Format: Audio CD|Change

This Definitive Collection features a wide selection of Sarah Vaughan's most iconic recordings including songs such as 'S'Wonderful', 'Have You Met Miss Jones?', 'Broken-Hearted Melody', 'Summertime', 'Body And Soul' and not forgetting `Passing Strangers' with Billy Eckstine and many more. All 75 tracks have been digitally remastered for optimum listening. The periods covered by these discs are CD1 1954 to 1961; CD2 1947 to 1961 & CD3 1946 to 1961. The running time is an amazing 220 minutes. The sound transfers are excellent throughout and this is a collection that lives up to its title. Interesting liner notes from Joseph Adair. As a run through the popular songbook of the 20th century this 3 CD set demonstrates just how many fine compositions have still got that all important `class' and the combination of Sarah Vaughan and the songbook is a real winner hands down.
on 2 August 2015
The Definitive Collection – Sarah Vaughan
*****
I first came across Sarah Vaughan when I got into ‘The Great American Songbook.’ I loved her version of ‘Stormy Weather,’ every bit the equal of Billy Holiday’s version, which for me is the best of the lot.
She is always being compared with two other female, iconic, black American singers – Holiday and Fitzgerald – they were all born within 11 years of each other! I have listened to Billy Holiday’s ‘best of’ and those of Ella Fitzgerald too.
On listening to this collection of songs it was clear that she deserves a status as an equal to the above pairing. I took to her voice and style immediately.
There are many great songs on here and she clearly loved Gershwin best of all as his songs figure heavily on these 3 discs, which cover a bumper 75 tracks and 3 hours of easy listening!
I could list my favourites but there’s so many outstanding standards on here that it would be a bit futile to be honest.

As mentioned previously, and I endorse this, the packaging is very nice, with just enough info to keep one satisfied. More importantly the voice and orchestrations are of a very high calibre and so the music sounds superb.
I’m keeping one disc in the car, one in my computer and the other in the music centre in the lounge - and I think that just about says it all!
on 5 September 2013
Can't say whether this is truly "definitive", I only know there are 75 songs sensibly packaged at a very attractive price and I love 'em all! Tone is great all the way through the three discs and I particularly like the fact that each song has a recording date - not "published", not "copyright" but actually sung and recorded; to my mind having a recording date helps to place the artist on the overall musical time line (1946-61) and we can see how they slot into contemporary history. I would have liked details of the various bands too but I can live without it for this price!
on 30 May 2013
Love this collection. Some collections include tracks just to make up the album, but I like every track. Sarah Vaughan is my favourite singer from the era, and I listen whilst driving home from work (35 miles), in the early hours. Its a good wind down.
on 11 March 2013
This is the best of her compilation cds of which I'm aware. Most of the tracks relate to the '50s and'60s and hence are of a better quality thamn her earlier works

Geof M
on 8 May 2014
If this is your kind of music this is a terrific collection, well recorded lovely quality. Sarah Vaughan at her best.
on 9 July 2016
I've still got the seven inch Broken Hearted Melody/Misty disc my older sister and I used a record voucher to buy this double sided hit one christmas when it was in the charts and we've both been fans of Sarah ever since. This is a great collection which sounds just as good today.
on 9 June 2013
What an amazing voice. I've played this CD over and over. Many songs remind me of my childhood when
my older siblings played some of this music. This lady will never date. Awesome.
on 2 August 2014
What style and emotion, Sarah Vaughan, brings to every song. My collection is pretty serious but not comprehensive and this added much to my delight in great singers
on 4 August 2014
Really good recordings and a fantastic listing of some fantastic tracks. I would recommend this as one of the best Sarah Vaughan collections