5.0 out of 5 stars The best gets better
Published 18 months ago by John Clayton III

3.0 out of 5 stars Long winded
Very very long drawn out intro where you do nothing for four hours. Personally I can't see the fun in the game but I'm not a fan of this.
Published 3 months ago by D. Brookes

5.0 out of 5 stars The best gets better, 25 Feb 2013
John Clayton III (Greystoke) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
As my past reviews have shown, I am absolutely potty for Persona, with Persona 3 and the PS2 original of Persona 4 easily being my fave games of the last console generation. You'd think there wouldn't be a lot you could do to improve on perfection with regard to Persona 4, but Atlus have somehow managed just that with Persona 4 Golden by taking the original, improving it in just about every way and adding in a ton of new content and bonus material that takes an amazing game and turns it into an essential one for newcomers and veterans of the PS2 version alike. This is an incredible release. There is no two ways about that... Though obviously as a vet myself, you'll forgive me if this review is more focused on what's new rather than going over game basics again.

The story is obviously mostly the same as the original, with you controlling a silent protagonist schoolboy (Whose name is apparently "officially" Yu Narukami if you've seen the anime series adaption. You can still call him whatever you like here though.) who is going to live with his uncle for a year in order to attend school in the small Japanese town of Inaba. Once there he becomes embroiled in a serial murder case connected to a hidden world of shadow monsters inside TV screens. You know, the usual. The story of this game is probably it's greatest strength as it is a very well written, charming tale with some of the finest character development ever seen in a game and a lot of genuinely funny dialogue coupled with an engrossing central mystery. A lot of work has clearly gone into ensuring the game's writing quality shines through in the english translation as well, so it's a relief that Atlus decided to go the extra mile once again on this front. In terms of new material added in for the Golden version's story, there are a LOT of new events added in and a lot of expanded character development scenes put in as well as a new character with an extensive new subplot centred on them that actually can prove pretty major to the overall story if you play it right and a number of additional animated sequences that expand the more lighthearted, comedic elements of the story. Additionally, there's even an extensive new ending that can be unlocked on top of the three or so that were in the original game that is just perfect. It's definitely a much longer game in story terms this time around, but it is no less charming or compulsive for it... quite the opposite in fact. However, I did note there were several new scenes (Some even using animated sequences) added in for no other reason than to show the female members of the cast in various states of undress, usually while sharing a bath together. Stay classy Japan.

Gameplay is largely unchanged, just expanded a bit, with the "social" elements of the game giving you a lot more options with regard to what you can do during your days in inaba (Including new areas to unlock and visit), but at the same time adding in a major element to this part of the game that was in Persona 3, but not Persona 4 on PS2... and that is the ability to actually go out at night and explore Inaba, which again offers new events, new options and further new scenes with other characters. There is quite a lot of new material here. The other part of the game, the TV world's dungeon crawling combat sequences, isn't quite as heavily changed and added to. The whole game has been rebalanced and there are lots of new Personas to collect and side quests to complete together with a much more user friendly fusion/customisation system and a new, secret dungeon that can be unlocked... but beyond this, there are no huge changes to the combat and dungeoning elements of the game... Unless you count the hilariously insane new costume system that allows you to change the character's appearance (eg. you can unlock the ability to dress your team as characters from Persona 3, which makes them act like the character they're dressed as during victory posing in battle.). The combat is as accessible and satisfying as always though. The game on the whole is still aces on the gameplay front across the board.

Visually, while the game is still using the same graphical assets as the PS2 version (Which weren't exactly the most impressive visuals on PS2 to be honest), the visuals have been given a pretty impressive new lick of paint that improves and cleans up details on the backgrounds and character models and adds in new little touches everywhere (New lighting effects, birds hopping along the ground that fly away when you approach, snowfall weather elements... there's a lot added in). It looks great here all told. The soundtrack of course is amazing as always, with it being largely unchanged from the PS2 version, but there are a number of new pieces of music here that are just as good as everything else on the soundtrack, most especially the new daytime theme song that plays during the snowy days. Though I have to admit I was not particularly fond of the ill fittingly cheery new opening theme song (The PS2 original opening is on here as well though thankfully). The voice acting is again superb on the whole, but there are a couple of characters whose voice actors have changed since the original (Namely Teddie and Chie), and I didn't really like the new voices as much, but they do an okay job I guess. It's still good on this score.

This is easily the definitive version of this game, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the definitive version of one of the best JRPGs of the last decade is a proposition you would be a fool to pass up. Not only does this release have everything the original PS2 game had, it has more EVERYTHING coming out it's ears... More story, more characters, more enemies, more Personas, more areas to explore, more stuff to do, more voice acting, more music... anything you can think of from Persona 4, it's here and then some. Add to this an extensive collection of bonus content about the game (Music concert videos, detailed concept/promotional art with full commentary, trailers for the entire Persona series from Japan, mini games... tons of it.) and you have here a rare release that I would honestly describe as utterly essential if you have even the most passing of interest in games of this type. Buy now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sets A New Gold(en) Standard For Games, 23 Feb 2013
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
I bought Persona 4: Golden on a whim after hearing lots of praise about the Persona series on the internet, and thought it would click well with my current taste in games - Japanese handheld games with RPG elements such as The World Ends With You, Radiant Historia, 999, Ghost Trick, etc. etc. The Persona series was completely unknown to me (although I had heard of Shin Megami Tensei, the parent franchise of the game), so it was a bit of a gamble, but I bought a Vita and imported P4:G from Canada so that I'd have lots of time to play it before my finals.

In a sentence, P4:G reawakened my childhood love of video games. It has been a long, long time since a game has been able to make me feel so immersed in its plot, characters and setting as P4:G has, despite being very Japanese and just a little bit alien. The Scooby Doo-meets-Serial Killer plot of game is strong and well-written, and getting to the core of the mystery of the game is a delightful whodunnit. The gameplay itself can be divided into two sections: a solid dungeon crawler that composes ~1/4 - 1/3 of the game and living the life of a secondary school student in Japan. It's this second section that contains the real appeal of the game - its complex and fascinating characters. I have never played a game, or possibly even enjoyed fiction, where I have felt such a deep empathy for the characters. As you develop trust and friendships with the characters, your 'Persona' in the dungeon crawler of the game becomes more powerful, incentivising you to become close friends to and learn about your buddies in the 'Investigation Team', as well as your peers and strangers in the weird town of Inaba. Helping the 'thuggish' Kanji realise that his talent for making stuffed animals is something to celebrate rather than be ashamed of; comforting your little cousin Nanako as her dad's work consumes the care and attention she deserves; and helping your best friend grieve and come to terms with Saki's death are some of the more conventional sub-plots, and are woven into a script that features plenty of events, banter and slapstick.

Other strengths of the game include fantastic English voice acting, a rarity in JRPGs (although the change in Chie's voice actress since the PS2 release is apparently controversial), and a soundtrack that includes some absolutely godly song. Admittedly, the game would have benefited from a slightly wider range of both battle and environment themes, simply due to the long playtime of the game (~70 hours at least). Likewise, whilst the dungeon environments change completely from one dungeon to another and remain interesting, the dungeon designs themselves could have been designed better and could have featured variation. However, neither of these was a dealbreaker for my enjoyment of the game.

TL;DR: Persona 4: Golden is a masterpiece. If you already own a Vita, you are wasting money if you have not bought it for your machine, given the drought of good games on that particular console. If you don't already have a Vita, you'll have to think harder about whether you think P4:G and a Vita is worth it and do some more research, but I personally have no regrets. One thing I can't do I am afraid is I can't speak for if the new content in the game since the PS2 release is worth it for people who have already, but I suspect current fans of the series will already have made up their minds on whether to buy P4:G or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
I will start off by saying that I had not played a Persona game prior to this, I bought it purely on a whim....and I can't recommend this game enough!
It's a whole new experience and I haven't played anything like it before.

As a few others have said, it starts off fairly slow, but once you get a few hours in, that's it, you're hooked!

I have just completed that game, having put over 70 hours into it, and in that time there was not once where I was bored. In fact, once I was approaching the end I just wanted it to carry on, the main reason for that is due to the very in-depth character development.

It's character development is it's strongest feature in my opinion. Developing these bonds helps you develop your personas and that of your teams.
Its very rewarding, and you end up feeling that you really know these people, which is good because you feel for them and want to see them succeed.
The characters themselves are all very likable and each have their own personality.
I have not seen the use of characters used as strongly as in this game before, it's fantastically done, I can't exaggerate that enough!

The battle system, while it seems the usual turn-based system, is kept fresh with a few features, such as knocking the enemies down and team attacks, it adds a whole new strategy to the battles.

The story is fantastic, it keeps you guessing and adds loads of twists and turns, it kept me thinking even while I wasn't playing the game.
It is a lengthy game, as I said, I have put over 70 hours into it. But as well as solving the mystery and battling the enemies, you also have to live the busy life of a teenager.

It is at these points, that you have to go to school, get a job, develop your relationships with everyone as well as your own character.
All of it is rewarding and worth investing your time in it.

I wish I had been a Persona fan from when it started, but after playing this game (almost like living an alternate life rather than playing a game) I am now totally hooked. I'm just sad this experience had to end.

This is up there with my favourite games and I couldn't recommend it enough
Don't miss your opportunity to play this game!

Ps. Via the online feature added to this game, you can request help, in the form of health and other boosts in the dungeons.
If you need help my PSN is RavenGunner

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I miss out on this gem for 4 nearly 5 years???, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
I was on the fence about getting this game, having never really heard of this game or played a game by Atlus, for 30 I was weary. The reason it got my attention was by looking up on Metacritic, where not only was it the highest rated Vita game, but on 94/100.

In the end I thought if they reckon its that good, I have to atleast give it a try. So bought it and now, im an avid Persona fan. I played it none stop, on my first play through without anywhere near 100% completion, I clocked up 90 hours!! just going through the story and doing the odd side quest I knew how to do. It was a bit slow to start off, taking close to 3 hours before I even had my first taste of combat. But after that the game just hooks you in and wont let go. After playing this game and enjoying it so much, I brought Persona 3, been buying Persona posters, I even have it as my wallpaper on my PC and tablet, I have been totally converted!

If you enjoy a good RPG, this one ranks among the best I have played. Just beware, it might take over your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem of a game for the Vita!, 28 Feb 2013
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
Persona 4 Golden is one of the best games I've played. The story is amazing, the characters are really interesting and the voice acting is superb. The battle system is fun, you control your character but can tell the rest of your party how to act (all out attack, or heal/support for example). I got this game after playing the first Persona on the PSP, I tried Persona 3 FES briefly but then saw that this was being released. I couldn't wait so I imported the game from Amazon.com and I've loved every minute. Although the game is a little slow to start, once it does you won't be able to put it down.

There's a nifty app on the Android store (not sure if it's on any other devices) called 'Persona 4 Helper' which is really useful for the questions that you get in class and how to get the Social Links for your Personas. (Hope this helps)

Buy this game you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solve a murder! Scourge the dungeons! Befriend a... Fox?, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
As far as RPGs go, this is easily one of the best. Its engrossing story and loveable characters are only accentuated by the vastness of the game's overall content, seeing as a primary run of this game will last you about 100 hours, with much left open for multiple play throughs after.

I picked this up as I have been getting into the SMT series, and, having just finished P3 FES/P, this one seemed the right place to go, and I was not wrong there. However, if you are a fan of the SMT series as a whole and are approaching this as a new title, then you may come away a little disappointed. This is not a mark against the game itself, as, taken as a standalone title, it works in ever conceivable way, but when taken as a part of the overall SMT universe, it does come away a little short.

Basically, if you're looking to get into one of the greatest gaming franchises ever conceived, this is a great place to start. If you're looking for something with the same kind of wow-factor as SMT 3/P3, you might be a smidge disappointed.

Definitely worth a play, either way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Game:fantastic. Delivery: a little long, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
The game is phenomenal, with a well considered learning curve, but enough content to keep you going for a long time. In terms of "bang for buck", this has to be up there I shall concede, that there are a lot of lengthy cut scenes. I love the lore aspect of an RPG, but if you just want action then this probably isn't for you. It takes two to three hours from starting the game to actually hit the combat. This time is filled with back story and setting up some of the many mechanics this game has. I've put over forty hours in so far and I don't feel like I'm at the end. There is a lot to do. However, if you want a review of the game, there are plenty of dedicated journalism websites to cater for that.

I had to pay four pounds for delivery, which I was okay with, given how marked down the game was, but I was still waiting for a full week before it arrived. When I opened the package, I found why. The game had been sent from America. At this juncture, I should say that the Playstation Vita is region-free. There is no issue with plugging in a game cartridge from one country into a Vita from another. If this were not the case, I wouldn't have put forty hours into hhe game. To repeat: PSV is *not* region locked. The only significance this had was that delivery took a while. If you want the game ASAP, make sure to buy from a more local supplier. That said, I received my copy in perfect condition, cellophane and all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true JRPG, a worthy sequel to Persona 3, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
Persona 4 Golden is a true blue JRPG; it's story driven, has an immense amount of player and NPC character development, has some truly bizarre elements and, of course, requires an amount of grinding in order to level up enough to beat some of the hard core bosses. I enjoyed playing (and replaying) P4G IMMENSELY! However, if you don't enjoy JRPGs, and aren't willing to invest a lot of time in the game, you probably are not going to be a fan.

PREMISE
The story follows a similar path to previous Persona games. You take control of an unvoiced character, a school boy (unlike Persona 3 Portable, you are limited to playing the male protagonist) sent to live with his aunty and uncle in Belai.... err, sorry, sent to live with his uncle and adorable little cousin in a backwater town in Japan, called Inaba.

Upon arrival in Inaba, weird things start to happen; there's a serial murderer to apprehend, classmates to save and shadow monsters to kill in a weird world hidden inside the TVs of Inaba. In keeping with previous Persona games there is a well crafted story running through the game, requiring you to spend time developing your character attributes and talking with the inhabitants of Inaba to develop friendships, level up and get access to items or additional quests and paths in the story.

There are plenty of beautifully drawn and animated cut scenes to progress the story, complete with funny dialogue and some great voice acting. The humour is quite immature and slightly slapstick - which I found hilarious. Some of the humour is quirky and very Japanese.

GAME MECHANICS
If you're familiar with the Persona series, you will be familiar with the game play mechanics. You level up by trawling through the TV world levels, killing shadows and opening chests to uncover items. You have to balance your free time between raising your character's attributes, earning money to buy items to help in the TV world and developing your relationships with NPCs. Neglect an area at your peril! You will find yourself grinding for XP and items in the TV world, to make future fights easier or complete quests given to you by Inaba inhabitants. You can unlock some awesome weapons this way, and also some quite frankly bizarrely inappropriate 'weapons', armour and costumes. Taken the time to talk to your team in the TV world after changing costumes, for some quite funny reactions.

Combat hasn't changed much, and there's a vast variety of opponents with their own weaknesses to keep you on your toes. As per previous Personas, working out good team member combinations, taking into account their weaknesses and strengths is essential.
Again, you collect and choose which 'Persona' cards to bring with you and equip. Fusing cards to make new Personas is still an important part, and mandatory if you want to max out all of your social relationships.

REPLAY VALUE
The variety of endings you get and choices you make when socialising with NPCs provide many, many more hours of replay entertainment. Thankfully, as with previous Personas, you can carry over many of your stats and unlocks from your previous run through, which eases the pressure on free time management.

ADDITIONAL GOLDEN CONTENT
Golden brings in a lot of new quests, story and characters on top of the original content in Persona 4, which provides even more hours of game play and a new ending to unlock. Thankfully, the endings are nowhere near as depressing as Person 3 (some scenes will still pluck at the ole heartstrings and maybe elicit a choked back sob) but they are very satisfying nonetheless. There are also additional trophies to be earned.

IN SUMMARY
A brilliant game, with a funny, engaging story, beautifully animation and hours of game play. It does justice to the excellent Persona series and is a must for anyone with even the slightest interest in JRPGs. I Love This Game!

5.0 out of 5 stars EVERYDAY IS GREAT AT YOUR JUNES!, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
If you are even remotely interested in JRPG games, then look no further than P4G. I'll admit, this is the first Persona title i have played as i never had a PS2 during that generation. I adore my JRPG's and i can safely say this is the best i've played yet, my previous favourite was Tales Of Vesperia but this eclipses even that!

I'm 168 hours into the game, i've completed it twice and i'm now starting the 3rd playthrough and to be honest i can't wait. If you like JRPG's and anime, then this is guarateed to amaze. If you aren't a fan of anime, then you may be after playing this game.

There is a fantastic music selection throughout the entire game. Even after hundreds of hours they never become tiresome. The best soundtrack for a videogame since GTA III. Cutesy J-Pop and awesome club beats meet for a real treat for the ears. You will be humming them in your sleep.

The game has the best story i've ever seen in a game, i've never been more into a game than i have with this. There's all kinds of ups and downs, it's hilarious one minute then heartbreaking the next. The voice acting is flawless, the voices chosen for the dub fit each character perfectly and it's never once cheesy or irritating.

Pros:

The loading times are almost non existent, literally 2 to 3 seconds and thats sparingly.
The HD graphics are lovely and vibrant on the Vita screen, the presentation is outstanding with nice clean colourful menus.
The dungeon's are varied and never get boring when grinding levels.
The Persona system is brilliant, and collecting them / fusing them will take ages.
Developing social links with people around town is fun and rewarding.
The voice acting is outstanding, some of the best dub work i've heard.

Cons:

There's barely anything wrong with the game, but if i was to nit pick, the only thing that has annoyed me is when the game skips a few days due to exams at school, so you miss out on a week of social link building and so on. The game is that addictive, you want to maximise every day you have.

So basically, it's worth buying a Vita for, i did and i'm so glad. This is already in my top 5 games of all time and that's with 26 years gaming experience. I might even buy the US copy as i hear it has a separate trophy list so i can redo the entire game again....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) (Video Game)
If you haven't played Persona before i suggest you start off with this one, its the best in the series by far and playing it on the Vita makes it even better, theres more than 80 hours of gameplay and it is well worth the time.

Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita)
Persona 4 Golden (PlayStation Vita) by NIS America (PlayStation Vita)
13.99