5.0 out of 5 stars Very bright, decent battery life, rechargable, decent clip, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: RSP Radient dual 12 watt led rear light fully rechargeable via USB connection to PC or Mac. Red (Misc.)
I think that for road cycling in the dark, rear lights are more important than front lights. Although there are some cheaper red LED's knocking around I think it's worth spending a little bit extra for these.

For a start they are much brighter than the average cheapo red LED. They can be recharged using a USB port (cable is provided). They have three settings - static, both lights flashing, alternating left and right light flashing. I tend to have it on the static setting, I think the flashing setting is a bit dazzling - I'm all for being seen by car drivers, but I want them to see me and not be dazzled!

The light comes with two rechargeable AAA batteries. Opening the light to put the batteries in was a bit more difficult than expected. This is due to it being a tight fit. Took a bit of playing around with a 1p coin to sprise the thing open but at least I know that with such a tight fit the seal should be good and the unit should stand up to a bit of bashing around (which it has).

Once in there's no need to remove the batteries. When the light gets low on power (unlike some LED's these lights don't just cut out, they just become gradually dimmer - a good thing if you ask me) it takes probably 4-5 hours to fully recharge. There's a useful little light that changes from red to green to tell you when the unit is fully recharged. Eventually all rechargeable batteries wear out, this shouldn't be a problem with these lights, just buy some replacement rechargeable AAA batteries. It's a standard size so should be pretty straightforward obtaining.

I've had one of these clipped on to my bike riding bumpy off-road tracks and the unit and the clip have stood up well. The clip itself has a sort of mini lever that you twist to tighten the toothed band that goes around your seatpost. You can adjust the angle pretty easily. I had no problem with this arrangement and like I said it seems to have stayed put.

I was so impressed with this light I bought another as a back-up - worthwhile if you ask me because you can forget how much charge is left on your light. If you have another fully charged light with you, just pop it on if the other starts to get low on power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the best of the competition, 20 Feb 2013
Peter Piper - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I really wanted this light to be amazing as I love the USB charging capability of it. Sadly, it is comprehensively outperformed by my existing Smart light. Smart Lunar R1 Rear Light 1 Watt - Red/Grey, (2xAAA batt.inc.) The Smart light is brighter and spreads more light over a wide range.

That said....this IS a very nice rear light. It's not badly priced (though the Smart R1 is much the same price), comes with rechargable batteries and a USB charging cable, and I like that it has two lights. One has a ridged lens with is intended to throw light to the side which it does with reasonable success. The other is a lens for distance and that works fine too. The mounting is good and bad: It allows quick release with gloves and also allowing the light to be rotated 90 degrees which I like, but it is a plastic jubilee clip which comes with a plastic screw "key". What's wrong with a nut and bolt? Yeah it's tool free but so what? You only mount it once! The light unit has a quick-release clip to remove it from the bike mount and it features a belt/loop clip so you can hang it off yourself if you're walking along a dark road at night and don't want to be hit by a car who didn't notice you until it was too late.

The one BIG advantage this light has over the Smart R1 is the on/off button, which is a lovely big button in the middle. It's easy to use with gloves, unlike the poorer Smart button.

The only real problem I've had with this light was getting the back off, which is difficult to say the least. As you only need to do it once, it's not so bad, and does indicate a good seal, but it was surprisingly awkward. Also the button required a double press once, as it didn't operate. This may indicate a poor switch, or may be a one-off. I'll update this if it causes further problems.

I conclusion, don't feel bad about buying this light. It IS a great light and will serve you well. The convenient button and rotating mount deserve particular praise, as does the USB charging ability. I will be putting this on my second bike for sure! But if you want the brightest AAA-powered rear light for your tenner, the Smart R1 reigns supreme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 8 Feb 2013
Andrew Fraser "Andy80F" (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
My bike got stolen which meant replacing the lights lost at the same time. Having been impressed by another 2 x 1/2 watt rear light I bought this one due mainly to its USB recharging feature. I am not disappointed it is a really bright light, might even be on the cusp of being too bright (for any car driver getting too close that is) and has just a couple of modes, steady on, rapid flashing and side to side flashing. The other light I had, a Smart Lunar R2, had more flashing modes but the RSP with fewer but less gimmickry modes needs less button pushing to actually switch on and off. So far the battery is lasting well and looking inside looks as if you could replace the rechargeables with alkaline AAA batteries if needed or you wanted to carry spares.
Though I'd always recommend two back lights perhaps another fitted to the back of your helmet or back-pack this item is an excellent primary rear bike light and easily recommended.

ARRAY(0xacc72ea0)