Really struggled choosing between this one at 499 and the one at 549, with 2GB more Ram and a dedicated graphics card. But in the end went for this, as I do not game. Has so far seemed the right decision.

Good.
Published 20 months ago by WD

2.0 out of 5 stars It's driving me crazy!
Published 1 month ago by nad

4.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Z850 (Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD RW, Windows 8), 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Lenovo Ideapad Z580 15.6-inch Laptop (Gunmetal) - (Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD RW, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)

Good.
Seems pretty quick, it starts up fast, about 20seconds and you are good to go. I have experienced no lag so far while multi-tasking. Norton hasn't seemed to slow it down, when performing it's background tasks, like it did with my last laptop.
The keyboard on this is excellent. One of the best I have used on a laptop.
Seems well made and solid.
Fan is quiet.
It looks really nice, but it is not silver in colour, like in the photos. It is infact a darker silver with a dark purple tinge to it.
It has very good speakers for a laptop, not far off the quality of a decent TV, but with less bass. There is no distortion even on max.
This machine gets a Windows score of 5.1. Graphics letting it down. Everything else is higher, up to 7.5.
Has a nice clear screen, depending where you are, the screen is really quite glossy.

Bad.
The touch pad is a bit too big and hard to use, have bought a wireless mouse.
The screen is very glossy, I am considering purchasing anti glare film for it.
There was quite a lot of bloatware on it, took a while to clean it up.
The battery lasts realistically around 3 hours of use, using the web and watching videos on the highest performance setting. Not really that bad.
Viewing angles are pretty poor.

Overall a good buy, especially with the 75 cash back from Lenovo. I Genuinely think this is the best laptop for total price of 425 I could find at the time.

Would be 5 stars if the screen was not so glossy.

4.0 out of 5 stars My kind of laptop., 14 April 2013
Many of the reviews I have read about this laptop seem to take too much written space moaning about windows 8. rather than commenting on the Z580 Lenovo. And I wonder if the star ratings given to this laptop are biased by that fact.

I was pleased with the clarity of screen which can be easily adjusted to meet your own needs. The reflectivity of the screen can be an issue but the simple readjustment of the screen easily resolves this problem. I place a lot of importance on the sound quality and I was not disappointed. I am a fan of the musical sound from a Walkman and this laptop is up there, even using a cheap pair of earphones. I like the gun metal colour which can Look a light purple at times.

This laptop is fast and is a massive improvement on my last one.. I have had it several days use of it and have found no major issues. And its ability to handle multimedia is impressive, ( I thoroughly enjoyed watching "The Hobbit" ). Surfing is a breeze and I think the build quality is good, although the location of the caps lock advisory light could be better placed.

If you are thinking of buying it, I would suggest it is a good buy and value for money.

On Windows 8 that is another topic for another day but with a bit of patience, courage and adventure it is easy to use. But I do wish I could get rid of the appearance of the" Charms " side bar when I do not want it.

solmagwind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Ideapad Z580 15.6 inch laptop, 6 April 2013
We brought this when our old HP decided enough was enough. This is very easy to use, lovely keypad, though the touch pad is a bit sensitive (you do get used to it) It was so easy to set up and get started. An IT friend recommended this as being good value for money with good size hard drive. So impressed with the brand that we brought another Lenovo for the boys to use for increasing volumes of homework. Good picture resolution to and the speakers are way better than we had before. Great buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's driving me crazy!, 6 Jun 2014
Well constructed, smart looking and powerful for the price, but...... I am normally a placid sort of person but Windows 8 is turning me into a dangerous psycho prone to throwing objects and shouting profanities. Upgraded to Windows 8.1 but still finding it the most annoying operating system ever. Desktop is full of junk from Lenovo and other vendors of rubbish that all take time to get rid of. Then there's the issue of wi-fi connection that other reviewers have written about. I though it wouldn't happen to me but after working fine for a few weeks I have now lost wi-fi and haven't found a solution yet. Screen froze this morning for no reason - had to pull out the battery to shut it down and reboot. Not a good start really but I'm persevering...

1.0 out of 5 stars lenovo, 10 April 2014
Unfortunately it was ffaulty and had to sen it back. Amazon gave me a full refund. I had my old computer repaired and bought a tablet instead

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 25 Jun 2013
Ill make this short,

Its a solid laptop. Not quite the lightning i5 I was expecting but it does the job.

The intelligent touchpad is tough to get used to and can be annoying as is Windows 8 but maybe thats just me.

Battery life is ok. I get about 3 1/2 hours of constant surfing internet before it runs out.

Sound system is brilliant. The quality can be changed to suit which is excellent.

Overall, its a good laptop. For me though, the main attribute of a laptop is its durability and toughness. Fortunately I havent had any issues with dropping it or bashing it etc and hopefully it'll last me a good few years. If it does then I'll be very happy with it.

Solid 4/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Ideapad, 5 Jun 2013
Bought as a present for my son, he originally wanted an Apple Mac but this was much cheaper with more memory. He loves it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 5 Jun 2013
Bought levonopad Z580 core i5 for my 17 year old son. I was not sure if it was the right product as some reviews were critical of windows 8. He disabled the antivirus/spam that came with it as a previous reviewer had mentioned. So far no problem. Fast processor, big memory and storage at a very competitive price and finds it easy to use. I will definitely recommend it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 5 May 2013
great computer for my college projects and gaming. Fast reliable. Highly recommended for those looking great specifications. Buyers should also consider the one with NVIDIA graphics

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for mid range laptop, 28 April 2013
Having to get a new laptop, time and the complex nature of virus checkers have caught up with my old laptop (so slow it was sleep inducing),Comparing specs and prices,this Lenovo was good value,After clearing my brain of any knowledge of previous windows I set about trying to understand Windows 8,Buy a book to help you.