Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£10.99

on 3 November 2012
I am now officially envious of all you Brits living across the pond. Here in Canada, I never heard of BBC's Radio 1 program with the brilliant concept of having the greatest musical artists re-imagining the current or best hits of the year. I only found this album by chance while searching Amazon's new releases in compilations...

This double cd is perthaps the best selection of music and pop stars and is on the same level if not higher than the NOW That's What I Call Music series that I and countless others eagerly wait in order to have all the best tracks at a given moment.

Olly Murs makes "Without You" sound as if he was meant to sing it from the beginning. Florence & The Machine do a fantastic job reworking Drake's "Take Care".... Do not be put off by the cd title of "Live Lounge" These tracks are not just vocal versions with some soft guitar. Rather these are reworked versions of songs with lots of instrumentation that add a freshness and newness to every track. Just take a listen to Tulisa singing "Titanium"

Hopefully this series will continue and that SONY MUSIC will introduce it to a wider audience. If this was available here in North America, it would be a HUGE TOP SELLER!!!
on 16 November 2012
This 2 CD is brilliant. The tracks on this 2 CD album are awesome. The tracks are reworked versions of songs with an added freshness to every track. A must for the collection!
on 19 April 2013
Sometimes when you hear live lounge on radio, its quite endearing to hear artists taking on other peoples tracks - even if sometimes they crucify the original.
When you hear 20 ruined versions in a row it gets a bit annoying.
My tip to aspiring artists would be this:
If you play decent guitar based indie/rock music - dont take on a Britney/Carly Rae tune - its not cool or even that funny and you sound rubbish!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 July 2015
I do love these annual compilations from the BBC Radio 1 'Live Longue' show, and this 2012 edition is one of the best in the series.

The beauty of these double albums is that, not only do we hear the work of real musicians who don't need to have added-in effects to make them sound good, but we also can also hear them cover material that we wouldn't usually associate with the artist/s. It's also a chance to hear some acoustically play their own big hit of the year with a stripped-back sound.

Highlights here for me include my favourite indie-rock band the Arctic Monkeys performing Katy B's 'On A Mission', the novelty of Ben Howard delivering a far more emotional and superior version of Carly Rae Jepson's pop hit 'Call Me Maybe', the collaboration of Ed Sheeran/Devlin/Labrinth on 'No Church in the Wild', originally by Jay Z & Kayne West, and the Vaccines recording a better version of the annoying Taylor Swift hit 'We Are Never Getting Back Together'. There's also James Morrison being allowed to show off his gorgeously soulful vocals on 'I Won't Let You Go', Mumford and Sons with their 'I Will Wait', and Alex Clare and his indie hit 'Too Close'.

I have respect for all these great performers even if I don't care greatly for their contributions. Such an electric and varied mix of artists always means that there will be stuff here that some people will love, and some that they won't, but personally, I think there is more good than bad on this 'Live Longue' album. A great set!
on 11 December 2012
I'm not a huge pop music fan anymore (sad, but showing my age) but this album is one of the most entertaining listens I've brought in years! Yes there is either the odd song or interpretation I dislike but none are worth skipping over. THIS is how pop music should be - pop stars showing off their actual talents (singing in tune and live). Try the short clips before you buy but if you like these songs/artists then you will probably already own it and if you are like me its the cheapest download I have found and well worth it!
on 19 November 2012
Great album, all the tracks are very good continuing the best of the excellent Radio 1 Live recorded sessions..
At full price (nearly £10 !) it was too expensive but at the better £7.49 a fair price.

Very high quality recordings, and a good choice of artists and tracks.

Would reccomend at the £7.49 price.
on 27 December 2012
I don't usually write reviews on here, but I had to make an exception. This album was bought for me for Christmas and after listening to Jessie j's domino on there, I knew my present never lived up to what they got me.

The album is phenomenal. I, myself, love to listen to acoustic music with little bass, lots of piano or folk guitar. To find that an album was made with the bare minimals of music with such talent was breathtaking. Chart songs that are known and loved by all have been stripped down to reveal the pure talent which may have been previously hiding behind bass and obvious audio tuning.

Jessie J is my favourite singer by far. I have her albums and knew she was an incredible vocalist but after listening to her song on this album I am in awe. Her voice range is amazing and she managed to give me goosebumps for the whole 4 minutes. Definitely an album to recommend for all generations and musical talents.
on 4 November 2012
All I can say is this album is awesome. In my opinion, the best of the live lounge albums so far. Wish they released more than one live lounge album a year though.
on 2 February 2013
Having previously bought Dermot's Saturday Sessions and really enjoying it I thought I would give this album a try. I like the mix of music and most of the songs included. It has a contemporary feel and it has a good mix of artists, for me it doesn't seem to be targeted towards any particular age group and is more interesting to listen to than the standard NOW style of album. It would have been a five star if they had a few more songs from different decades but neverless is very good, and I would definately consider buying the next one.
on 13 December 2012
I only bought this after seeing it advertised on TV and thought I would give it a go. I'm glad I did. I wasn't aware of the Live Lounge series of albums so this was my first but it won't be my last. I was very impressed with the relaxed, acoustic sound of the album and the songs are not all simply 'live' versions of the original recordings but are individual tracks in their own right. I have already ordered another in the series and have a number of them also on my wish list. Excellent buy!