5.0 out of 5 stars LIKE USING A NEW SHAVER EVERYTIME!
My previous Panasonic ES7101S512 Triple Blade Men's Wet and Dry Shaver Silver, never really shaved as close as I wanted and expected. And it's cheaper to replace the entire razor than replacing the cutter and foils.

Published 22 months ago by Tyros

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed
Published 9 months ago by A. Shek

5.0 out of 5 stars LIKE USING A NEW SHAVER EVERYTIME!, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Braun Series 7 745 Pulsonic Pro-System Electric Rechargeable Foil Shaver with Clean and Renew Charger (Personal Care)

Having read many reviews on various shavers, I decided on this one. The Braun Series 7 745. What an amazing shaver. It knocks spots off my old Panasonic. They say you get what you pay for! The Braun gives a true close shave, contours to every angle at ease, and the locking switch for shaving under the nose is ideal, although a little tricky to get used to operating the switch control. It's very soothing when in use, almost like a face massage.

I use the Clean and Renew Charger after each daily shave, and it's like using a new shaver each time I shave. The Cleaning Cartridges are supposed to last anything from 4 - 6 weeks. I'm testing this out and will update just how long I get out one cartridge by daily cleaning. It's a clever device as it analyzes how much of a clean, if any, it needs once inserted into the Charger Unit. It's a little noisy when it starts cleaning, but that doesn't last long, and at least it let's you know it's doing the job right! It charges and cleans.

I've tried it with both wet and dry shaving, and although I always used a wet shave, I prefer the dry with this Braun as it is so reassuringly smooth and leaves no shaving rash or cuts!

It's very comfortable to hold. Easy to use. Stylish. A little more than I had expected to pay for a reliable shaver, but very pleased I bought the Braun Series 7 745 Electric Rechargeable Foil Shaver with Clean & Renew Charger (Exclusive to Amazon.co.uk) Thumbs up all round!

UPDATE 14th January 2013

As promised I'm adding my latest views on this product since purchase.
Still 5 stars!
The cleaning cartridge survived 44 daily cleans before it needed changing. It performed as described by letting me know when it was running down and finally when it needed to be replaced. You will see when removing the old cartridge, how well the cleaning process is with all the residue remaining!

I did a quick calculation, which may prove helpful, with regards to running costs of this shaver. Assuming today's cartridge prices and foil/cutter replaced annually if necessary, calculates as follows;

Replacement foil and cutter around £25.00 (once a year)
Cleaning cartridge around £3.91 each (less if on a subscription about £3.52)
Based on my cartridge performing
44 cleans = 8.88p per day = per week = £0.62p p/a = £32.43
Combined running costs = £57.43 a year - £1.10 a week - 15.7p a day

If cartridges purchased on regular subscription =
8p per day = 56p a week = p/a = £29.20
Combined running costs = £54.20 a year - £1.04 a week - 14.8p a day

The shaver still feels as good as new and gives the best shave I've ever had with any other shaver. Knocks spots of buying single razers!

4.0 out of 5 stars A major improvement over my old Braun shaver although not perfect, 11 Jan 2014
My thoughts on having used this Series 7 745 for a few months now:

Good Bits:
+ powerful, so for a quick shave if you don't have a lot of time it will carve its way through the stubble; a major improvement over my old Braun (5441)
+ if you've got a bit more time, and you put it on the close setting, then it can deliver a very close/smooth shave. It has three levels of closeness. The closest setting does provide a noticeably closer shave (to my mind)
+ it seems to be more comfortable on my skin than my old shaver, especially if you use the least close setting which does seem to be more gentle on the skin and reduce the chance of redness and probably cutting hairs a bit longer helps prevent in-growing hairs. Even on the closest setting still feels comfortable, though
+ the speed remains constant regardless of the battery charge level (which my old Braun didn't), even when the charge level is getting low-ish
+ the long hair trimmer is a good design, as it sticks out more than my past model
+ I used to get a lot of missed hairs, and now the number that are missed has reduced, but not perfect, sadly
+ I also think the number of in-growing hairs is reduced, too, but not eliminated
+ it feels pretty comfortable in the hand
+ the cleaning system works well
+ the charge level indicator is helpful
+ the shaver will just charge only, not clean, if placed in the clean/charge unit without pressing any buttons, so that's quick and easy

Limitations, downsides, etc.:
- it used to be nice to be able to separate the cutters from the foil to give them a clean with a brush, but the integrated cutter/foil block doesn't permit this. I'm living with it, giving the block a good tap to remove the bits and hoping that the cleaning system is doing its stuff well
- it still misses hairs, even if I go over my face a few times. Maybe that's a limitation with all electric shavers, I don't know. In my case, it is usually the grey hairs that it is more likely to miss, so maybe they are more difficult to cut for some reason. If you are willing to go over the skin more carefully several times then most of the hairs are cut, and it's certainly better than my last Braun
- overall design is a bit over-stylised whereas Braun in the past had minimalist design

Tips:
> to avoid the cleaning alcohol solution from evaporating, I tend to replace the seal after each clean. Before I used to do that, I needed to replace the cleaning solution cartridge too often (not cheap), so most of it was just evaporating
> in between buying new solution cartridges, I have refilled with surgical spirit, which seems to work, although you need to clean out stubble from the cartridge.

I thought twice about paying £145 for this (the price when I bought it) but I think it's worth it now. The cost over its likely lifetime isn't much per week and it's a must-have that we use so often so worth getting something good, in my view. I can't comment as to how it compares to the Series 5 and 3, or to other brands, though, nor if the the most expensive one in the Series 7 range is worth the extra money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Difference between the 745 and 790, 18 July 2013
HI after a lot off research I decided to buy the 745 as the main difference between the two is that on the bottom of the shaver the 745 only has the charge indicator while the 790 has charge and how clean the head is indicators. As I charge and clean mine every day anyway I didnt see any point in paying £50 extra for in my view an unnecessary extra. Also when you put the shaver in the cleaning dock it scans it and tells you what the state of the cleanliness. The shaver itself is great I had a panasonic shaver before this and it took ages to shave and would miss a lot of stubble. No such problems with this shaver it gets all the stubble in a couple of passes and as I have sensitive skin I get no irritation. This shaver is the best one Ive ever bought. If you are looking for a clean shave look no further BUY IT NOW

4.0 out of 5 stars Well designed, 19 July 2013
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
While I still believe that a wet shave gives the best and closest shave, there is no denying the convenience of electric razors. Having sworn off Phillips - which work superbly but when they go wrong, customer service is a disgrace - I tried the Braun Pulsonic Pro-System. Overall, reasonably happy. For best results, this system is best when you use it every day. If you like to let the stubble grow for a day or so - or over the weekend say - it takes a while to mow through and had a habit of leaving bits which is annoying.

The two big selling USPs are the "pulse system" and the cleaning bit. The pulse system is OK I guess although it's hard to see that it makes a huge difference. You have to press quite hard to get a good shave and while I have been put off the Phillips razors for life, it has to be said that I think the rotary blade system works better for me than the straight system - but that's a personal thing I guess. I'm not convinced that the pulse idea isn't more marketing than engineering though. More Braun than brains as it were.

The cleaning / dock system is a nice touch. The difference between this and the top of the line model is that this doesn't have a motor fan to dry the unit after cleaning so it just drip dries which can take up to three hours. This can be a bit irritating if, like me, you suddenly find you've missed a bit and need to go over a bit half an hour or so after shaving - you can still do it but the unit will be cold and wet and very lemony! Again, I suspect that the cleaning solutions (they last about a month if you use them every day) is a way of getting a recurring income off what is a one off sale, but I must say that the clean unit is nice and the lemony smell is pleasant without making it smell like a loo cleaner. In fact, I find a new tank makes the room smell a bit like a hotel room. Also, the drip dry thing is a problem if you are shaving and then packing the unit in the nice travel pouch to go travelling as you will be putting a damp unit in if you have just cleaned it. Of course, there's not compunction to clean it after every use. I must say I use the cleaning bit more than I thought I would though.

It takes an hour or so to charge fully (although if you clean it the unit also charges it so you are unlikely to run this down much). If you are travelling, you can get about 50 minutes out of it without re-charging - or nine or ten shaves in practice. You can use the lead that goes to the cleaning unit to charge the razor directly and to power it so there is no need to cart the chunky cleaning kit with you if you go on holiday.

I haven't tried the major direct competitor - the Panasonic range - but I'm reasonably pleased with the Braun. For important meetings, I still tend to wet shave though. The proof of the pudding as it were is if you use the Braun and then wet shave - you do still take off a small, but noticeable amount of hairs - although that will partly depend on individual hair growth. It's well designed though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but clean station is noisy, 22 Mar 2014
It is a well built product. My first impression was very good and I would have given it five starts with no hesitation.

However, the clean station is quite noise for the first 15-20 minutes and it takes quite a long time to complete process. I was not expecting this and am quite disappointed with it. For that reason I cannot use it most of the time but only at the weekends.

I also found that in the curvy areas the shaving is not very effective and you would have to stretch your skin and go against the growing direction of your beard to get it done. I feel that Philips rotary shaver performed better in this aspect.

My unit failed within the first month of use. I believe a fault with the charging cable. It was an inconvenience but Amazon replaced it very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great shaver from Braun, 1 Jan 2013
The old Series 7790 I own has reached the end of it's life.. it lasted about 5-6 years, so I'm happy to buy another from Braun. I'd been looking before Christmas at the Series 7 range, and the top end model (790) with Clean & Renew was too expensive for my liking (over 50 quid more), and I could see the entry-level 720 had been sold at a much lower price in the past. When this 'Amazon Exclusive' 745 appeared just before New Year I checked out the specs and it appears to be mid-way between the 720 and 790 (as you'd expect from the model number) but was actually cheaper than the 720 (which doesn't have the Clean & Renew Charger). That changed a few days later, and it's now 30 quid more than I paid, and the other models have also gone up.

The construction of the shaver feels solid, it looks pretty good, and performs just as well as my last one.. I'm tempted to say better, but it's hard to tell when the last one was ~6 years old and had a foil that was in use for nearly a year. The different shaving intensity modes do feel a bit different, with the colour of the light (which looks like it was modelled off the arc reactor in Iron Man) indicates the mode. I'm happy with the highest for now.

The design of the Clean & Renew Charger has changed from previous versions, so the old one hits landfill, which is a shame. It also dries the thing off with a heating element instead of a fan, which doesn't seem as effective. It can be cleaned under a tap, so if you don't want to shell out of the cleaning cartridges then just do that instead.

Overall, I'm impressed with the shaver and wouldn't hesitate recommending it. Watch out for it being on offer.. I'd have kicked myself if I hadn't bought it & waited a couple of days to think about it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed, 5 Mar 2014
A. Shek - See all my reviews
I was led to believe this was the best shaver out there of 2013 - reviews all hyped it up including individual buyers on this. However, for me, I was very disappointed. The gripes - loud motors, not close enough shave, cleaning unit makes a racket when used (although not that bothered when closed toilet door). The good thing is that it is very good for sensitive skin - doesn't irritate skin as much as my previous shavers.

4.0 out of 5 stars From wet shave to electric foil shave - a leap of faith, 16 Jan 2014
S. K. Tilbury (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
Having become somewhat despondent regarding the short life of today's expensive razor blades (my Gillette G4's were only really giving me ten days before needing to change them), I thought long and hard about moving to an electric shaver. I canvassed friends who I knew to use shavers, and I read more reviews than I probably care to admit to. Some of the reviews definitely helped, and some clearly tried their best to dissuade a new user from ever venturing over from the wet side. I chose to go with the Series 7 745 shaver, it being the very first one I would have ever tried or used. I rate Braun products quite highly, I think the engineering and manufacturing quality is second to none, and so it was an obvious choice for me over the Phillishave unit.

The product is definitely made to a good standard, and the package contents were decently protected within the carton. The overall finish of the shaver is very sharp, no complaints there. It feels weighty enough to say "decent build", but not so heavy as to become a chore when using it. 1 hour's charge was sufficient to get it up and running and I was eager to try out my first electric shave. I was sporting a two day stubble as I had purposefully not shaved, intent on giving it something to work against. Apprehension was high when I first put the head to my skin, was I pressing hard enough, was I angling it correctly? I needn't have worried, the unit quickly removed the stubble and left no marks or "burns" which had been a concern. The first shave was clean, but not perfect, and I have since learned that it takes a few passes on certain areas to get the best results.

I am suitably impressed with the speed with which it cuts and removes whiskers, generally a firm pressure with a sensibly slow stroke will yield good results. If you over pass an area too many times, it will leave the skin looking a little dry, but nothing that a good slap of moisturiser wont cure! Occasionally I will still deploy the wet razor to just stroke a certain bit to get a really clean close shave, but it is just a quick glide to catch the awkward whiskers that defeat my shaving motion (tends to be random, just on certain days so it's probably me and not the shaver).

I use the intensive shave for all areas, and I have only had one instance where I noticed a couple of shaving bumps on my lower neck. These came and went over 24 hours and I think my skin has not gotten used to the shaver's effect, and I have not experienced any further bumps after shaving since. The first week's use was probably spent trying out different pressures and techniques, and now after my second week's use I am comfortable with how much pressure to apply on all areas of my face. I tend to use the cleaning process daily, as I just like to know I am getting the best shave possible with a clean lubricated foil every time. It's still early days, but I have to say I am sufficiently impressed with the results to stay with the 745 Series shaver over my G4 razor. Rated four stars out of five as I do sometimes need to just pick up the wet razor and tiggle a couple of areas for completeness, plus, the re-charging unit itself is quite big and takes up a goodly portion of the bathroom cabinet shelf, which possibly could have been designed to be a little slimmer overall, but honestly, I'm picking at hairs now .... if you're in the market for an electric shaver, then this model is as good as it probably gets at this point in your life.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but no WOW factor, 12 May 2013
Having been a Braun addict for over 20 years I was really looking forward to trying the new Series 7, my previous 7 is about 5 years old and I felt that after 3 cutter and foil replacements I should consider buying a new Pulsonic version. My old shaver still holds charge for about 10 shaves so didn't need replacing due to wear and tear.

I have used the 745 for 3 weeks now and cannot perceive any benefit in closeness of shave compared to my previous model. In fact the design of the long hair trimmer on the new model is very gimmicky and not as functional as the old slide up version.

Another negative for me is the new clean and renew system isn't as good as the old one and the shaver is out of action for over 4 hours as the manual drying process takes it's time.

As other reviewers have mentioned there is no plastic head cover for the shaver, which is probably because P&G/Gillette believe that by not providing one users will be more likely to put the shaver in the clean and renew unit after every shave, obviously to get you to spend more money after already making a massive outlay for the new shaver in the first place!

Finally the integrated foil and cutter doesn't shave any closer than the previous models with removable foils, which allowed easy manual cleaning, again a case of the manufacturer wanting to force users into regularly using the clean and renew unit.

After a significant outlay I wish I had not taken it as read that Braun are the best and will continually improve their products. I would much have preferred the option of buying a similar shaver to my old 7630. Next time I will definitely consider changing brands to Panasonic who seem to be getting better reviews than Braun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Check others first, 23 Sep 2013
At the price It is disappointing. Closeness of shave is not as good as my 15-year-old Remmington Microscreen 3 which only cost about £50. The Clean and Renew stuff is just a wheeze to get you to buy expensive consumables. A brush and blow out has been good enough in all my 50 years of shaving.