4.0 out of 5 stars A Start, 9 Jun. 2012
heretic666 (High Dudgeon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Book of Kells, The (Paperback)
I wanted to dip my toe into the water before submerging myself in one of the most beautiful books ever produced in these islands. This book fits the bill, mostly.
I say mostly because some of the text is as dry as dust and contradictory to previous dissertations on the subject. You might like a page on the differences that three round dots or four square dots can make in a text.
And to be honest I would have liked some sort of key to explain what I was looking at. Not a verbal explanation, but something like a line drawing opposite with the large decorative squiggle that resembles nothing defined as the letter Q, then another showing which part of the Q was hiding the U, O, N etc.
The beauty of the illumination shines out but I found the majority of it to be unintelligible even when the script was written plain on the facing page. Some letters I never found no matter how long I stared. And the text mentions details like snakes being confused as lions and there is not that much to see without using a magnifying glass.
With twenty five colour plates this can be called a good sampler, but for my needs I think I might have to try ten different editions at enormous expense to satisfy my queries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Book of Kells (Kindle Edition)
Beautifully reproduced