5.0 out of 5 stars LIKE USING A NEW SHAVER EVERYTIME!
My previous Panasonic ES7101S512 Triple Blade Men's Wet and Dry Shaver Silver, never really shaved as close as I wanted and expected. And it's cheaper to replace the entire razor than replacing the cutter and foils.

Published 18 months ago by Tyros

3.0 out of 5 stars Check others first
At the price It is disappointing. Closeness of shave is not as good as my 15-year-old Remmington Microscreen 3 which only cost about 50. The Clean and Renew stuff is just a wheeze to get you to buy expensive consumables. A brush and blow out has been good enough in all my 50 years of shaving.
Published 10 months ago by avidlistener

5.0 out of 5 stars LIKE USING A NEW SHAVER EVERYTIME!, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 7 745 Pulsonic Pro-System Electric Rechargeable Foil Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger (Personal Care)

Having read many reviews on various shavers, I decided on this one. The Braun Series 7 745. What an amazing shaver. It knocks spots off my old Panasonic. They say you get what you pay for! The Braun gives a true close shave, contours to every angle at ease, and the locking switch for shaving under the nose is ideal, although a little tricky to get used to operating the switch control. It's very soothing when in use, almost like a face massage.

I use the Clean and Renew Charger after each daily shave, and it's like using a new shaver each time I shave. The Cleaning Cartridges are supposed to last anything from 4 - 6 weeks. I'm testing this out and will update just how long I get out one cartridge by daily cleaning. It's a clever device as it analyzes how much of a clean, if any, it needs once inserted into the Charger Unit. It's a little noisy when it starts cleaning, but that doesn't last long, and at least it let's you know it's doing the job right! It charges and cleans.

I've tried it with both wet and dry shaving, and although I always used a wet shave, I prefer the dry with this Braun as it is so reassuringly smooth and leaves no shaving rash or cuts!

It's very comfortable to hold. Easy to use. Stylish. A little more than I had expected to pay for a reliable shaver, but very pleased I bought the Braun Series 7 745 Electric Rechargeable Foil Shaver with Clean & Renew Charger (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) Thumbs up all round!

UPDATE 14th January 2013

As promised I'm adding my latest views on this product since purchase.
Still 5 stars!
The cleaning cartridge survived 44 daily cleans before it needed changing. It performed as described by letting me know when it was running down and finally when it needed to be replaced. You will see when removing the old cartridge, how well the cleaning process is with all the residue remaining!

I did a quick calculation, which may prove helpful, with regards to running costs of this shaver. Assuming today's cartridge prices and foil/cutter replaced annually if necessary, calculates as follows;

Replacement foil and cutter around 25.00 (once a year)
Cleaning cartridge around 3.91 each (less if on a subscription about 3.52)
Based on my cartridge performing
44 cleans = 8.88p per day = per week = 0.62p p/a = 32.43
Combined running costs = 57.43 a year - 1.10 a week - 15.7p a day

If cartridges purchased on regular subscription =
8p per day = 56p a week = p/a = 29.20
Combined running costs = 54.20 a year - 1.04 a week - 14.8p a day

The shaver still feels as good as new and gives the best shave I've ever had with any other shaver. Knocks spots of buying single razers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Difference between the 745 and 790, 18 July 2013
HI after a lot off research I decided to buy the 745 as the main difference between the two is that on the bottom of the shaver the 745 only has the charge indicator while the 790 has charge and how clean the head is indicators. As I charge and clean mine every day anyway I didnt see any point in paying 50 extra for in my view an unnecessary extra. Also when you put the shaver in the cleaning dock it scans it and tells you what the state of the cleanliness. The shaver itself is great I had a panasonic shaver before this and it took ages to shave and would miss a lot of stubble. No such problems with this shaver it gets all the stubble in a couple of passes and as I have sensitive skin I get no irritation. This shaver is the best one Ive ever bought. If you are looking for a clean shave look no further BUY IT NOW

4.0 out of 5 stars A major improvement over my old Braun shaver although not perfect, 11 Jan 2014
My thoughts on having used this Series 7 745 for a few months now:

Good Bits:
+ powerful, so for a quick shave if you don't have a lot of time it will carve its way through the stubble; a major improvement over my old Braun (5441)
+ if you've got a bit more time, and you put it on the close setting, then it can deliver a very close/smooth shave. It has three levels of closeness. The closest setting does provide a noticeably closer shave (to my mind)
+ it seems to be more comfortable on my skin than my old shaver, especially if you use the least close setting which does seem to be more gentle on the skin and reduce the chance of redness and probably cutting hairs a bit longer helps prevent in-growing hairs. Even on the closest setting still feels comfortable, though
+ the speed remains constant regardless of the battery charge level (which my old Braun didn't), even when the charge level is getting low-ish
+ the long hair trimmer is a good design, as it sticks out more than my past model
+ I used to get a lot of missed hairs, and now the number that are missed has reduced, but not perfect, sadly
+ I also think the number of in-growing hairs is reduced, too, but not eliminated
+ it feels pretty comfortable in the hand
+ the cleaning system works well
+ the charge level indicator is helpful
+ the shaver will just charge only, not clean, if placed in the clean/charge unit without pressing any buttons, so that's quick and easy

Limitations, downsides, etc.:
- it used to be nice to be able to separate the cutters from the foil to give them a clean with a brush, but the integrated cutter/foil block doesn't permit this. I'm living with it, giving the block a good tap to remove the bits and hoping that the cleaning system is doing its stuff well
- it still misses hairs, even if I go over my face a few times. Maybe that's a limitation with all electric shavers, I don't know. In my case, it is usually the grey hairs that it is more likely to miss, so maybe they are more difficult to cut for some reason. If you are willing to go over the skin more carefully several times then most of the hairs are cut, and it's certainly better than my last Braun
- overall design is a bit over-stylised whereas Braun in the past had minimalist design

Tips:
> to avoid the cleaning alcohol solution from evaporating, I tend to replace the seal after each clean. Before I used to do that, I needed to replace the cleaning solution cartridge too often (not cheap), so most of it was just evaporating
> in between buying new solution cartridges, I have refilled with surgical spirit, which seems to work, although you need to clean out stubble from the cartridge.

I thought twice about paying 145 for this (the price when I bought it) but I think it's worth it now. The cost over its likely lifetime isn't much per week and it's a must-have that we use so often so worth getting something good, in my view. I can't comment as to how it compares to the Series 5 and 3, or to other brands, though, nor if the the most expensive one in the Series 7 range is worth the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great shaver from Braun, 1 Jan 2013
The old Series 7790 I own has reached the end of it's life.. it lasted about 5-6 years, so I'm happy to buy another from Braun. I'd been looking before Christmas at the Series 7 range, and the top end model (790) with Clean & Renew was too expensive for my liking (over 50 quid more), and I could see the entry-level 720 had been sold at a much lower price in the past. When this 'Amazon Exclusive' 745 appeared just before New Year I checked out the specs and it appears to be mid-way between the 720 and 790 (as you'd expect from the model number) but was actually cheaper than the 720 (which doesn't have the Clean & Renew Charger). That changed a few days later, and it's now 30 quid more than I paid, and the other models have also gone up.

The construction of the shaver feels solid, it looks pretty good, and performs just as well as my last one.. I'm tempted to say better, but it's hard to tell when the last one was ~6 years old and had a foil that was in use for nearly a year. The different shaving intensity modes do feel a bit different, with the colour of the light (which looks like it was modelled off the arc reactor in Iron Man) indicates the mode. I'm happy with the highest for now.

The design of the Clean & Renew Charger has changed from previous versions, so the old one hits landfill, which is a shame. It also dries the thing off with a heating element instead of a fan, which doesn't seem as effective. It can be cleaned under a tap, so if you don't want to shell out of the cleaning cartridges then just do that instead.

Overall, I'm impressed with the shaver and wouldn't hesitate recommending it. Watch out for it being on offer.. I'd have kicked myself if I hadn't bought it & waited a couple of days to think about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The shaver is both a fine piece of engineering and a rather shapely piece of ..., 4 July 2014
This is the first electric shaver I have bought for many years,once again I based my purchase on the many helpful reviews other purchasers have kindly offered and have found their confidence completely accurate.The shaver is both a fine piece of engineering and a rather shapely piece of ergonomic craftsmanship and it has given me the same smoothness i expect from a wet shave,to say I am delighted is putting it mildly.Its worth every penny and i have every confidence that it will do its job properly for several years.You get what you pay for and this Braun is good value even if the foil cartridges and cleaning fluids are a bit pricey,still i suppose an 18 month life isn't bad for a high quality item and the cleaning fluids do have lubricating qualities to keep the shaver in fine fettle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad not bad at all, 12 Dec 2012
Anyone that knows me will know that shavers excite me about as much as 2 punctures in a snowstorm, having religiously grown the beard each year only for that fat git from Lapland to get the job made me decide a period of clean shaven sex appeal may be the order of the day.
My previous shaver - a Philips coolskin - most certainly did not get overworked, I liked the idea of the lotion but to be honest it was it was not a good choice and maybe why Santa syndrome set in. So time for a new shaver - I am way too lazy for wet shaves and at my age way too many lumps and bumps to attack my face with what it literally a 3 bladed scalpel. On searching Amazon ( I am a prime member so looked at the free delivery options) I looked at several shavers from the cheap and cheerful to the sublimely ridiculous ( would someone pay 250+ for a shaver? ) My choice was narrowed down to a Braun series 3 or a Panasonic - yeah yeah I know I didnt buy either, bite me!! Further research made me think the Panasonic was going to be another bum buy so ticked to add the Series 3 Braun to my shopping cart, there is sat for 4 days - yeah wife says Im an ass as well. What made me do it I dont know but had a look at the braun site and done a comparison on the shavers and started to think hmmmmmm....... the series 7 seems cool but price seemed outside ( well outside) what I wanted to pay but the search came up with an Amazon special the 7 745 - still more expensive than what my tight ass'd wallet wanted to release but a considerable saving on the standard model and everything else seemed the same. The 7 745 came in and out of my cart faster than a ferret up a rabbit hole as my indecision addiction kicked in until at one pont I hit the wrong button and hit the 1 click buy - Oh well decision made for me.

Shaver arrived promptly the next day, although a prime member I am way way up North and am used to an extra day or so for delivery so kudos to Amazon dispatch and delivery. Opening the box you realise that you have bought a well made piece of kit, well packaged. Setting up the clean and charge station is simple, slot in the cartridge and plug it into the wall and insert the shaver - ok time to wait or in my case dogs for a walk, when I came back in and it was dark o clock - I thought the wife had put up a Christmas tree as this thing has more lights than times square on news years eve. The initial charge took about 3-4 hours to complete and some of the lights went out but you still have notification of how clean your shaver is and how much cleaning solution is left. I would point out at this time that you can insert the shaver to recharge without cleaning so you can efficiently use the solution to suit your own shaving routines. Time to try - at this point I had around 5 days growth, my beard is like a mis-managed wood with hairs of different thicknesses and directions - a real challenge for any shaver. So a quick trim with the inbuilt trimmer - wow!! glides through like a hot knife through butter Ok its new and sharp but the ease was impressive, one small complaint is that the clipper section clicks up from the front of the shaver and is a little awkward to use if doing anything but sideburns. Now the shave - eventually got here eh! Can only describe it as the best shave I have ever had from an electric shaver nothing I have used before has come close, it dealt with all the twisted, knotted, flat lying and steel strength hairs I could throw at it with very ittle irritation ( couple of red patches but to be honest considering how much I shave I expected a lot more)and no snagged hairs. Even it being only the fist shave it was extremely close, fast and comfortable. Cleaning is a breeze using the docking station not sure how often I would ue the cleaning function as yet, Second and third shaves have been as equally impressive it is just effortless, the shaver is no lightweight but still feels very comfortable in your hand and is fun ( OK I need to get out more) to watch the way the head contours the face in the mirror.

Overall - very very satisfied with purchase from delivery through to the product itself - beards and facial growth is individual though so others may have different experiences. I am unaware what the likes of the Braun 7 790 has that this Amazon special doesn't but I cant think of anything that would make the difference in price worthwhile unless youu are the type that must have the latest number on your gadgets.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed, 5 Mar 2014
A. Shek - See all my reviews
I was led to believe this was the best shaver out there of 2013 - reviews all hyped it up including individual buyers on this. However, for me, I was very disappointed. The gripes - loud motors, not close enough shave, cleaning unit makes a racket when used (although not that bothered when closed toilet door). The good thing is that it is very good for sensitive skin - doesn't irritate skin as much as my previous shavers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Check others first, 23 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a really good shaver, 10 Aug 2013
I have spent several months trying to choose a replacement for my poor quality Remington 5790 and like everyone, have followed the reviews, trying hard (but failing) to ignore the one and two star ratings which always seem to spoil the many more eulogistic five star critiques. So imagine my surprise when I discovered this shaver had no bad reviews at all. The only one.

As a mechanical engineer I care very much about good design, attention to detail and longevity which of course is unknowable but likely to be high if the product is made well from high class materials, both of which qualities cost money. So I have learnt to ignore the cheap alternatives as over the years you soon forget the original cost. Running costs however are a different matter and blokes of my age don't expect a shaver to have any at all, bar the occasional new foil and a tiny amount of electricity. This shaver does have a piece of wizardry, the cleaning station, which requires regular top-ups of special fluid. No problem though because you don't have to use this every day. I reckon once every two or three days is enough and in between you can rinse it under a tap.

The shave itself is without doubt the best I have ever had from an electric; it comes close to a wet razor shave but without the blood. As soon as I switched it on for the first time I sensed quality. It is very quiet, surprisingly high-pitched because it runs a lot faster than the usual 50Hz and the foil really does seem to pick up those stray hairs that the other shaver always missed. The side trimmer sticks out a sensible distance so you have good control over it. It is quite small, compact and fits the hand nicely with the buttons in the right places.

I like the fact that a decent little pouch is supplied for travelling (the old Remington had nothing; worse was the fact that he foil cover kept springing off so the shaver had no protection).

The cleaning/charging unit is covered with enough LEDs to light up the room but seems to work and is a good place to store the shaver even if it is not always used. The fluid is supplied in a flat box which slips into the base. The box is transparent so presumably when the time comes to change it you get a horrible view of the month's gloop before quickly snapping the lid on and binning it.

I have only had this for a week but I think it is a superb shaver, well worth the money. My wife is certainly appreciating the results and thinks the cleaner to be a fine solution to her perennial worries about my sloppy attitudes to hygiene.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, 19 July 2013
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
While I still believe that a wet shave gives the best and closest shave, there is no denying the convenience of electric razors. Having sworn off Phillips - which work superbly but when they go wrong, customer service is a disgrace - I tried the Braun Pulsonic Pro-System. Overall, reasonably happy. For best results, this system is best when you use it every day. If you like to let the stubble grow for a day or so - or over the weekend say - it takes a while to mow through and had a habit of leaving bits which is annoying.

The two big selling USPs are the "pulse system" and the cleaning bit. The pulse system is OK I guess although it's hard to see that it makes a huge difference. You have to press quite hard to get a good shave and while I have been put off the Phillips razors for life, it has to be said that I think the rotary blade system works better for me than the straight system - but that's a personal thing I guess. I'm not convinced that the pulse idea isn't more marketing than engineering though. More Braun than brains as it were.

The cleaning / dock system is a nice touch. The difference between this and the top of the line model is that this doesn't have a motor fan to dry the unit after cleaning so it just drip dries which can take up to three hours. This can be a bit irritating if, like me, you suddenly find you've missed a bit and need to go over a bit half an hour or so after shaving - you can still do it but the unit will be cold and wet and very lemony! Again, I suspect that the cleaning solutions (they last about a month if you use them every day) is a way of getting a recurring income off what is a one off sale, but I must say that the clean unit is nice and the lemony smell is pleasant without making it smell like a loo cleaner. In fact, I find a new tank makes the room smell a bit like a hotel room. Also, the drip dry thing is a problem if you are shaving and then packing the unit in the nice travel pouch to go travelling as you will be putting a damp unit in if you have just cleaned it. Of course, there's not compunction to clean it after every use. I must say I use the cleaning bit more than I thought I would though.

It takes an hour or so to charge fully (although if you clean it the unit also charges it so you are unlikely to run this down much). If you are travelling, you can get about 50 minutes out of it without re-charging - or nine or ten shaves in practice. You can use the lead that goes to the cleaning unit to charge the razor directly and to power it so there is no need to cart the chunky cleaning kit with you if you go on holiday.

I haven't tried the major direct competitor - the Panasonic range - but I'm reasonably pleased with the Braun. For important meetings, I still tend to wet shave though. The proof of the pudding as it were is if you use the Braun and then wet shave - you do still take off a small, but noticeable amount of hairs - although that will partly depend on individual hair growth. It's well designed though.