5.0 out of 5 stars Customising the Acer Aspire S3
I purchased this laptop in late April sadly at a higher price than it is currently being sold at. I read the comments and criticisms of the item with interest. However all can be addressed with some simple configurations;

Published 11 months ago by Mr. D.T. Aitkenhead

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, but great for what I paid
Let me start with the cons:

CONS
- Fan often goes on, so it's noisy. This can happen while doing mundane stuff, like web surfing
- Colors are washed out. The only good thing about the LCD is that it extends all the way back, nearly 180 degrees
Published 11 months ago by M. J. De

5.0 out of 5 stars Customising the Acer Aspire S3, 18 May 2013
This review is from: Acer Aspire S3-391 13.3-inch Ultrabook - Aluminium (Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit) (Personal Computers)

1. Colours washed out - You can increase the Saturation in the Intel HD Graphic Properties (You can find it in the Control Panel called "Intel(R) Graphics and Media") click it and navigate to "Display" >"Colour Enhancement" > "Saturation", for my setting I slide it to 20, but it is up to the individual user whether you like more colour in it or not.

2. Problems with Windows 8 on a non touchscreen device - Download a little piece of software called 'Startisback' (www.startisback.com)and you can set up the Acer as not only a Windows 7 User Interface but allows you to flip between a Windows 7 and Windows 8 UI so you can have both.

3. Sensitive mouse pad - it does take a bit of getting used to but connecting a wireless mouse effectively bypasses the problem

This is a good piece of kit from Acer and with these minor modifications, it is truly excellent!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, not great, but great for what I paid, 15 May 2013
M. J. De - See all my reviews
Let me start with the cons:

CONS
- Shallow key travel makes for a subpar typing experience. It really is quite shallow to other notebook keyboards I've used. Almost comparable to the Surface keyboard cover.
- Poor keyboard layout, e.g. function keys aren't activated by a fn + x combo, but more useful keys are; the lift shift key is cut in half; 1/3 of the Enter key is cut off; the tilde is placed oddly, etc.
- The trackpad is super-clicky, but otherwise ok
- Battery life is nowhere near 6hrs. I'm getting about 3 while not doing anything too heavy and screen brightness at around 75% (bluetooth off, wifi on). One might be able to get 4hrs, but I guess you'd have to be doing something as basic as word processing.

PROS
- I paid a mere 430 quid for the Core i5, latest Ivy Bridge version with 500GB HDD and 20GB SSD. That's crazy cheap for this thin and light notebook
- This thing is very thin and very light.
- 2 USB 3.0 ports, though some may not like their rear placement
- Full HDMI out port
- Decent design and construction, especially for the price
- Fully compatible out of the box with linux (Kubuntu in my case), save for one config edit for brightness control

I'd recommend this thing to anyone looking for a thin and light notebook on a budget provided you can score it for very cheap. If you need a lot of battery juice though, I'd look somewhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic laptop - Given the price, incredibly worthy of 5* review, 20 Aug 2013
In summary, this is a very capable laptop at a very reasonable price. I can not overstate how happy I am with this device having only paid a mere 600.

I bought the "core i7, 128GB SSD" variant. Here are my thoughts (some described based on other people's reviews):

Positives:
* Processor - You get an "i7" in a laptop! Yes it is a mobile variant, but still, an i7 in a laptop of about 600!
* SSD (Newer hard drives) - Although very small, at only 128GB, it's great to have one in a 600 laptop. Very (very) fast, quiet, and improves battery life. Boot times are in the 5-10 second region (from stone cold off "Turned Off", not hibernate - hibernate is actually it's default and makes it even quicker). It is obviously 1-2 seconds from sleep. I have a desktop at home which holds all of my files, but cloud services (e.g. Google Music) mean that I don't need files stored on my laptop. The myriad of cloud services available allows for smaller SSDs to become feasible.
* Battery life is fantastic - I use the laptop all day everyday for work, and I get to the afternoon before I think about giving a charge to see me through the rest of the day. I may charge it twice if I am doing any fairly intensive tasks (frequently compiling code, I/O intensive application development, all whilst listening to music or playing Youtube videos in the background - not really intensive tasks, but still drain the battery quicker). It's nice to know that the laptop's battery will last a long time.
* HDMI port - Works well. When at my desk at work, I plug in an external monitor (primarily for better posture etc.), but this also has the benefit of reducing battery usage too.
* Weight/size - Just wow. Reasonably powerful without compromising on size and weight. It is practically identical to a 13" MacBook Air (if you're familiar with them).
* Keyboard - I have come to love keyboards with little key travel (for simplicity, lets say similar to an Apple keyboard). It works a treat. If your reminiscent of older keyboard with lots of key travel (or maybe you're old - sorry!) then it may feel different, but it does simply work.
* Laptop speakers - Generally speaking, all laptop speakers are rubbish (unless spending stupid-ridiculous prices). These are respectable, Dolby software is good, but nothing beats plugging in some high-end headphones (or speakers) into the headphone port.

Criticisms:
* Glossy screen - Not a big deal at all, certainly not for me, but I would be remiss if I didn't say anything. Don't plan on using this laptop outside on bright days, unless you are sat in some shade. The screen is very glossy (Just 2 minutes ago I tried using it to look for something in my eye, with some degree of success, as there are no mirrors in the office). However, in the office it is absolutely fine. In a lot of light it is fine. It is simply very bright direct light on to the screen which will be problematic.
* RAM - My main criticism is that it only has 4GB of RAM, which is frankly pathetic in this age of computing (RAM costs peanuts!) - a minimum of 6GB would have sufficed (to really nail how awesome this laptop is). However, for the price you pay, and everything else you get for your money, it is still worthy of a 5* review. At the end of the day, 4GB is adequate for most everyday uses, I simply require more because of my work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is that ENTER keyboard a joke???, 31 Jan 2014
Not sure why they need to reinvent a new keyboard layout every year.
The PGUP/HOME, PGDN/END are at a good and convenient place, like on many old good Acer machines, but that ENTER button is really scaring me.
Also, no extra space between F4 and F5, F8 and F9. How can I find the function keys without having to look at the keyboard every time? Like it or not, the keyboard is one of the most important things in a laptop. I would have just bought this product, which looks quite nice anyway, if it was not for the keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab laptop!!, 28 Sep 2013
Ms. L. Malin "lacey" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was in 2 minds whether to get an 11 inch laptop or a 13inch but I decided to with a 13 inch laptop. I primarily just wanted to get a smaller laptop as previously I had quite a heavy vaio 15.6 inch laptop and a dell 17 inch laptop so I wanted something I could easily lift up without straining and just to travel as I visit family a lot.

This little beauty is really sleek and modern looking. It has a metal case and the colour is to die for champagne/ gold colour. Im not really technologically savvy but from what my boyfriend says its very high tech and for what I use my laptop for its fast and reliable. The only design floor I have found is that the battery is internal you cant take it out without unscrewing the back. But apart from that oh and windows 8 is alittle different to get used its a fabulous laptop!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars not yet working, 31 Aug 2013
Seems a very nice laptop, but so far I have not been able to use it. The wifi would not switch on. Amazon could not replace it, although they offered me a refund. I decided to go to Acer for a repair, as I needed a working laptop for work, and I'd hoped for a quick repair. So far I'm nearly a month from the order and no working laptop so far.

Note that Acer say that if they have to reinstall windows there is a 50 EUR charge - on a new computer, under guarantee. We'll see about that. Maybe this only applies here in Italy.

Amazon have been fine, but the whole experience has left me rather underwhelmed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Well I liked it for a week..., 16 Oct 2013
J. H. Ward "Mizz MeggieMoo" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
Well, isn't this a nice little machine I thought. I'll name him Arthur as he is the strong silent type. Wireless mouse meant no issues with the track pad gettin him excited, downloaded "start is back" so that helped with the Window's 8 issues, and we had fun together, me and this little man.
Then one morning we didn't do well. I don't know if one or other of us hadn't had enough coffee, or maybe too much?
So we started to fall out...

The bloomin wireless. Two kindles, a tablet, two other laptops and none of the dropping out. But Arthur Acer, he was and spitting his dummy. OK, OK so not a huge issue as you just disconnect and reconnect and it appears again but sure made working on my web mail interesting. He was making me work for his attention, I've never been good with needy men.
Then came another slight issue where he obviously felt I'd been a bit bondage and not lovers caress with him. Sticky keys... I promise I did nothing but yet he decided that the return key was going to stick on. Not only did this make it impossible to write anything that made sense it also made it pretty difficult to boot up. Then when the escape key decided to do the same thing things really got interesting.
I talked to him nicely, got him to understand my point of view, he booted one last time to retrieve some info and was flattened. Like an ex lover squished under the heel of my stiletto.
So he is returning to his ex wife - Amazon that she is. Perhaps she will have more luck with him!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, useless, wifi drops out all the time, 28 Aug 2013
Luckily I bought from good old Amazon with its no-questions returns policy.

:-)

The wifi drops out all the time. I am sitting there with 3 Kindles, a netbook and a smartphone all getting a good signal, but the Acer first refuses to log on to the wifi. Keeps telling me to check my password. As you can view the password I can see that it is correct.

When it finally logs on, it is constantly dropping off. Every few minutes.

This, of course, makes it totally unusable.

I have since discovered that this is a known issue on the forums, and am surprised that the Which magazine review did not tell us about it.

I am very disappointed as it is exactly the size and weight that I wanted, but if you cannot get and keep a wifi connection, it is no good.

:-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Ultrabook, 23 Jun 2013
Bought this after much deliberation. Very pleased with the ultrabook, very quickly delivered as I`ve come to expect from Amazon,
`srtill getting my head @ windows 8 but I`m sure It`ll be fine!!! all in all , very pleased & one word of note, having read previous reviews that the fan is noisy, absolute rubbish, haven`t even noticed it !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, maybe better with Windows7 than 8., 8 Feb 2013
Computer is light and fast. No disk drive incorporated, but works fine with an external drive. Windows 8 is a pain- really designed for touch screens, so does not work so well on a conventional laptop. It kept changing Windows whenever I touched the left side of the touchpad till I discovered how to disable this. On the plus side, the speed of start-up and connection to the Internet is impressive.

ARRAY(0xac2be4e0)