5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this book.....
Published 23 months ago by Best Crime Books

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible writing
I'm maybe becoming a grumpy old man but the standard of writing in this book is shocking. Does Andrew Gross get a bonus payment every time he uses an exclamation mark?

Badly written English, poorly constructed prose; he tries to overcome his deficiencies in writing ability by using short sentences and adding excitement by using the exclamation mark...
Published 20 months ago by Bryn

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this book....., 12 April 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: No Way Back (Paperback)
I first discovered Andrew Gross as he co-writes with James Patterson. Following on from those books I picked up his novels ...written by him alone and featuring Ty Hauk (major character crush going on there!). I have since read all of his books that he has written alone and with the exception of one have enjoyed all of them. His last release '15 Seconds' was a "hang on to your seat" kind of book and I was hoping his new one would be just as good. Thankfully Mr Gross has come up trumps once again with this newest release of No Way Back.

One thing I would point out (although minor I know) is that some people may mistake this book for his last as the covers are similar at a glance. I know this is minor but can't help but feel it may make some people skim past it online, thinking they have already read it, which I certainly wouldn't recommend! Wendy Gould and Laurita Velez are the two main characters in this new book and their worlds will become terrifyingly dangerous as the book starts as a pretty fast paced read from the get go!

Wendy Gould was an average mother, however now she's the sole witness to the murder she's being framed for. The first few chapters see Wendy in a hotel bar, and the shocking thing is that it could be any woman out there. Her situation is one that many people could have been in that day, only Wendy (thankfully fictional) was the one that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It takes mere three or four chapters for me to realise that this latest Gross book is no less thrilling than the last.

Lauritzia Velez is a suburban nanny with a tragic past and a terrifying future. After another attempt on her life, she once again leaves everything she loves behind to go on the run. Both women know too much and have no idea just how much their worlds will clash. Both characters drew my attention from the early days and as both women find their worlds becoming more and more dangerous, I found myself reading quicker. Having started this book yesterday morning, I finished it by the time I had to go to sleep. It was a book that was full of threads that have you questioning who is involved and why.

I found myself having to pay close attention in the latter part of the book as there are so many potential characters involved and different threads that are all intertwined. The book held my attention from start to finish and there were plenty of twists turns and surprises that I thoroughly enjoyed each and every page. I almost feel like the more Andrew Gross writes, the better he gets. This is certainly a thriller that has all the right ingredients, and one that will keep you up into the small hours reading. I still await the return of my character crush, with a new book featuring Ty Hauck, but until then am keeping myself occupied with his fantastic stand alone novels. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars No way I was putting this book down!, 14 April 2013
Mr. J. D. Gibson "Jonathan Gibson" (Bedford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: No Way Back (Paperback)
A new Andrew Gross book has become something to look forward to... I picked up this book hoping that it would live up to previous books by the author - thankfully I was in for a treat!

The characters, as usual, are superbly described and the book moves at such a pace that it keeps you reading! The storyline is gripping and contains all the usual twists and turns that you would expect from a "thriller"

I would highly recommend this book to fans of fast paced, well told novels - give it a go :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible writing, 26 July 2013

Very poor

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read BUT ......, 26 April 2013
This review is from: No Way Back (Kindle Edition)
dont purchase the Part 2 and Part 3 - they are both covered in this book.
Very odd marketing - you end up feeling conned!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really my cup of tea, 26 July 2013
This review is from: No Way Back (Paperback)
This novel was bought for me, but the positive comment on the cover by Linwood Barclay encouraged me on. It is the story of an ordinary young American woman Wendy, who, through hardly any fault of her own, becomes mixed up in a nightmare scenario of murder, intrigue and mayhem. Not only is her life threatened as a result, but the authorities who appear for the most part to be malign, seem to conspire to make her a party to conspiracy, rather than an innocent caught up in others wrongdoing.

Could the nightmare happen to you or me? I suppose it could - and that gives the book its strength. There but for the grace of providence go all of us. The problem for me though, was that, as the book progressed, events became so extreme, they became utterly unbelievable and I lost sympathy with Wendy and came to regard her as merely an invention, rather than a real person. Despite everything, things were sure to turn out right for her, and guess what?

I understand Andrew Gross is an accomplished novelist, and maybe I will try something else of his, but on the strength of this book, I am not sure I will rush to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Standalone thriller better than the Ty Hauck series, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: No Way Back (Paperback)
LOVED this book. Andrew Gross is at his best working with the classic 'person on the run' narrative and this one is among his best. Led by two strong female leads, the books gets into the suspense quickly and then doesn't let up until the end. You can see the influence of James Patterson on the author but, unlike Patterson, Gross can run several strands of narrative throughout the book then tie them altogether in the climax of the book. I find Patterson a bit one note, and not much happens in his books, it just has big print words to fill the pages.

Anyway, I have been a fan of Gross for a while and I have read all his books. But I have grown tired of his regular series of Ty Hauck books and prefer his stand alone thrillers.

I'd put this book up there as his best along with 15 seconds, which also is about a person on the run wrongly framed from a crime they didn't commit.

I'll probably skip further Ty Hauck books and wait for the stand alone books from now on because Gross still has the gift of delivering a suspenseful book.

3.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable read, 17 April 2013
This review is from: No Way Back (Paperback)
There is no way back for Wendy after she not only witnesses a murder, but commits one as well. Lauritzia has no life to go back to either as she is being hunted down by a Mexican drug lord. However, will they be able to find a way out?

It takes a while for the story lines to come together, but when it did it started to grab my attention. The time lines are somewhat confusing and Wendy several times repeating her story, as well as the long-winded dialogue before the protagonist is finally shot irked me.

Having read several previous books of this author, I find this book not up to par with what I have come to expect from Andrew Gross. It still is an enjoyable read with a few surprising twists, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 11 May 2013
This review is from: No Way Back (Kindle Edition)
This book was an exciting and page turning read. However parts 2 and 3 appear to be duplicates of the original book.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good story is 5 stars but the writing isn't, 30 May 2013
This review is from: No Way Back (Paperback)
I have read 3 books by Andrew Gross and they are all very 'safe'...No nasty surprises and the story is always exciting and intriguing enough to keep you reading it.

'No Way Back' has a fast-paced and exciting storyline. Unfortunately, there are too many bits that are repetitive... AG just keeps saying the same thing over and over again (So I knocked off a star for that!)

You can probably skip 10 to 15% of the pages and still have the effect.

It is a great read. I especially recommend reading this when you are flying somewhere. The book isn't very long (and you can skip all those repetitive bits, and you start when you are on board and you can probably finish it on your return flight.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Way Back by Andrew Gross, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: No Way Back (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read by Andrew Gross but it won't be the last.

The story was clever with lots of twists and unexpected turns. I thought a few times I had worked it out but I hadn't totally.

The ending was good but it did feel a little rushed as if the author had had enough but maybe that's just from my point of view.

Don't let it deter you from this book it will hold your interest.

Karrie