on 17 February 2013
As an IT professional I wanted a PC powerful enough for database development, but at a reasonable cost. This Zoostorm unit fits the bill well; plenty of memory and a very respectable 4 core i5 processor. However, out of the box it was ridiculously loud - I'm talking fan-heater levels of noise.

I considered changing the processor fan, but on inspection it turned out the PC was already fitted with a semi decent Akasa unit. The problem was that it had been configured to run at full speed regardless of processor temperature. This was quite easily fixed by changing the bios settings; you dont need to load speedfan as other reviewers have suggested. This improved things greatly, but the power supply was still too noisy for my liking, so I swapped in an old Antec unit and now the PC is nearly silent at idle.

I've fitted an SSD for the system drive, and loaded Windows 7 - now the unit is fast, stable and quiet. This a good PC and great value for money, but the problem with the fan (even though fixed at no cost) and the noisy power supply lose it a star.
on 1 August 2013
Arrived quick as promised ;)

Server is as one would expect at this price - sturdy enough for requirements
The tech inside is most important part!

I had read many reviews both at Amazon and E****.com that tended to infer noisy fan, bad disk drive, difficult OS install etc

I can only confirm my experience within day of receipt which was :

- No issues with fans! Very quiet as far as I can tell
- No issues with OS install - put disk in drive and follow instructions
- Disk Drive is fine - After 15 years of Pc's Ive had far worse!

So at end of day 1 - Win 7 Ultimate installed fine, all drivers did likewise with CD supplied, no issues at all experienced

I installed Handbrake to quickly see how video converting differs from my old rig (P4 dual core/2 Gig mem)
where it took hours - now we are talking within 20 mins for bog standard mp4

Very happy so far - lets hope it continues!
on 18 February 2014
Despite some of the reviews of this desktop I have found it to be the quietest PC I have ever owned. I have linked it to an Acer 21.5 inch HD screen and the built in HD graphics are perfect. The processor is fast and for the first time I am now getting full use of my 120MPS broadband. Definitely recommend this machine.
on 17 June 2013
I've had some good deals from Amazon Warehouse overall, so when I saw this £40 cheaper than listed and a nicer case than Zoomstorm often use, I took the plunge I had been contemplating for some time and bought a 'new' desktop.

I had an operating system I had not used the key on so thought it would all be quite simple to get done locally as I'm hopeless!

The delivery was a day early, great job Amazon!
But when I opened the box though my first concerns arose. LOADS of bubble wrap, but only on one side and the top. The keyboard was wedged down the other side unprotected and the mouse was in the bubble-wrap on top along with the (damaged) 3 pin plug. The fact one pin was missing from the plug was not inspiring, so I looked closer overall and realised not only was the rear end with the video sockets hard against the cardboard, the sockets were slightly protruding and in transit they had (i guess) been knocked/hit/crushed and the rear was a bit 'bent' inward.

Having no Op system I didn't know if to experiment or not, so I procrastinated for a spell whilst seeking opinions of those more knowledgeable.

After the 2 software firms declined to install an operating system due to comebacks from the possible computer damage, I reluctantly returned what otherwise looked to be a nice replacement for me.
Amazon were great in dealing with the return; and I wondered what I'd missed until .......

Luckily I soon saw a genuine Asus of similar spec on another site.
Except that spec was far better as it had usb 3.0 ports, Sata 3 (this is only Sata 2), plus Win 8 (base) was included - and best of all it only cost £349.
(I would now never consider a comp without usb 3.0 now I tried it)

Overall I feel more relaxed too with the proper Asus branded product as their reputation for quality is good, plus there are none of the fan noise/cpu noise and cheap keyboard etc associated with Zoomstorm products to later replace/worry about - so without criticising this particular model, despite it's seemingly just using up parts that are fast becoming obsolete, I was just very lucky.

All kudos, as ever, to Amazon however though for standing by their 30 day return policy as I was in a real quandary over this situation; but then again that is why I come back here so often for so many other things!!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2013
This item is the noisiest Desktop I have ever had the misfortune to have purchased. When it is running in an upstairs room it can be heard downstairs while the doors are closed As for the Techinal support it is as much use as an ashtray on a motor bike. Their attitude is it doesent concern us we are only the manafacturer
on 30 January 2014
Aside from being a large case ('really' large given the contents) these are great value pc's
Quiet, of reasonable robustness not much else to say other than "you get what you see".
on 12 May 2013
this pc is a vast improvement on my old pentium 4 and with the addition of a GT630 graphics card does everything I need of it only faster much faster.
on 19 August 2013
most computers you can hear the fan going around but you need to have you ear next to the pc to hear but you do need to bye O S sold on it own.
on 22 March 2014
Good value for money. Does what it says on the box. Quiet & efficient. Very happy with my purchase! Recommended
on 10 December 2012
Excellent value for money, super fast ! Don't know how i managed before, would highly recommend to anyone who wants an office computer