This is not the cheapest powered USB 2 hub, but it is a very well made one, with a substantial 3 Amp power supply that delivers the goods even with heavy loads - a couple of USB-powered Hard Drives, for example, and the more-than-the-USB-hub-spec Raspberry Pi. Provided cables and connectors look to be of good quality.
One can use this hub to connect USB things to...
Published 17 months ago by Big Ben

3.0 out of 5 stars Think i got a bad one
Got this a week ago and opened it today. No blue leds work. Hardware like usb fans or gadgets power up but no blue led. Hardware requiring drivers eg wifi, tv tuner, dont seem to power up and are not recognised. Tested on 2 versions of windows and raspberry pi.

Awaiting email from vendor to see if units faulty or im faulty :) will change review accordingly
Published 11 months ago by morby42

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it claims, and more. Even powers the Raspberry Pi very well!, 16 May 2013
Big Ben "fly_mo" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Plugable USB 2.0 7-Port High Speed Hub with 15W Power Adapter UK and EU Mains (Terminus Technology FE2.1 Chipset. Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux support. Full USB 1.1 backwards and USB 3.0 forwards compatibility)
One can use this hub to connect USB things to the Pi as well as providing adequate power, we need 2 ports for keyboard and mouse, often a third port for HDD, and the others feed a slew of other miscellaneous items such as card readers and the like.
We had it driving both the Pi, with its keyboard and mouse plus two USB-powered HDDs as a test, which it passed.
Unlike some other hubs, the power supply has the proper UK mains plug on it.
USB performance seems fine, there are 5 ports on the sides, and 2 more on the top underneath a sliding panel.
Strongly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine now and OK, 15 July 2013
Ok i am gonna have to review my original review with this one as i might just have had a dud machine but the guys sent me a another hub and i tried it out with all my external drives attached to see if it was problematic. But all is good so far and it is early days. But for FYI i am gonna add their blurb as to why you need to attach the power cable on the hub because it may be the problem some other low teckkies like me may have so here is the explaination by them and it may help you guys out there:
"One possibility is that these hubs are not meant to be operated without
connection to the power supply, especially with multiple external disks. This is
because the USB port on the computer that the hub is plugged into is (by the USB
2.0 specification) only allowed to offer a maximum of 500mA of power to whatever
device is attached to it. In this case, that would be the hub. If the hub's
power source is not plugged in, then the hub uses part of that 500mA to power
itself, and offers the rest to divided among whatever devices are connected to
it. The problem happens because external drives pretty much expect the full 500mA
each, because they need it to spin up the motors that rotate the disks. When the
hub sees a demand for power greater than it can provide, it shuts down to avoid
causing problems that might happen in a device (like a head crash in a disk
because the platter was not rotating fast enough)."
so back to giving it the 4 stars only gripe is that it is a little slow but then we are on 2.0 tech here.

5.0 out of 5 stars ROBUST, RELIABLE, FUNCTIONAL AND USEABLE, 6 Feb 2013
This hub is very well made, reliable too; allowing numerous usb powered devices to connect either individually or en-mass.

Its Function as a usb port is excellent its operation and transfer speeds are good, USB 2.0 data transfer speed is averaging 200mbps. It doesn't get hot either as the trust TYPE regularly did!

Unlike Some generic hubs for less than £10 this product is both useable and solid.

Ideal bit of kit that has so far proved itself as a reliable work horse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what I wanted!, 18 Mar 2013
My monitor with a USB hub included gave up on me, and the cheap replacement had no hub. Consequently I needed a reliable hub quickly with a minimum of 6 outlets.
This does the job ideally. It's a pity the wires project in all directions, makes cable routing difficult, and uses more desk space than I expected. But I like the lights to show which ones are active.
Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with Raspberry Pi, 23 Jan 2014
Mr. A. Clark (Romsey, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is certainly not the cheapest USB hub around but it is worth the money.

The main requirement (for me) is that it can power the Raspberry Pi plus peripherals, so I did a test. With nothing connected, the power supply gave 5.4 volts which is good. Many USB hubs will give 6 or 7 volts when on a light load, which can fry a USB stick. I then connected a Raspberry Pi, keyboard, mouse, a USB stick, a USB powered hard drive and an iPod. The voltage was still a healthy 5.1 volts.

The unit is well built and looks durable. I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Raspberry Pi, 16 May 2013
This is the ideal USB hub for the Raspberry Pi. It performs exactly as the manufacturers claim in their video which can be viewed at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the reviews, 3 Dec 2013
I won't repeat all the statements in the other reviews except to say that this is a superb accessory. My laptop has only two usb ports, one for the trackball and the other for whatever was needed at the time. Now one port is occupied by my new toy and the other is free and available. My trackball is plugged into one of the ports on my adaptor leaving only six (paradise) for other gadgets. Currently I have a 3TB and 2TB Hard Drive, a card reader and a usb extension lead convenient for odds and ends. Ive still got three more ports available for data transfer with the family's cameras, phones memory sticks and tablets. If I had a tail it'd be wagging. No bigger than a packet of cigarettes it is beautifully designed piece of kit. It has been plugged in and working for fifteen hours non-stop and is not even warm.
Overall a perfect example of, "You get what you pay for.
I'll look at other Plugable products to see what else they might have to offer.
Did I mention that I liked it?

3.0 out of 5 stars Think i got a bad one, 9 Nov 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 10 Sep 2013
As expected with a usb hub, this item works straight out of the box. The design whereby five of the seven ports are laid out on either side of the hub is effective; the ports are easy to access and their distribution aids stability on the desktop (I haven't yet used the ports on top). The lights indicating which port is in use are clear but unobtrusive.

Well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality USB hub - if that's what you actually need, 14 Aug 2014
C Allen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is probably the best quality USB hub I have ever seen. It is expensive though so the question here isn't "is it any good" but rather "is this what I need"? You can buy a hub from a pound shop so why not?

Like many others I bought this hub for a Raspberry Pi, having read endless talk on Internet forums about how all my RPi woes relating to WiFi performance, Bluetooth, audio output and general crashing are caused by my substandard power supply and hub electronics. I think the Plugable 7 is the Rolls-Royce of USB hubs but it made *no difference at all* to my RPi problems. I did exhaustive testing (I was exhausted alright) of this in comparison with 3 other hubs, including a decent Pi Hut powered hub and two rock-bottom cheap ones from Poundland and eBay. I also swapped in a pile of PSUs from nasty Chinese phone charges to this 3A powerhouse. None of this made any difference, and most of my problems were down to software bugs on the RPI OS (turns out driver code is really hard, and they are now finally nailing it) and re rest due to the poor electrical design of the RPi B (just buy a B+!). Don't waste your time upgrading PSUs or hubs. I now run this Pi on the cheapest PSU and hub and it works just fine. So when a self-proclaimed expert on an Internet forum me I should buy a more expensive hub/PSU and drops some irrelevant jargon I do the right thing, and just ignore him, because those guys are never as smart as they think they are. They also buy "directional speaker cable", keep their CDs in the freezer and probably wear foil hats at night.

After ordering it I received a message declaring that "Note this model is for connecting USB 2.0 devices to your computer - it is not a phone / tablet charger." I found this rather snippy and a little disingenuous *after* I had ordered it. That's a shame, 3A is a lot and if I don't need it for my Pi, and am forbidden from using it for my phone, what is the point exactly? I can think of no scenario when I need a 3A, 7 port hub to actually use as a hub. My desktop PC has about 15 USB ports on it. My laptop has only 3 but I don't carry more than 3 accessories with a laptop. I have stuck it to my desk as a handy port extender, and the PSU is in a drawer somewhere.

I conclude that this product is lovely, and a joy to use and to hold, but its lack of application means I can see no reason to buy it. It is much too nice to send back of course. ;)