5.0 out of 5 stars Well done to all involved!
Published 20 months ago by Kew

2.0 out of 5 stars An honest review...
I wasn't intending to write a review of this, but the myriad of glowing five-star reviews from friends of the authors (as you too would know if, like me, you had checked the book out on Goodreads) means I feel obliged to give an honest assessment.

Published 5 months ago by FictionFan

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done to all involved!, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
I finished reading this book this morning. I was impressed by the quality of the writing and there are so many stories in this book that it will keep you busy for sometime reading it all! There is something for everyone here - humour, romance, horror, mystery. As I read it I laughed, I cried and was constantly surprised by twists to the endings. An excellent collection of quality writing. Well done to all who contributed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simply Splendid Salmagundi., 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this anthology early today and have barely put it down , such was the quality of the writing.
I found myself amazed at the diversity of the content. Where else could one read of pigeons alongside buffalo, Santa following on from demons and sexy reminiscences, reviews of wrinkle plasters and the shortcomings of hygiene facilities in public toilets in the same contents table as haunted car rides , eerie mountains and inspired poetry.
There are trolls and fantasy friends.Feuds and spaceships share space with resurrected detectives, barn sized computers and pyramids, not to mention, traumatised fathers, dying girlfriends, a poignant funeral and country villages named Slaughter!
I will dream tonight of darkened corridors and creatures at my door seeking permission to enter while my life support machine is switched off and God speaks to tell me the end is nigh.
I am however comforted to know those pesky vampires won't be having a suck tonight and I will still be enjoying eggs fresh from the nest tomorrow while proudly wearing my oak tree lapel pin in the hope that a handsome spy comes knocking and if I am truly blessed he will bring David and his chocolate fountain with him.
No! I am not rambling ( well maybe I am a bit) all this and more is included in this glorious book. There is indeed something for everyone regardless of your preferred genre. Like me you may even be surprised and find yourself drawn to themes you may not have previously considered and in so doing discover some new authors to help you through the dark winter nights ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid indeed!, 19 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
A Splendid Salmagundi kept me awake late last night as I was so keen to greedily finish all the tasty delights it has to offer. There is so much variety and good reading here it would be almost impossible to pick out one I enjoyed the most. I would recommend that anyone who has already read any of the contributing authors should read it, as you may find something different from their usual. If you are unfamiliar with these writers you should also read it - you may find a new favourite!
The quality of writing throughout is excellent, and there is some really touching and thought-provoking work here. I intend to reread the anthology over the next few days, more slowly this time to savour all the different flavours!

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
This is a great collection of stories and poems. I read the whole book in one sitting, such is the quality of the writing and the fantastic variations in the stories which kept my interest throughout. I think this is great value for money and will help introduce its contributing authors to a whole range of new fans. Look forward to more releases!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastic collection of stories and poems, there is so much variety that there is surely something for everyone.

As I finished each story I kept thinking to myself "Oh, that's my favourite so far" don't ask me to narrow it down! This is the kind of book that everyone should own and dip into every now and then, there is a story for every occasion and mood.

5.0 out of 5 stars a tasty selection of delightful short stories, 27 Nov 2012
Marc Pimbert - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
a very readable and enjoyable selection of clever and engaging stories. Very much looking forward to the next one :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Sir, may I have some more?, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
The book was described as a delicious salad, and that is a perfect description. As with all salads there are some items that appeal more than others according to taste. Its also a lovely opportunity to try a different genre and find you liked it. I really enjoyed the book overall and there are authors in there that I will definitely read more of. It was a good mix and I liked the way the poetry and stories were placed giving a reflective breathing space between the chapters. Tasty!

reply | edit | delete | flag *

5.0 out of 5 stars Two little eyes a-peering out, 24 Oct 2012
r j askew (London + St.Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
I don't know exactly why it is so, and it does not really matter, but those two little eyes peering out from the hidey-hole on the bole of the oak tree on the front cover of this fine anthology really tickle me. There is something engaging about them that seems to perfectly capture the character of this tastefully eclectic salad of writerly talent.

This is not one of the numberless kissass covers to be found at every e-turn from rising authors stutting their 'brand'. I wonder which genius decided that authors now have to be brands? For some reason those two little eyes a-peering out really make me want me to peer into their realm. What shy little creature lurks within?

This is good. I am won more by those two little eyes than by a No.1. cacophany of tartly-branded visual hammer blows. Yes, I am a-judging a book by its cover. But then those two little eyes a-peering out really do make my eyes want to peer in. Because... I do not know why, and it does not matter. All I know is this, if you look at those two eyes for long enough, I swear to you that you will see them blink.

I know this is all a double rum, but I instinctively sense there is a link between those two little bewtiching eyes and the nature of the art to be found within the e-covers of A Splendid Salmagundi, an art which will charm-e the eyes of all those curious enough and wise enough to want to taste it.

The joy of reading anthologies is not knowing what will grab you until you stumbles into its outstretched arms and are half hugged to death by it. You dip in, you try a bit of this, a bit of that on a read-one-like-one-read-one-maybe-read-one-love-one-basis. It wld be a very picky reader indeed who does not find a good few read-one-love-ones here-e. You just don't know what's coming. It's a fairground of writerly rides and coconut shies. You can lose yourself in a book like this. You can hop around. It's great. A reading holiday. A change. New weather. A break from the all the know-where-you-are genres.

Yes, this is not kickass branded product, with a nailed-down narrative gunning for a film deal (yawn). That said, it has most definitely been painstakingly and lovingly arranged by an editor with a fine sense of creative balance - an art in itself - and I commend it to you strongly in the hope that you will enjoy it and in turn re-commend it to your friends, suggest it to your book group, e-gift it to your relatives in chilly Moose Jaw this Christmas, tweet it to Stephen Fry, facebook it, spread the word, Salmagundi, Salmagundi.

Just look into those little front cover eyes. If you see them blink - which I swear you will - have a look inside. You are sure to find something to charm your eyes. I know which is my absolute fave story is and my two next faves, but I am not going to tell you as that wld spoilt if for you and we most certainly can't have that. *add to your trolly now!*

2.0 out of 5 stars An honest review..., 24 Jan 2014
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)

I read about half of the book. The stories ranged from average to quite poor and the poetry was much the same. As people have said, this is a sampler, but I'm afraid that it didn't tempt me to find out more about the work of the contributing authors. The best stories of the ones I read were the two by Lexie Conyngham (whose books I already know and enjoy), but even these were too short to make much of an impact.

Sorry to be a party-pooper but I feel potential purchasers have the right to some honest reviews amongst the self-praise and back-slapping.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Salmagundi, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: A Splendid Salmagundi (Kindle Edition)
A Splendid Salmagundi is a collection of short stories and poems by the authors who hang out on the UK Amazon Kindle Forum on Goodreads

On the whole I enjoyed it very much. The stories were short, but satisfying. I think there were only 2 stories I didn't get on with and didn't read through. Also, I'm not into poetry - I just don't get it - so didn't read the poems.

The highlights for me were Rosen Trevithick's "Grumpies" - an alleged true story
Will MacMillan Jones' "Out of the Frying Pan" - not quite what you want in your cooked breakfast.
Darren Humphries' "Interview With The Man From U.N.D.E.A.D." where we find out what happened at The Slaughters
Cornelius Harker's "Scream for me, my Dearest" - quite scary
And of course, David Wailing's "Backup", the latest in his auto series.

For a bargain price of just over a pound, you really can't go wrong with this collection.

A Splendid Salmagundi