on 17 November 2012
I'm not going to run through all the specs and load-out because all that is on the amazon page but I will give my general impression after owning the unit for four days. It's very shiny so folks who don't want reflective surfaces should probably look away now. My priority this time was budget after getting well used to using netbooks but needing a unit with all the pros of a full sized laptop eg screen size; full keyboard; optical drive etc. I wasn't buying with gaming in mind so it's got more than enough power for me. Getting started was very painless. It found both my networks with ease (even giving me a couple of extra bars on my weaker network) and enabling them was little more than typing in the security passwords. Acer Backup Manager made me a recovery backup without any fuss (I used a 16 GB USB flashdrive to store the whole shebang but you can use discs if you so desire) and by the time I'd got back from a quick game of Happy Wars on xbox the job was done. Touchpad seems massive at first but soon got used to it though I kept accidentally tripping the flip gesture but you can easily turn off individual gestures - which I did.There's a little bit of spam knocking about so I'll be deleting them at my leisure - bye bye Netflix, Lovefilm etc. It's also preloaded with a McAffey trial (2 months free) so I'll use that until it expires then just replace it with something I like better. I'm not a big fan of the Windows 8 smartscreen. I'm old fashioned so I prefer the familiarity of the desk top rather than something that emulates the feel of a smart phone. I guess I'll get used to it. At least the desktop is still there for old stick in the muds like me. I'm very happy with what I got for the money which accounts for the number of stars I gave it.
1212 comments|134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 December 2012

I ordered this machine as an Xmas present for a family member. Fortunately I took delivery myself to enable me to set the machine up before allowing my grand daughter to have access to it.

The machine looked excellent value for money and was well configured with both hardware and software, there was also free delivert to Portugal included in the price.

I am an IT consultant and expected the machine to be fairly simple to configure for the general public, but this was not the case. There was no CD or DVD support, or configuration, material with the machine and the configuration was to be done from a boot partition on the internal hard drive.

Unfortunately the start-up and installation of windows 8 on the machine I received,Acer Aspire E1 15.6-inch Laptop - Black/Silver (Intel Core i3 3110M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit) failed without actually installing the operating system. Attempts to restart the installation repeatedly failed in the same way with no option, that worked, to allow correction of the failed set-up. E-mail contact with ACRE was to say the least abysmal and it took two days to get an initial response which appeared to be a "standard reply" message and gave no real assistance. A further email to them gave no further assistance and suggested I return the machine for repair and pay for this plus a further £15 fee to obtain suitable packaging.

As this was intended as a Xmas gift there was no hope of getting the machine returned, repaired, and back in time for Xmas so I was forced to purchase another laptop ( NOT THE SAME MANUFACTURER ) and return the faulty machine, in the packaging I received it in, to Amazon for a refund. Looks like I may need to wait up to 30 days for my refund.
This may simply have been a rogue machine however bearing in mind the fact that I am IT literate and the quality of support I have received from ACER, I will not be purchasing an other ACER machine.

Amazon's free return system, even from Portugal, appears to have worked well but I will wait to see how long it takes to get my money back,
on 4 December 2012
I was looking for a laptop for a while. I was looking for something rather specific, large screen, good design, high RAM, fast processor and Windows 8. I was actually quite lucky to purchase this on Black Friday deals. The price was also another factor. No doubt that Amazon once again beats everyone on price so I thought why not buy. I have never had an Acer laptop before so did not know what to expect. I was very surprised and impressed!

1. Delivery- I opted for 3-5 days delivery and considering its the run up to xmas I received my laptop within two days! Very impressed! It also allowed me to track my laptop each step of the way building the anticipation!!

2.Packaging- packaged very well. No signs of any damage to the box, infact the laptop itself was very secure and had good protection foam sleeve to prevent any kind of scratches etc. Another Plus point.

3. The laptop has a shiny surface with the logo imprinted on the center. It gave it a very glossy and smooth feeling.

4. Opening the laptop was very easy and smooth. The Laptop width was very thin in size. The Screen itself was perfect as would be great for viewing documents, editing pictures, watching movies, etc.

5. The power button was easy to find. The letters are joined together which is bonus for me as I find it makes it much easier to type.

6. Hand rest on the laptop mimics the shell of the laptop and in contrast the mouse pad is a matt finish also very smooth. It also has a scroll key, allowing you to easily navigate up and down the page.

7. The numeric pad is separate to the letters which makes it easier if your entering numbers (I much prefer this option as appose to the laptops where numbers and letters are used to together)

8.Finally the battery- so far it's given me an excellent life. I charged it fully on the first go and I am still running of the first charge.

Once you attach the battery to the laptop you can feel its weight. I am not too worried about it as I wanted a laptop to be a "home" laptop - not to use while traveling. Also the slight heaviness gives it a better stronger feel.

The laptop came with a quick Windows8 Leaflet - which without it I would not know what to do! The laptop booted up quickly and walked me through the set up process. I must say being a windows user for most my life I found it very hard to adapt to the new windows 8.

The windows8 user interface can be easily used for those items which are touch screen- like Mobiles, Tablets, Desktops, and laptops. However this laptop is not touch screen. I was able to utube some video's on how to work with windows 8 - which helped me a lot!

The new windows 8 gives you two desktop options. Yes I did say two!! The first being a scroll windows, which navigates from left to right. You decided what Apps you want. Where you want them on your screen, whether you like it big or small, want live news feed or not etc. Windows 8 comes preset with apps you can use and download new ones from their App Store. I was quick to personalise my laptop the way I wanted. Not only will you have two desktops however you can have two logins!! You can log in through your live or Hotmail account. You will find your Apps are more personalised to your inbox. you can see your email contacts, your emails, your weather, news which is catered to you etc. I wasn't too fond with this as my emails already gets streamed to my iPhone and wasn't prepared to see my emails again every time I log on to my computer. I wanted my laptop to still have some of the old school qualities so I opted for the local log in. However I can understand the reason for it so you can log into any windows 8 and feel like it's your computer with your apps personlise to yourself. Once you've personalised your new windows8 desktop you ready to go.

If you are not feeling the new windows8 desktop version you can flip back to classic view (desktop) which will bring you back to a screen you are more familiar with- here's the down side- no start button, no apps. You will find there is a huge difference having no start button as it does throw you off track but I can assure you once you've mastered the windows8 you will not want to go back to the classic view.

So far I was able to download software on it- hassle free!

Use and edit heavy RAW pics with no hassle again - infact it was very fast.

The webcam did work for me- again no hassle either!

Screen is an excellent size- watched a movie on it and played the inbuilt games it comes with. The laptop did not hang up at all was very fast very quick and was able to cope perfectly with several packages running at once.

Slight disadvantages- your finger prints will always be on the shell of the laptop- make sure if you have a cloth nearby to wipe them off ( I dislike seeking fingertip traces.) Windows8- is a world on its own, but once you learn how to use the new system you will love it! There is so much you can do with it. No Bluetooth- but apart from that there's not much I can say bad about it if even I wanted to. Also forgot to mention the "x" button is no longer used in apps to close. You have to get familiar with shortcuts such as Alt + F4 to close your apps.

Overall- great laptop, great feel, does not look cheap or plastic, performs very well for webcam, sound, mic, running apps, editing pics, installing apps, great LED Screen, great replacement for desktops, enough storage, connects well to the internet, good OS once you overcome the windows 8 barrier, great connectivity to USB HDMI output etc. I was very pleased, its exactly what I wanted if not more, hence why it gets top marks you will not be disappointed!!
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2012
I was hesitating to buy an acer laptop but after the black Friday price i ordered it.

It came home really quick in 1 day via ups.

Windows 8 are booted very quick and the system is very stable.

Nice screen with no dead pixels and the weight makes it portable.

Intel hd 4000 with i3 and 4gb ram is ok for a casual gamer.

The very good thing is that it stays cold even after using for some hours.

The minus things are that there are no bluetooth and the usb are 2.0 and not 3.0.

Apart from this it is a perfect value for money laptop.

Highly Recommended.
on 26 December 2012
Easy to use, good graphics and fast enough for my needs. Still getting used to Windows 8 but that will come with more usage.
on 25 December 2012
perfect after the slow laptop i had before a pleasure to use with my internet speed update. just got my head around windows8
on 21 January 2013
I was looking for an inexpensive but well spec'd laptop suitable for every day general use, Having owned an Acer before, this one seemed perfect with W8 being a bonus. The E1 comes installed with the recent gen i3 processor, together with 500gb memory and 4gb RAM. I've been using this since Dec and (though not a gaming laptop) have had no problems playing various games including the Euro Truck Simulator series, and running editing programs, even Photoshop. The keyboard is responsive and quiet with a well designed track pad and the screen being bright and sharp picture quality. This laptop looks good and build quality generally is fine and solid, though the plastic next to track pad creaks. Sound quality is ok. I rarely need to use any of the functions of the W8 start screen as (after some research) managed to get back the start menu! which i missed after using W7/Vista. Overall a bargain for £330 and would recommend for beginners, and general use.
on 3 January 2013
I bought this laptop for my son for christmas, it is fantastic, looks really smart, has everything you could need on a laptop. My son was extremely thrilled with this present.
on 27 March 2013
Last Xmas I decided to get my mum a special present and had noticed her old laptop was a prehistoric 6-year-old brick that took 10 minutes to boot up. Being a regular computer user myself, I couldn't understand how she put up with it so I decided to get her a new laptop. Price was a factor and I knew my mum only really used her comp for word processing, emailing and surfing the web so I opted for this reasonably priced Acer.

Must admit mum was a bit confused by Windows 8 to begin with as she was used to XP but she is now quite happy using it because of the icon-based interface. It runs smoothly and boots quickly. I haven't tried gaming on it but presume the i-3 could handle some decent older games. Nice build quality too as far as I can see.

Conclusion: Pleased with this comp. Money well spent. Mum happy. If you're a gamer, I'd go with something with higher specs (but a higher price tag).
on 26 December 2012
a good laptop once you get used to it
it is a lot easier to get into the emails etc
the only problem i have is trying to get out of my email
but as i am a oap it takes time to sink in
would recommend it to any body