5.0 out of 5 stars Superman will provide?
I bought this for my son who was 13 at the time (14 now) as I'm trying to get him to read more, he's into all the recent Superman, Batman and Spiderman type movies so thought I'd give it a go! I myself was a big comic, graphic novel reader as a kid and looked forward to this myself.

Red Son is the trilogy (all three in here) of an alternate Superman,...
Published on 6 May 2012 by KM

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, disappointing execution
Published 18 months ago by Finn Newick

5.0 out of 5 stars Superman will provide?, 6 May 2012
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Superman: Red Son (Paperback)

Red Son is the trilogy (all three in here) of an alternate Superman, Russia/USA. Instead of crash landing in America he lands in the Ukraine. A sort of adopted son of Stalin, Superman no longer fights for truth and justice in the American way he supports Stalin, socialism and extending these ideals to the world over! The trilogy spans the years from 1950-2001 and maybe beyond?

There is a hell of a lot in here if you look and some you will miss even after reading twice over. Loads of real life people and other superheroes pop up in their own alternate forms such as the Russian anti-superman terrorist Batman! and our very own Tony Benn can be seen with trademark pipe in one scene (see if you can spot him!)

The plot line is brilliant (and I won't give anymore away) so much going on to make you think if you read deep enough into it all. The artwork is fantastic, great colours, facial expressions are spot on bringing all the emotions to life and the alternate superhero costumes and back stories are brilliant too! The last few pages will blow you away!

Well my lad really enjoyed this book anyway so that good in itself. He read it!

A very good if not one of the best graphic novels I've read as a Superman/graphic novel fan. Definitely worth reading if you're into this type of stuff.

Up! Up! and awaaaaayyyyy!!!!!

God I'm old :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, disappointing execution, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Superman: Red Son (Kindle Edition)
I don't generally read superhero comics (preferring less mainstream titles) but the premise behind this one was enough to make me buy it on a whim and give it a whirl on my iPad (I also avoid electronic copies of comics/graphic novels). The artwork is gorgeous, the reds really screamed off of the page in a way you don't get from paper editions and the retina resolution gave everything a super-high definition, almost animation cell, feel. The only low point was Batman's costume which has a fur hat incorporated into it and frankly looks like a rather childish attempt to make the character look Russian. Sadly much of the detail of the story has the same problems: Stalin's crimes are brushed aside in a few weak comments, Lex Luthor is barely credible character, there's no feel of any Soviet or communist ideology behind anything. I personally found the ending very feeble, not challenging in any way. It was a fun read, but I was expecting something more thought provoking: a criticism or exploration of the cold war, the US, the Soviet Union, capitalism or communism but any sort of historical context was pretty much absent beyond some (admittedly wonderfully rendered) flag waving crowd scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Superman Red Son TP (Paperback)
I'll be honest, I bought this out of curiosity more than a genuine interest. Superman has never been a popular character with me; I've found him far too righteous and a little clichéd.
This storyline has given me a different perspective. I understood Superman as a person, not just a character. The alternate storyline just told you so much about him that really changed my opinion on the character.
The story itself is fascinating, giving fantastic, well-thought out alternate origins for the characters. This review certainly does not do it justice, but I certainly recommend it for ANY comic book fan, even if they don't particularly like Superman.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Red Son Rises... never to set, hopefully, 8 Mar 2008
Sam (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superman: Red Son (Paperback)
I have read this book over ten times so far and am still finding layers I had not seen before. I cannot recommend it enough. Red Son takes Kal-L (note spelling old school Superman fans) and places him in Soviet Russia at the height of Stalin's power. It shows how the world would be if Superman had ultimate power but communist ideals.

The story begins in 1953, continues up to the modern day and far beyond. Superman remains the same kind hearted hero he has always been portrayed as but now his actions have as much political impact as physical particularly with Stalin's influence. As time moves on his responsibility grows and he must decide what to do for the best. America fears this new Soviet weapon and so commission their greatest mind Lex Luthor to come up with a solution. Luthor is portrayed brilliantly here, his genius pouring out of every word and action. When he is first introduced he is learning Urdu from a tape recorder he designed in the washroom, reading Machiavelli's Il principe and playing fourteen games of chess at once, all in his coffee break.

Millar does a good job of making extraordinary things like this seem simple and relatable to the reader. The Superman presented here is massively powerful but also very human. When he meets Luthor's first but by no means only plan to remove him, a bizzaro-esqe clone, and his true blue spirit is shown as well as his awesome power. He says, in perfect English "Pardon me if my English isn't perfect but I only learned the language ten minutes ago and I'm still having trouble with the grammar but... these shores are off limits comrade." He wants to help everyone but finds that the more responsibility he has the more control he must exert over the people bringing the point that absolute power corrupts, not nessaceraly the man but his ideals. He laments later "Life was so simple in those days: deflecting meteorites, welding tectonic plates, managing a global economy single handedly."

The writing is immensely clever and the art reflects both the idealistic and darker elements of the narritive. Other Dc characters are placed in the story subtly while various political viewpoints both old and contemporary are discussed. The narrative twists and turns and the ending comes as a complete surprise...something very rare in comics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb., 4 Feb 2009
Chris Morse "faraway_pictures" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Superman: Red Son (Paperback)
I bought this on a whim after reading a short review that basically said: A Superman story that's actually good!

The story is based on one premise, and it's an extremely clever one with incredible cosequences: What if Superman had landed on Earth 12 hours earlier? ...and then been brought up as a good communist at the height of the cold war to become Mother Russias ultimate weapon/deterrant.

America is left with the cleverest man on Earth to find a solution: Lex Luthor.
Along the way we see the Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and a Russian Batman all try and 'stop' Superman from what seems at first an ideal way of leadership.
Enough said, if you have'nt read this I dont want to spoil it for you.

It's definatley one of the most clever stories I've read in a while with extremely well thought out issues. What could have been a boring political book is nothing but entertaining and a real page turner. And the ending...? One of the most jaw dropping that you'll remeber for a long long time.

Mark Miller is writer, Dave Johnson and Kilian Plunkett on artwork duties.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant ‘imaginary’ story, 8 May 2014
No More Mr. Mice Guy (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Superman Red Son TP (Paperback)
This three issue Elseworlds mini-series is collected as Superman Red Son TP. Those of us old enough to remember ‘imaginary’ stories from the good old days will remember especially the story of ‘Superman Red and Superman Blue’. This is definitely the story of Superman Red, whose ship landed in the Ukraine in the 1920s, and not Kansas, and was raised believing in the idealistic socialist way of life. However, unlike many Elseworlds’ stories, it is not just a parody, or a pastiche, of the life of Superman Blue; it is a well-thought-out story that goes way beyond the usual run-of–the-mill ‘what if’ premise. I cannot give any details without spoiling the story, but even the ending, set in a future utopian society, will leave you amazed at the cleverness of the plotting and construction. And yet, there are clues planted (or, if we remember the ‘dog in the night’), missing, that would have warned us if we had stopped to think about it. I actually saw one of the ‘holes’ and just didn’t think it through!

This is a superbly written and illustrated story, featuring the regular cast, but seen in a different light and from a different viewpoint, warts and all. Everything that you’d expect to be crammed into a What If story is here – Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman robots, Brainiac, Luthor Lois Lane, a shrunken & bottled city, Bizarro – and yet is exactly in the right place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Superman Red Son TP (Paperback)
I read about this novel in a forum and was intrigued enough to buy it. I don't own any other graphic novels as it's not something I usually buy, despite the fact I'm a nerd who enjoys superheroes and the genre.

It gets top marks for originality: Superman landing in Russia as a baby and being brought up a Communist, while still holding the values and ideals which make him Superman. It was full of action and a great storyline. I'd recommend it certainly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Class, 8 Mar 2010
This review is from: Superman: Red Son (Paperback)
Is a mans character defined by nature or nurture? Thats the question posed by Mark Millar as he turns the Superman mythology inside out in this alternative take on the Man of steel. Starting in the 1950's we see the worldwide impact of a Superman who was raised in the old Soviet Union. Under a lesser writer this intriguing premise could have been wasted but the writing and artwork are more than worthy of the idea.
The story features Wonder Woman, Batman and several versions of Green Lantern but never at the expense of the central character. And like any good Superman story we find Lex Luthor as the Moriarty to his Holmes. The story spans the latter half of the twentieth century as the arch enemies duel across the decades and the final twist had me reading literally open mouthed. If you only read one Superman tale this should be it. Now stop wasting time with the reviews and get it ordered!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great concept, executed perfectly, 8 Jan 2010
Mr. Leighton P. Jones (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Superman: Red Son (Paperback)
I read 'Superman - Red Son' over the last couple of days and I thought it was absolutely brilliant, one of the best graphic novels I've read.
Im not that into Superman and the only other Superman book i've read was 'All Stars Vol 1' which I didnt even like enough to get the second volume - Red Son however was fantastic.

The initial concept is what might have happened if the baby Superman had landed in Russia instead of America. The writer takes this idea and builds a brilliant story over a fifty year period, and in to the far future. I don't want to say too much in case it spoils it for you but this story uses real life historical figures and events, as well as re-imagined Superman and DC characters and weaves them in to a exciting, thought provoking story all presented via some great artwork.

If you have a tiny bit of Superman knowledge you will love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Alternate Superman Origin Story Around !, 14 Sep 2009
Mr. S. W. Steel "stephensteel" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Superman: Red Son (Paperback)
This is an alternate origin story of Superman, and builds the story up from the simple fact that his spaceship crash-landed in Russia instead of the USA. He is then raised as a communist, and ultimately becomes the leader of the party.
The story starts with Lex Luthor (still and American) doing everything he can to stop Superman from rising to power, and we get a nice cameo from Bizarro here.Other cameos are Wonder Woman, who becomes a staunch supporter of his ideals, Hal Jordan (of Green Lantern fame) and a tiny snippet of Guy Gardiner (another member of the Green Lantern Corps.)
Superman becomes the next Russian leader, and persuades more and more countries to convert to communism - and to a point, he succeeds; except that America does not convert. Luthor becomes President, and looks to rebuild the country as a capitalist ideal. In the meantime, Superman has his own problems as the leader of a vast empire.As ever, he is only trying to do what is best for everyone, but again we see his best intentions marred by his naivety. The people need to choose for themselves what they want to do with their lives. And this is personified by a Russian Batman, who creates havoc by blowing up Government buildings and spraying the Bat symbol in the cities.
There are lots of twists and turns to this graphic novel, and i won't spoil the story for you. The twists are well thought out and have been given time to develop in the storyline, so you will be surprised when they happen, but at least on reflection, you can see WHY they happened.
Good points to the graphic novel then, are ; a great plot, good twists, excellent cameos, a very clever ending (one of the better ones in Superman comic), good artwork and also - a good price. Too many graphic novels are quite pricey at the moment, but this is really good value for your money.
The only slight niggle is the Russian Batman. It doesn't quite ring true in the plot, and more could have been made of the character and his plotline. It would have been nicer to have kept the Batman as an American so that Batman and Superman are different in so many ways. But, this is a minor gripe.
The final thing i would say, is don't let the cover put you off. It put me off for quite a while, and that was because it looks a bit weak, a bit glum, and a bit un-Superman-ish, but that's the point! It isn't meant to be a typical Superman story.
I would say if you are a Superman fan, you should definitely have this in your collection!

Superman: Red Son