4.0 out of 5 stars The reluctant Dragon on cd- a very nice tale!
Wonderfully read by acclaimed actor Anton Lesser, Kenneth Grahams less known story about The Reluctant Dragon really comes to life. A very funny and sweet story, much different from the world-famous Wind in the Willows by the same author.
Published on 6 Jan 2009 by S. Väpnargård

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great
Published on 4 Aug 2009 by Joyeuse

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but not great, 4 Aug 2009
Joyeuse (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have to admit to being disappointed by this recording - it appealed because this has been one of my favourite stories ever since it was included in one of the bumper books anthologies that used to be a feature of Christmas presents for children in the 50s so I fell on this recording expecting a nice dose of nostalgia. Bad mistake. For a start it removes the beginning and end which sets it up as a story told to the Grahame children on a cold winter evening walk after finding tracks in the snow and then Anton Lesser indulges in the common actor's fault of assuming phony rural accents. The narrator's voice as a story teller should prevail over the actor's here and fails lamentably so that the whole atmosphere of the tale is lost.

If you really want to know the story of the reluctant dragon then read it in Kenneth Grahame's combined tales of his siblings and their childhood in "Dream Days" and "The Golden Age" and hear it from the voice in your head and give this sorry travesty a miss. The books are a wonderful evocation of a Victorian childhood lived by five orphans being brought up by an assortment of aunts and uncles - the Olympians with their incomprensible values and requirements for correct behaviour - to be undermined and subverted by any right-thinking child.

4.0 out of 5 stars The reluctant Dragon on cd- a very nice tale!, 6 Jan 2009
S. Väpnargård "Auburn Raven" (Skåne Sweden) - See all my reviews
One cd with a total listening time at about an hour- makes perfect time for a bedtime story for the bigger child or for listening in the car whilst going shopping or for any shorter drive.
I reccomend this for any child who is not too big for fairy tales (wich of course also makes it VERY suitable for adults young at heart!!)-this one is a real winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Reluctant Dragon, 3 Sep 2009
Jackie B (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this tape along with two others ( Just So Stories & My Completely Best Story Collection) for my 5 year old grandson, to listen to on a long journey down through France, this year. The Reluctant Dragon was his favourite, inspite of the very grown up vocabulary, which did surprise but delight me - I have to say that I thought it was fabulous, and was amazed that this was the tape he requested in preference to the more 'easy listening' options. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm perfectly happy whit this tale, 8 Jan 2009
I am an English learner and usually listen to audiobook stories or tales in the car making my way to work or home. Up until now I used graded readers editions (from Cambridge or Oxford University press), but I decided to push it a step forward and try with some children's audiobook edited for English 'ears', not foreing ones. I've to say that although I've enjoyed 'The Reluctant Dragon' a lot, it's not as easy-lisening as graded edition I mentioned before. But, believe me, it's a beautiful story that worth all the time I'have (and will!!) spent on it.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 26 Sep 2009
I brought this for a friends little boy who was having trouble sleeping. He wouldn't stay in bed. I brought this and said he must listen to it at bed time and tell me how the story ends. He has yet to hear the ending as it relaxes him and he falls asleep before the end. My friend thinks its marvellous.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Reluctant Dragon, 25 Jun 2009
A lovely story, with a message for everyone. A great bedtime story for the middle of the day.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant tale which will catch the attention of the child listener, 4 Jan 2010
A. Kirk (UK) - See all my reviews
Some stories appeal to both children and their parents, this one will certainly attract the younger set, but, while pleasant, it is not really so geared at adults. However, it is refreshing to have the option to play stories not tied into TV shows or modern 'attempts to entertain' children, a good straight forward story, and one which will provide the opportunity to discuss issues about fighting / peace / relationships with your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars fanastic reading, 4 Jun 2010
O'connor John Paul (Italy) - See all my reviews
great story this...my only criticism being the very sophisticated vocabulary used...not for very small children. Great story, brilliantly told.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book to read to children, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Dragon (Kindle Edition)
This was a lovely book to read to my 8 year old. The language is old fashioned, so it warranted reading to her to rather than expecting her to read it herself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sons love it, 9 July 2013
We have 3 sons aged between 4 and 11 and they all love it as a bedtime story. Good purchase

The Reluctant Dragon