on 17 October 2012
This is the second book in The Estate series and Oh my god what a book..from the first page yet again I was hooked. I loved the way the story flowed from the first book and with the intruduction of new charcters it kept me reading till the last page.
Mel Sherratt manages to keep producing fantastic story lines with so many twists and turns that I find myself holding my breath while turning the page one min then the next ive got a big grin on my face.
I have been following this author's blogg and FB page and one thing that makes her stand out from other Authours apart from the fact she is a brilliant writer is just how much she cares about her readers.
The Estate is a is a captivating series which I highly reccomend...bring on book 3!
on 4 November 2012
Mel Sherratt has the rare ability of writing in a style that compels the reader to keep turning the pages. In her short crisp sentences, there's nothing flowery and nothing superfluous leaving the reader to get on with the story.

In this, her second novel set on the notorious Mitchell estate in a city somewhere in England, she tells the tale of housing officer Josie and the difficulties she faces with her horrendous caseload and difficult clients. Josie featured in the first book of the series and she's a compassionate character who comes to life in the book - the reader can't help but like her. In this episode of the series, Josie has to contend with troubled single mums, burgled clients and battered partners while trying to keep her own tangled home life under control.

Behind all the grimness and grit there is hope and a hint of romance which lifts the novel and makes it uplifting rather than depressing.

An enjoyable read. I am looking forward to the next one.
on 24 June 2013
Well done Mel, having completed all 3 of The Estate books in order I am suffering from post finishing book depression!
Mel has such a talent for seeminglessly getting you inside each character. Even though you can read these in any order Mel has cleverly added snippets from the other books so they flow really well and make each book a very realistic insight to The Estate.
I would LOVE Mel to continue The Estate as there are so many characters you could add and I dont think Mels fans would ever get bored as her talent is awesome!!
on 29 June 2013
Just as good as Somewhere to Hide. Loved it how the characters from the other book appear. You feel as if you know them. Someone, somewhere will be able to relate to anyone of the female characters. Couldn't stop smiling as the story drew to a close. Can't wait to read Fighting for Survival. Mel, I hope you're on with the next book!
on 19 March 2013
What a fantastic read. I loved this book from start to finish. I have read all the Estate books which I have enjoyed thoroughly. But my favourite was definitely Behind a Closed Door. I have also read Taunting the Dead which I also loved. I am now a big fan of Mel Sherratt. Please keep them coming. I would definitely recommend this author's books. All her books are well written and I could so easily identify with all the characters in all her books.
I really felt like a nosy neighbor reading this book at times, getting into peoples personal lives, and lets face it, aren't we all a little nosy?

I really enjoyed this account in book 2, we get to meet a few more characters from the Mitchell Estate.

Josie is the Housing Officer, we see and hear a lot about her. Very kind, very patient, but does her job.

The Mitchell Estate is a down and out place to live, lots were reliant on benefits from the state, and LOTS knew how to scam too, dodgy dealings, crime.

Some dirty unkempt residence that were treated with respect from Josie.

I loved the comment when she arrived at someones door, the person was [well let me say...] a bit dirty, and then it was said "that the trousers could walk away on their own". Loved it.

I feel Josie goes way beyond her job description as the Housing Officer at times.
She got to know many of the tenants.
She had to deal with unkempt gardens, refuse, waste, anti social behavior, help with benefits. Even an escaping dog!!!

Josie has problems in her private life of her own. Her marriage wasn't all it was cracked up to be. She worked long and hard hours, many times getting in late. Her husband Stewart hardly pulling his finger out to do anything. We later see some decisions being made.

This story also focuses on a 20 something girl with a young daughter of her own. She did live in the 'better' part, but through no fault of her own she finds herself on the Mitchell Estate. Right smack bang in the middle. It was interesting to see Josie's part in her life and how the young girl changed her life around until........
her boyfriend came out of prison.

There also is another love interest other than her boyfriend, so will this make a difference to her life? Her future, her daughters future?

This is a great DOWN TO EARTH story, stories that could be you or I, stories that are out there among us. And Josie the Housing Officer, the caring person that she is trying to do the best she can.

I loved the insight the author gave to Josie's personal life, her expectations and her exacerbations.

This is not an edge of your seat tale, this is a relax enjoy, its like watching one of those documentory's on the TV like Benefit street!

I loved it.

I must thank Mel Sherratt for allowing me the pleasure of reading this. I found it fascinating and I really felt like some nosy neighbor peeking out of my window. LOL
on 26 December 2012
Behind Closed Doors will I am sure be well received by those that enjoyed the first episode from the Mitchel Estate. Unlike many writers who set books on so called sink estates Sherratt avoids all the traps that others fall into. This is not a mere collection of stereotypes closely held together in a story-line. What Sherratt achieves in both her books is a good look at some real people living in a real place, where sometimes bad things happen. One can feel very sympathetic with the main characters as they try to rebuild their lives after having them ripped apart by selfish and unfeeling partners. The book flows with a strong story line which carried one right through to the final page.
The comparison will be made with that book by J K Rowling A Casual Vacancy, where she crams the pages with every stereotype imaginable. Sherratt does not do this. The backdrop to the story evokes naturally and as part of the scenery. What Sherratt does so successfully is the blending of totally believable people together in a plot that just happens to be played out on an estate where hope is in short demand; where goodness shines out from those who care and the evil that is done brings its own reward. it is possible even in that place to find those who are good and who have other's interests at heart.
It is to be hoped that Sherratt has not finished her saga and will continue to delight us with more tales from this estate.
on 24 October 2012
Absolutely loved this second installment of The Estate books. Josie Mellor really came to life as did Kelly who also had a starring part. Everyone can place an estate near to them where you can imagine this is set and the writing is sheer brilliance!

Total bargain for the price and cant wait for the third part.
on 30 November 2012
just finished this book tonight and again other great read, found it hard to put down as i have read all her books up too date, a few twists and turns this one keeps you going till the end and the heels get a look in as well. will keep a lookout for her next book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 October 2015
Behind a Closed Door is the second book in The Estate series and actually reads easily as a stand alone, though having read the first you are missing out if you don't read it as well.

In Behind a Closed Door we get to know Josie better who is doing her best in her role to try and make things better for the tenants in the Mitchell Estate.
It does seem like she is fighting a losing battle at times as some people do not want her help and just see her as an interfering busy body.

I have to say Josie deserves a gold medal for what she has to put up with in her job. She really wants to try and help everyone even though at times she might as well be hitting her head against a brick wall trying to get through to some of the tenants. Josie really does have her plate full yet she wants to try and better herself even more, much to the disapproval of her husband Stewart.

Josie really is a great character and I love the friendship that starts to blossom between her and Kelly the other main character in the story.

The Estate really is a great series, the author tackles some tough issues in todays society and it makes for a gripping read. I just love how the author manages to shock the reader and throws the odd twist in for good measure also. I really can not recommend this series highly enough, I have absolutely loved the first two books and I am so glad I have got the third book already on my kindle waiting to be read as I can not wait to see what else is in store for the people of Mitchell Estate.