Format: Audio CD|Change

Amazon suggested this series for me but don't give the titles nor the track listing for these original album series so I have got one to help the would be buyer help make up their mind.
It is not a review so much as just a n aide to you.
This 5 CD set by Jean Luc Ponty is in a stiff card board case with the Cds enclosed in replicas of the albums in 'cheap as chips' (or should that be frites?) cardboard sleeves.
Some people hate the sleeves but I for one love them- great for storage.

The albums are

2. The Gardens of Babylon
3. Wandering On the Milky Way
4. Once Upon A Dream
5. Tarantula
6. Imaginary Voyage (Part I)
7. Imaginary Voyage (Part II)
8. Imaginary Voyage (Part III)
9. Imaginary Voyage (Part IV)

CD 4 ENIGMATIC OCEAN

5. Puppet&apos
6. Fake Paradise
7. Ethereal Mood
8. Egocentric Molecules
9. Does anyone read this far?
on 24 July 2013
I was aware of Jean Luc Ponty for some time and had always wanted to check out his 70s stuff so when I saw this little collection it was an absolute must at the price

After just one listen to each album I can say that they are all of an excellent quality and I look forward to exploring these in greater depth
on 14 February 2013
Ponty takes you on a journey full of energy and richness. Anticipating and being rewarded with newness and originality. This is a great collection to have.
on 18 November 2015
OK, before the inevitable angry-mob get their keyboards clicking, I freely admit that I know little about Jazz. I first got into Jean-Luc Ponty after listening to 'Birds of Fire' by the Mahavishnu Orchestra ['One Word' from that album [1972] must be the best Rock/Prog/Fusion/... etc track ever recorded]. I remember buying 'On the Wings of Music' when it first came out (1974?) and it rarely left my turntable. However, during the 80's my massive record/ CD collection was burned to nothing in a house fire, and it has been a slow process rebuilding it. I recently bought the Jean-Luc Ponty 5-CD set 'Original Album Series' in the hope of reliving my youth. With great expectation I played the first CD .... and was greatly disappointed. Great musicianship, great arrangements, great re-mastering, but , as with the most common criticism of music from that period, ever so self-indulgent. Now, to Jazz purists, the bizarre chord changes, time signatures, and almost endless twiddly bits are probably superb, but I have moved on I think and these 5 CDs left me totally unimpressed. Of the 5, my favourite is 'Enigmatic Ocean' as this is a little tighter, less improvisational. 'La monde bouge' as they say in Jean-Luc Ponty's France, and so have I.

Edited Later: On reading my above review it may seem a little confusing as J-L P did not play on 'Birds of Fire' - that was Jerry Goodman . I meant to imply that I was an admirer of The Mahavishnu Orchestra, and when J-L P joined them in 1974, I followed his career from that time on..The rest, I think stands. Sorry for the confusion.
on 12 July 2014
Jean-Luc Ponty's first 5 solo albums signify tremendous songwriting, outstanding arrangements, virtuoso performances and professional sounding production (remarkable mastering). Music covers jazz, rock and classical...Just wonderful melodies and terrific playing. Great albums by one of fusion's best players. All 5 CD’s are MUST of any jazz-fusion fan's attention. All worth every penny. Highly recommended.
on 30 January 2015
Absolutely fantastic! I've listened to all five albums right through four times already and I'm absolutely addicted. I was trying very hard to concentrate when playing scrabble with the partner the other night and was completely distracted by the violin solo, 'Wandering On The Milky Way' from the album 'Imaginary Voyage' as it reminded me instantly of something Steve Hillage might have conjured up. And later 'The Trans-Love Express ' from Enigmatic Ocean also got me into deep do do as I held up play...I still won the game of scrabble so wasn't too far gone.

This is my first time listening to anything by Jean-Luc Ponty. So glad I bought this great value set of albums. Can't go wrong for the price.
on 9 October 2014
Stunning set of five albums - all great in my opinion. Super value, can't complain on that front. Shame there is no listing of the musicians, but that can easily be found elsewhere these days.

All of the albums come under the 'jazz-fusion in the 70s' banner, with crazy levels of musicianship. The pleasant suprise will come with the amount of melody involved - it's not just a bunch of solos for the sake of it. Even my teenage daughter likes some of the tracks, which is a miracle.
on 30 December 2015
One of the greats, along with Uncle Frank, Allan Holdsworth, George Duke and too many to list. You know who they are.

I wanted a copy of Aurora as my original copy had gotten eaten by the dog. My vynil copy is fine but inconvenient. I couldn't find a release until I happened to see this 'bundle'. Whoa! What a collection at a silly low price for such a musical giant.

Get it, you won't regret it if you have a more mature taste in music.
on 29 July 2013
This is a terrific compilation of the first 5 albums by Jean Luc and at a price like that who could resist it?
on 7 March 2014
I have had Cosmic Messenger on vinyl for a long time, and when I saw this cd set on offer of his first 5 albums for £11 I thought it a bargain, especially as others had recommended the set as well.Having listened to them all now, I can say it is great value and an excellent way to discover Jean Luc Ponty's music if you are not familiar with his jazz/fusion style.The recordings are very good as well.