Diary of a Wimpy Kid and the rest of the volumes in the series are a huge hit at the primary school where I am a librarian. They often come up for discussion in our weekly book club and the majority of the children who attend, both boys and girls, read them avidly. I am, on the one hand, delighted about this, as anything that gets children reading for pleasure, and voraciously at that, is a boon. On the other hand I am quite saddened by this, as I personally find them unpleasant and rather pointless. Gregg is a charmless hero who spends his life being humiliated and humiliating others in turn. The humour is mainly derived from children belittling each other and behaving like beasts, and the characters are uniformly unappealing. On the other hand, children lap them up, and who am I to say what is good about children's literature. I am, after all, a forty year old woman, jaded beyond her years.

In this book, the most current at the time of writing, Gregg mostly looks back upon his childhood and the differences between the way he and his older and younger siblings have been brought up. In between he fails to get a date for the Valentine dance and continuously fails to be cool, his greatest ambition in life.
on 4 December 2012
I think it's great that these humorous books keep children reading in a modern era when there are so many less worthwhile distractions.
Children are our future-and we educate them out of taxation. This is why it saddens me, as a long-standing Amazon customer, to say 'Pay your fair share of txes Amazon.' You know--for the kids.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2012
Adorable book, very funny, unlike Amazon not paying their taxes properly in the UK.
If you loved the other 6, like I did, you'll be seething because if Amazon paid their fair share the government could afford to put more into education and the arts, meaning more creative authors to enjoy the work of.
on 4 December 2012
"I really enjoyed this book but I hate the way Amazon reduces its UK taxes. There is wonderful writing here but we all need to shout loud until Amazon pays its fair share. I really enjoyed this author's earlier books and if you did, why don't you log in and leave 10 more reviews like this today. Tell Amazon to sign that cheque or forever lose my respect and the respect, no doubt, of this very fine author."
on 4 December 2012
I've loved all the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books - it's a great series. I would love to buy it here, but until Amazon pays its fair share of UK taxes I'll be heading to my local bookshop instead. It's a shame that Amazon, which is such a great resource for us all, should operate unfairly. If you agree, leave some reviews like this one.
on 4 December 2012
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is one of the best children's series out there right now. My children have enjoyed every single one, and this latest was another triumph.

However I do wish that Amazon would pay their UK tax properly. As a previously loyal customer I now feel uncomfortable buying from them and will be taking my Christmas shopping elsewhere.
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 December 2012
I really enjoyed this book but I hate the way Amazon reduces its UK taxes. We need to shout loud until Amazon pays its fair share. Tell Amazon to sign that cheque or forever lose my respect and my custom. There are other places to buy books!
on 4 December 2012
I really liked this book but I hate the way Amazon refuses to pay its UK taxes. There is wonderful writing here but we all need to protest until Amazon pays its fair share. I really enjoyed this author's earlier books and if you did, why don't you log in and leave 10 more similar reviews today. Tell Amazon to sign that cheque or forever lose my respect and the respect, no doubt, of this very fine author
on 8 December 2012
My 8 yr old son loves this series of books and has read them all now. Hurry up and write another Jeff !