5.0 out of 5 stars The Memory of Lost Senses
Published 22 months ago by Welsh Annie

3.0 out of 5 stars a slow, absorbing read (three and a half stars)
It is 1911 and the small, quiet village of Bramley is cast into a frenzy of excitement and anticipation at the arrival of an elderly countess, with all eager to meet their esteemed new neighbour; and Cora, the Countess de Chevalier de Saint Leger certainly does not disappoint. She regales all with stories of her rich and colourful life, mostly spent abroad in Rome and...
Published 21 months ago by little bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars The Memory of Lost Senses, 12 May 2013
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I began reading this lovely book on our hottest day of the year so far, sitting in the garden, and it was the perfect setting in which to savour this lovely book. Cora, a countess with a complicated romantic history, who having moved around Europe after a mysterious departure from England in her youth, moves to live in the grand house at Temple Hill in the hot summer of 1911, and is the subject of immense curiosity of her neighbours. Her grandson Jack lives with her, and is the subject of interest to the local young females. Sylvia, her long time friend, joins the household to write Cora's memoirs - should Cora ever engage fully.

This is a story of love, passion and memories - often unreliable - beautifully told with an effortless languorous feel as the history (and drama) unfolds. Others have called it a page turner - I'd disagree on that, but I was quite mesmerised by the wonderful descriptions, particularly of the settings from Cora's past. This is a novel in which to immerse yourself, to reflect on the memories and imaginings, truths and otherwise - a book to feel and experience, with a story that slowly falls into place as you read. Not one for everybody, but I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENTHRALLING, 13 May 2013
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having read Judith Kinghorn's first novel - The Last Summer and absolutely adored it
I could not wait for this - I devoured it and it is a wonderful book equal to if not
surpassing her first novel.

This book made me long for our long hot summers of yesteryear - and the book is so
well written you imagine yourself actually in Temple Hill and in Rome where the book
transports you to with all the art and culture not to mention the expats.

I was drawn into the intrigue of the story within the first few pages and I just had
to keep reading to find out more. Set in Hampshire with Cora as the mysterious
countess who returns to a country that she hoped never to return to - but as come back
to be with her grandson Jack and also to have her memoirs written by her friend Sylvia.
Add to the mix Cecily who is an aspiring writer who is intrigued by Cora and entranced
by Jack and you have a wonderful page turner.

This is a well structured novel that has been so beautifully written it is well worthy of
five stars and I cannot wait for novel number three.

5.0 out of 5 stars The memory of a perfect read..., 19 May 2013
The Memory of Lost Senses is Judith Kinghorn's second published novel but was, in fact, started before The Last Summer (hugely appreciated by this reviewer).

This is an equally compelling narrative set in the Edwardian period. The central character, Cora, is, when we meet her, an old lady forced to return to England to supervise her grandson's university entrance when his mother dies. The offspring of her beloved son, George, Jack is her only surviving relative whom she adores and wants to protect. In the small village where she has a house that was built for her decades previously (although not then lived in) Cora - and Jack - become the centre of attention and speculation.

Known as the Contessa, Cora has led an intriguing and exciting life in Paris and Rome, mixing with high society and admired by all who meet her for her culture and charm. But Cora's past haunts her and her friend and confidante of over 50 years, Sylvia, is a constant and often unwelcome reminder of the love she lost and the marriages she endured... And memory can play so many tricks.

Judith Kinghorn is a master storyteller. Her language is always perfectly pitched to the ebb and flow of revelations, plots and sub-plots. She controls her characters magnificently, bringing them to life with linguistic skills similar to Miss Austen herself.

I loved The Memory of Lost Senses and felt bereft when I'd finished reading it. I sincerely hope it won't be too long before we have another novel from this beguiling author.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping., 18 May 2013
R. Moore "Ros Moore" (Wellingborough England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book keeps you interested from the first to the last page. I thoroughly enjoyed it, it is a novel of a family down to the last grandson and his strange enigmatic grandmother who returns to England to have her life story written by her good friend, who is dying to know just what went on in her youth. And the girl from the village who is half in love with the grandson, who is, as is his grandmother another enigmatic character.
All in all it is a very good yarn, and I whole heartedly recommended it to other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely compelling.............................., 21 Aug. 2013
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Memory of Lost Senses' by Judith Kinghorn is a book that I was really looking forward to reading, after having thoroughly enjoyed 'The Last Summer', her previous work. I should say first of all, that I struggled with the book at first, just couldn't get into it at all, so I left it, and returned to it and started again. It is a complex tale, set across the decades, and has many voices. I found that there were a couple of times when my attention wandered a little, as there were so many stories encompassed in this novel, but it is a book that is strangely compelling, but also a little infuriating I think. I never REALLY got to the bottom of the mystery of Cora's life - there were so many hints and clues, but no actual satisfying conclusion. There is much left unsaid, lots of unanswered questions, and lots of 'what-if's'. Having said all of that, I did enjoy this book very much. It is very moving in parts, telling of unrequited love, tragic love, passion, friendship, and a slow descent into old age, and the confusion which comes from that. I found the slipping back in time, the voices of those no longer there, to be particularly poignant, and the sense of yearning that permeates the book is very strong. For me, this book was something to be savoured, and I am glad that I gave it another chance, as it IS a very absorbing, captivating story. I would say that if, like me, you find yourself unable to absorb the story, take a step back, and start it again. I'm so glad that I did! Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Memory of Lost Senses, 25 May 2013
EssexReader (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I did find this a little slow to get into at first and sometimes found the various husbands and the timeline a little confusing but I'm glad I persevered. The aspects of regrets, circumstance and lost love are much to the fore in this story.

The story begins in 1911 when a mysterious Countess, Countess Cora de Chevalier de Saint Léger returns to the village to live after spending much of her life abroad. Cora has led a colourful expatriate life in Rome and Paris but has returned to England, with some reluctance, to be with her only remaining relative, her young grandson Jack. Jack knows little of his grandmother's life and is keen to know more about his family but is Cora ready to tell him? Jack's friendship with a village girl adds another strand to the story and causes conflict with some of those closest to Cora. For a large part of the story, the reader is teased by hints of a big secret of Cora's which she is keen to keep hidden.

The lines between fact and fiction in Cora's recollections become blurred as Cora becomes increasingly confused and her memories unreliable.

I was most interested in the latter part of the book where it skips forward to 1923. In comparison to parts of the earlier story, this moves along at a pace. This story is very much character driven and although at times it does seem to move very slowly, it is well worth carrying on whilst the back story is being explained. The characters are extremely well written and there is a wonderful sense of place, whether in Rome or in the English countryside. I haven't yet read the author's previous book, The Last Summer but look forward to doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars a love story of different ages..., 2 Aug. 2013
Petra "I love to read" "book addict!!!" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Memory of Lost Senses by Judith Kinghorn for me was another great read by this author. Judith Kinghorn has a gift of bringing the readers into the lives of her characters. The book is based on the lives of Cora a rich old woman who has returned to England accompanied by her grandson Jack. Sylvia a novelist visits to write Cora memoirs and there they meet Cecily a young girl who wants to be a writer and who is totally in awe of Cora and of course the past life she has lived. Cora has had the life Cecily craves which is seeing other countries and being totally in love but sometimes those memories are just not the happiness which Cora wants her audience to believe her life was all about. Cora reminisces while Sylvia tries her best to work out fact from fiction as Cora is well known for her exaggerations.
This book is more than a love story as we follow each of the characters through the hot summer of 1911. I liked each of the characters but I have to say what I loved most was the author's descriptions of Temple Hill where Cora is now residing with Jack and Sylvia. I was totally lost within the pages of this old fashioned tale and one I would recommend to any reader who wants a relaxing read of yester-year.
The Memory of Lost Senses by Judith Kinghorn for me was a great read which I would recommend to anyone who likes a relaxing read yet one which will keep you entertained throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great page turner and family saga, 19 May 2013
sahara "Sarah" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading and enjoying Judith Kinghorn's novel, The Last Summer, I looked forward to her second novel, The Memory of Lost Senses, and I was not disappointed.

The story follows Cora, a Countess, who has returned to England with her last remaining relative, her grandson Jack. Knowing that it will soon be the end of her life she calls on her friend, Sylvia, to write her memoirs. We learn that Cora's life has had so many twists and turns that secrets are left discovered till the last page. Who is Cora? Where did she come from? What are the dark secrets of her past that have led her across the continent to sit out her days in a quiet Hampshire village?

I also really enjoyed the story line which follows Jack and his relationship with Cecily, an inspiring writer who Cora is able to open up to, much to the anger of Sylvia. Their relationship is tested through one of the most horrendous periods of history, World War One, and Kinghorn treats this section with the emotion and respect it requires.

There is so many threads through this book and intriguing stories that it will leave you guessing up until the last page unsure of what is real, what is not. If you do enjoy this novel and haven't read The Last Summer, I recommend you add that to your `to read' list too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pay attention now!, 22 Dec. 2013
I read and enjoyed Judith's first novel, The Last Summer. The Memory of Lost Senses replaces the slightly naive charm of its predecessor with a more in-depth look at relationships, truth, loyalty and self-interest. While this is a more mature approach, with it comes complexity. I own up to being a rather lazy reader of novels; I like the plot to unfold clearly and haul me along with it reasonably easily. I like to 'take sides' and am usually happy to go along with the author's intentions for us. With this book, though, I became confused with the various characters early on - especially the sequence of husbands - and had to check back. Cora seemed difficult to identify with; I had a clear visual image but couldn't interpret her as a person very well. Cecily began as an innocent, but we came to uncertainty about that, and Jack wasn't as full a character as I'd hoped. All this said, and nit-picking done, the story was a complex one which rewarded concentration by the end, and the book itself is a tour de force. I do very much recommend it as a substantial and rather 'literary' read, and am hugely impressed with Judith's ability to create works such as these. I won't be far away when the next book appears!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful read, 23 May 2013
Dixie Jenks "Dixie" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
Judith Kinghorn writes how I would like to dream. This is such a lovely story, sad in parts, but tender and emotional. I felt I was there, and fell in love with the book, the characters and the story. I so look forward to the next one!

The Memory of Lost Senses