on 8 December 2012
My 8 yr old son loves this series of books and has read them all now. Hurry up and write another Jeff !
Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the rest of the volumes in the series are a huge hit at the primary school where I am a librarian. They often come up for discussion in our weekly book club and the majority of the children who attend, both boys and girls, read them avidly. I am, on the one hand, delighted about this, as anything that gets children reading for pleasure, and voraciously at that, is a boon. On the other hand I am quite saddened by this, as I personally find them unpleasant and rather pointless. Gregg is a charmless hero who spends his life being humiliated and humiliating others in turn. The humour is mainly derived from children belittling each other and behaving like beasts, and the characters are uniformly unappealing. On the other hand, children lap them up, and who am I to say what is good about children's literature. I am, after all, a forty year old woman, jaded beyond her years.

In this book, the most current at the time of writing, Gregg mostly looks back upon his childhood and the differences between the way he and his older and younger siblings have been brought up. In between he fails to get a date for the Valentine dance and continuously fails to be cool, his greatest ambition in life.
on 4 December 2012
I think it's great that these humorous books keep children reading in a modern era when there are so many less worthwhile distractions.
Children are our future-and we educate them out of taxation. This is why it saddens me, as a long-standing Amazon customer, to say 'Pay your fair share of txes Amazon.' You know--for the kids.
33 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2012
Adorable book, very funny, unlike Amazon not paying their taxes properly in the UK.
If you loved the other 6, like I did, you'll be seething because if Amazon paid their fair share the government could afford to put more into education and the arts, meaning more creative authors to enjoy the work of.
on 4 December 2012
I've loved all the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books - it's a great series. I would love to buy it here, but until Amazon pays its fair share of UK taxes I'll be heading to my local bookshop instead. It's a shame that Amazon, which is such a great resource for us all, should operate unfairly. If you agree, leave some reviews like this one.
on 27 January 2013
I really liked the book and strongly recommend it for those who enjoy reading diaries or previous diary of a wimpy kid books. Greg, wimpy as ever, is desperate for a dance partner, in the valentine dance . Will he capture a girls heart,and if so will he do it alone.Meanwhile Greg's broke uncle Gary starts living in the Heffley household, causing even more chaos. Find out whats in store for the Heffleys in this brilliant new instalment; Diary of a wimpy kid: The third wheel, by Jeff Kinney.
on 4 December 2012
"I really enjoyed this book but I hate the way Amazon reduces its UK taxes. There is wonderful writing here but we all need to shout loud until Amazon pays its fair share. I really enjoyed this author's earlier books and if you did, why don't you log in and leave 10 more reviews like this today. Tell Amazon to sign that cheque or forever lose my respect and the respect, no doubt, of this very fine author."
on 12 November 2015
I won't lie about the fact that I was very excited to read this book. It's mostly because

- the first 5 books' box set lived right on my desk close to bed till I finished them all
- I ordered and read the 6th book as soon as I finished the set

So how is this latest installment?

As with almost all the series (consider Potter as an exception)this is not as good and fun as the initial ones. Gregory is still faltering at different levels and his filial love is still on tenterhooks. But again the experiences are new.

The comfort and warmth that one expects from a known avenue, a tested formula and a familiar writing style is still there.

Gregory has started to look at girls with an adolescent's perspective and the incidents may make you reminiscent. The goof-ups are still funny and at times one is forced to think of the older days when mistakes were pardonable and there was nothing like a blunder.

If this book has craved me to read more about the wimpy kid and to wait for the next installment, that's thumps up from my side. That will remain till the book doesn't loose the innocence that has carried it all this way.
on 4 December 2012
I really enjoyed this book but I hate the way Amazon reduces its UK taxes. We need to shout loud until Amazon pays its fair share. Tell Amazon to sign that cheque or forever lose my respect and my custom. There are other places to buy books!