amazon. Given that this all started with power problems, I suspected that this was something else. Nevetheless, I thought this behavious was unusual.

Sometimes, after a day or so, it would work fine for a week, before repeating the symptons.

When it was working, I noticed in the BIOS that the 3.3V cable was showing that it fluctuating between 2.7V to 3.0V and was coloured red.

After 3 and months of this behaviour coming and going, I decided that the 3.3V being too low was not good.

I came back onto the product page and decided to read the 2 star reviews to see if they had similar problems. And they did! They too had problems with the supply out of the box!

Amazon has a 30 day return policy and this was way past that, but I spoke to them and they arranged a replacement unit.

I installed this unit last night. The first thing I noticed was that the ON/OFF switch on the back worked fine! I was now able to press it OFF and it would stay there! I have also looked at the voltages and they all seem stable - for now.

I will now monitor over the coming months. I hope that I had just had 1 faulty unit and this one will work fine. I just felt everyone should see this!

I have rated 3 stars because when it works, it is a good PSU. But there are too many cables and it seems their quality control process needs to be looked at. Kudos to Amazon for the replacement!
on 19 October 2013
I've been updating my aging Dell XPS 420, and wanted a beefier GPU, but my stock 375w PSU was not up to the job. Step in this baby.

Installation and connection was very straight forward, the modular system makes it a breeze, and allowing you to only have in the case what you need is a really good thing, as routing the cables through my machine wasn't exactly straight forward due to the Dell layout. As someone has also said, the sleeved cables makes it look nice and neat too.

Nice and quiet, is performing well at the moment, but to be fair I've thrown nothing at it as yet.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 July 2015
My PC was a home build bare bones Core i3 2nd generation, with an Asus motherboard. I do not put it to very demanding tasks, but had some very annoying issues. The first being the refusal of Media player to play videos properly, but some would play normally. The second issue is that the PC would boot normally on about half the occasions it started it up, but on other occasions it would show the BIOS screen, giving a message that a new CPU had been installed. This was not the case, it had just lost all the BIOS settings. This became annoying very quickly. I changed the battery, upgraded the BIOS and tested the PSU and tried the video card in another PC, but nothing fixed this issue. I was googling the issues one day, to try and find a cause and I saw a recommendation go check the Asus power draw website, based on the components. I did this and it came out at 650 watt, which was a bit of a shock, as I had a 550watt Corsair. I decided to gamble on a more powerful PSU and opted for this one. The existing Corsair was given to me and the most I had for a previous PSU was under £30, of paying two and a half times as much was a bit of a gamble. The PSU arrived quickly, had loads of connectors and appears to be of good quality. I fitted it and I am very pleased to say that I have a BIOS that no longer forgets and all videos now open! I did not realise that such a difference would be made. Also, my PC now feels noticeably faster and a good bit more responsive - not sure a PSU can do that, but if a PSU cannot make that difference, then it is just a coincidence. I am delighted with the results and I do not begrudge paying a good bit more than I would do normally for this very good PSU. Very highly recommended, as a bonus. it is not too noisey either.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 March 2014
I've used a few of these power supplies going back a few years now. To date I've not had any issues with any of them.
The newer version got uprated to 80+ bronze (v normal 80+)

Pros:
+ Good price & performance
+ Fairly quiet (it's not silent but very little noise from the unit- variable speed fan)
+ 80 PLUS Bronze certified, good energy efficiency
+ Decent bundle, you get a case badge, cable, screws, cable ties (small point but a nice touch)
+ 3 year warranty
+ Active Power Factor Correction (some ultra cheap PSU's don't have this)

Cons
- Not many at this price point, hard to fault it really

Overall I've been very happy with the units I've bought and have no issues to date.
I have used a few cheaper power supplies, but in general this is the unit I use for replacements PSU's. Once you factor in the longer warranty and energy efficiency, you don't really save anything buying a sub £20 power supply

For ultra silence or quiet pc fans this is fairly good, but there are even quieter units (or passive PSU's that cost more). I don't have any complaints about the sound of the power supplies they are pretty quiet overall.

You can go modular or not, I tend not to but it's nice to have a choice. Cabling is a good length with decent sleeving on the cables. For a basic, decent quality pc power supply this is a very good option. You have a choice of power outputs, but 430w is enough for most computers unless you have a fairly meaty graphics set up.

If I get any problems with the units I have, I'll update the review to reflect that. Thumbs up from me
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 May 2015
I wanted to upgrade my GPU to a GTX 760, which needed an 8-pin power cable to use. I needed to replace my PSU to get this, and this was the one I bought. The item itself works flawlessly, is absolutely silent, powers everything fine and very efficiently. However, the reason I went for this semi-modular PSU over the fixed one was because I wanted to 'future-proof' my system to some extent, and after looking at the picture on Amazon I thought it had all the cables I needed and more. However, the number of cables it came with was far fewer than the image represented, and I actually ended up using all of the sockets and cables. It ships with 2 SATA cables, both of which have two connectors, but the cables were nowhere near long enough to reach both my optical drive and hard drive, which was what I had come to expect. Therefore, two of the 4 sockets on the PSU were already used up. I then used one more for the 8-Pin GPU cable, and one molex cable to power the case fans and LEDs, which meant I had used all of the sockets and cables it shipped with, which kind of defeats the point of a modular system. If I were to do this again, I would use the non-modular PSU version, which is a fair bit cheaper and would end up being about the same.
Maybe I just chose too small of a wattage for the number of cables I expected, or maybe I just didn't read the description well enough. Just something to consider for others out there looking through their options...