on 28 October 2013
A fantastically written book.

OK it's a bit niche. But this a more significant era than you may realise and Ian Jones writes about it with great skill and flair.
He has interviewed all the major players (No Frank Bough but that's not really a surprise) and the book is packed full of incident. It's very funny and lifts the lid on the power and idealogical struggles taking place behind the screens of our breakfast television shows.

I highly reccommend it.
on 7 March 2014
Delighted to see this book is available for Kindle after its original limited print run. The story of the inception and development of breakfast television from the 1980s onwards is something that always fascinates TV enthusiasts and when you read this meticulously researched tale of it all, you will understand why. Everything is covered here, the precursors, the surprise format of Breakfast Time, the disastrous birth of TV-am and its renaissance, changes in the 1990s with the Big Breakfast et al. All woven into a compelling narrative and featuring contributions from every big name involved at the time. I cannot recommend this highly enough, easily one of the best books ever written about television history and one I find myself coming back to time and again.
on 16 February 2013
For anyone like me who is interested in the history of Breakfast TV, this is an excellent book.

The author has clearly done his research and there are insightful quotes from key figures in the industry including John Stapleton, Nick Owen, Nick Ross and Nicholas Witchell. I found the analysis spot on, although I do not know what Sophie Raworth has done to offend Mr Jones as I think she is great!
on 13 March 2014
At last, an easy to obtain version of Ian Jones' cracking history of Breakfast telly. This book covers from the launch of Breakfast Time to the demise of Rise, and it's startling to see that the same mistakes as dogged TV-am and GMTV are still being repeated decades on by ITV.
on 12 February 2007
... A definitive overview of the history of British breakfast television. OK, I have a vested interested in this book as I supplied the illustrations (the only thing about the whole project that anyone's ever criticised) - but, believe me, I'm not on a percentage or anything.

This is a gloriously well-researched and beautifully written account of 20 years of broadcasting. You don't have to be interested in GMTV to get something out of Morning Glory; it's a fine document of the television industry per se. Think Michael Leapman's The Last Days Of The Beeb meets Andrew Davidson's Under The Hammer. It's that good. Plus, Greg Dyke's in there.

I don't know why it's taken me so long to file a review of it, really.
on 21 September 2014
A fantastic review of breakfast tv in the 80s and 90s - all the behind the scenes stuff with tvam and bbc breakfast! Well recommended and a great read!
on 19 January 2014
I've wanted this book for years and now Ive read it.
Very interesting if you are into media, tv and the UK Commercial Franchise process
on 14 May 2014
With the demise of Daybreak and the launch of Good Morning Britain, I'd definitely buy an updated edition of this book.