5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched and your complete guide for your trip away.
Wherever I go, a copy of the rough guide is always by my side and have a small collection now. This book is well researched and contains an excellent guide to Sri Lanka.

Published 23 months ago by Edward

I bought this eBook to read without the weight normally associated with Rough Guides (and, indeed, their Lonely Planet competitors). It was also significantly cheaper as a digital download.

Published 20 months ago by Ralph Bacon

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched and your complete guide for your trip away., 6 Dec 2012

We went for 2 weeks and this is the only thing we needed. As with all the rough guides, it contains an extensive list of attractions, restaurants, hotels in a number of price ranges and a huge amount of history and background. The format and style of easy to follow and contains everything you would want when travelling to Sri Lanka or anywhere that books are available for.

The only travel book you will ever need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the physical book!, 18 Dec 2012
S. Dean "Stew Dean" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rough Guide to Sri Lanka (Rough Guide to...) (Kindle Edition)
The kindle version is good but I'd really recommend you get the physical version as on Kindle it's very fiddly to use. It's okay to read on the plane but if you want to advise as you travel then in this case the physical book is the best way to go. Oh and we nick named the author 'Grumpy Gavin' as he really doesn't like somethings that were really quite good, but otherwise very useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical quality of the Rough Guide series but can be outdated in places, 12 Feb 2013
Ralph Bacon "Aresby" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The detail, depth of information and structure of the book is typical of the Rough Guide series. However, whilst I used to view them as the benchmark of tourist information guides I've become increasingly aware that these days they can get quickly out of date.

As an example that pertains to me, let's consider the train ride from Colombo to Kandy. Whilst the book describes this it doesn't mention that these days you can book a top notch luxurious carriage known as the Expo Rail that leave Colombo every day at 7:00am and arrives in Kandy at 9:30am (well, that's the advertised time, anyway). As this carriage is a fairly recent addition the train services I can understand how it would be missing from a *printed* book, but I had hoped the eBook would be more up-to-date with perhaps some (free) updates available for download now and again.

All in all, I've probably discovered more valuable information for my particular trip to Sri Lanka just by browsing the internet and watching relevant YouTube videos - all of which are up-to-date. The problem is that the Rough Guide covers too much of Sri Lanka so there are countless pages of no relevance to your particular visit. At least I'm not carrying all that superfluous weight!

So whilst this Rough Guide is OK (and, truth be told, better than OK if you want all the minutiae of details) I'm slowly going off this series and finding other, more timely publications.

I intend to read this on the plane flight out though so if I change my opinion I'll update this review in due course.

4.0 out of 5 stars great help for your trip, 3 Aug 2013
I have used this book to support myself during my recent trip to Sri Lanka. All is fine, but some recommendations regarding accommodation and places to eat are a bit dodgy!
You are much better off to make your own mind out at the end of the day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Told me everything I needed, lack of pictures, 12 Feb 2014
Got this based on the reviews and it does give lots of useful info, which helped us to have a great trip in Sri Lanka. I'm a visual person so I would have like more pictures, but I'm also glad it's a convenient size. There are some over vamped sections, hyping places up to drive tourist traffic there - so it's worth doing a bit of research on trip advisor etc as well. I found this with Ella in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best guide., 10 Jan 2014
Excellent guide , much better than lonely planet equivalent . Used it for a 3week tour around most of the major sights this Christmas . Only small quibble is that the prices are now about 20% more than the guide book states for some things. Would definitely recommend .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide Kindle Version Step up from Rough Guide Print, 8 Dec 2013
I own Kindle version of the book which really needs reading on colour tablet. Maybe I'm bias but it was simple to navigate my way through and the prose is acceptable for those whose English is not native to them. This book did exactly what it said on the tin. Well written and although traveled part of the country (a re-visit is due) following the maps in the guide led to the correct destinations. Couldn't fault it. Currency fluctuates therefore when this book went to print the currency had changed. Only fault (contradiction on previous statement) is the photos do not capture Sri Lanka's outstanding natural beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Rough About This Guide, 21 Aug 2013
Every time I go on holiday I take a copy of the Rough Guide with me, you can't buy a better more informed and easy to read guide book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide except for the kindle maps which were too small in print, 13 Aug 2013
An excellent and honest guide.I would not hesitate to buy the rough guide on kindle again. It is preferable to the Lonely Planet guide, which I always find a bit dated . The only problem that we had was with the map sizes. Maybe it is our middle age problem with eyesight but we felt that the maps could have enlarged further.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok, 16 Jun 2014
Every travel book 'is ok'.
This book is informative, gives you ideas, especially for arrival in new places. In my experience there are always cheaper (much!!!) places to stay than the ones mentioned in this book, in most places.
Use this book as an idea but let your spirit guide you.