5.0 out of 5 stars Instructions for a Heatwave

3.0 out of 5 stars Bemused
Published 18 months ago by M. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Instructions for a Heatwave, 23 July 2013
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Instructions for a Heatwave (Kindle Edition)
This novel is set during the heatwave of 1976, which I remember very well. Oddly enough, I read the book during recent hot weather, and it made the heat feel even more tangible. The novel centres around the Riordan family. Gretta is the matriarch and, whatever the weather, she bakes soda bread three times a week. Her day starts as normal - she bakes and husband Robert leaves at his usual time to buy a newspapr. He doesn't return...

Robert's disappearance leads to Gretta's grown children rallying round to help. There are Michael and Monica, who are both experiencing marital problems, and youngest daughter Aiofe who lives in New York. This is a novel about family and the secrets, allegiances and relationships which are shared between the different members. Maggie O'Farrell presents a realistic portrayal of a large, Irish Catholic family and a wonderfully evocative portrayal of that never ending summer. I have never read anything by O'Farrell before, but I am sure I will devour her backlist, after this stunning book. As well as being an enjoyable personal read, it would have much to offer reading groups, with lots to discuss, and I enjoyed it immensely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bemused, 17 Oct. 2013
M. Brown (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Instructions for a Heatwave (Kindle Edition)
As a rule, Maggie O'Farrell equals quality in my lexicon: I have devoured all of her novels and waited eagerly for the next. Very few contemporary authors have her command of language, in my opinion - she writes lucidly, often poetically, weaving stories of depth and subtlety with unforgettable characters. But, when I finished reading 'Instructions for a Heatwave', I was left scratching my head and asking 'what was that all about?' I've pondered on it for a couple of days now and am none the wiser.

The references to the 1976 heatwave were in no way integral to the development of the story; in fact, as many other reviewers have said, one could assume the events were unfolding in present day - in the unusually warm summer we've just had - rather than the extreme conditions of 1976. I remember that summer well. So the title was a nonsense.

The plot was thin and loosely held together by characters who were, for the most part, unsympathetic and unlikeable. Of course, it's not necessary to people a story with likeable characters but they certainly have to be believable and none of these were. I found I wasn't terribly interested to discover why most of them weren't speaking to each other at different times - none of the dynamics were explored in depth or with any conviction. In the end, I just hoped they wouldn't find Robert, the father who upped and left with no explanation, for his sake, poor beggar. Very little in the way of satisfactory explication so far as the main thrust of the plot is concerned - the husband/father who walks out without a word to anyone. Odd.

And then, when the novels finishes, an explanation from the author herself about why she wrote the novel. "I didn't intend to write this book. It happened by accident." You don't say. Followed by some black and white photos of Omey Island. Why? Surely the story should be able to stand on its own legs, without props of this kind, from a writer of O'Farrell's calibre? This only confirms to me that she was uneasy about this latest novel - that it required some qualification.

Having said all of that, I must concede that the writing itself had all the O'Farrell hallmarks, her wonderful acuity for evoking language imbued with images and shadows. This earns three stars from me but, sadly, wasn't enough to lift the story out of the doldrums.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 7 April 2014
When Instructions for a Heatwave appeared on my book club’s reading long list, I made sure it got shortlisted. O’Farrell had won the Costa Novel award in 2010 with The Hand that First Held Mine and the blurb for Instructions appealed to me: it’s set in July 1976 and although I was only nine at the time I have a clear memory of the heat wave of the title that gripped Britain that year. So: a prize winning author; a nostalgic setting – what’s not to like?

Plenty, as it turns out. For a start there is no real sense of drought. It takes more than mentioning aphids, a standpipe and feeling hot, to really get under the skin of life without water on tap. Reproducing sections of the Drought Act 1976 to mark the different sections of the book only serves to underline how little of the ‘heatwave’ finds its way into the narrative.

If O’Farrell only pays lip-service to the setting, then the characters are likewise superficially drawn. Take one garrulous Irish matriarch “Mammy”, add an absent “Daddy”; throw in a handful of children simultaneously experiencing life crises; season with an Irish name, Catholic references and a dash of sexual hypocrisy – and make sure lots of characters’ points of view bubble to the surface, preferably multiple times within the same chapter!

Harsh? Perhaps. It is, I suppose, a pleasant enough read, if that’s what you want but I wanted – and expected – much, much more, principally because of O’Farrell’s “Costa winner” moniker.

Lies, damned lies, and book awards....

[I might still try The Hand that First Held Mine one day, if only to satisfy my curiosity!]

For more reviews visit whatcathyread.wordpress.com

2.0 out of 5 stars I Just didn't get it, the heatwave seemed irrelevant and the family tedious, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Instructions for a Heatwave (Kindle Edition)
Having loved After You'd Gone and really enjoying subsequent novels from Maggie O'Farrell, I was looking forward to this read and was happy to recommend it to the book group as a likely entertaining experience.
I found it impossible to warm to. The heatwave backdrop of the title appeared to add nothing to the plot. The family was tiresome and I felt the whole thing was contrived and slow. I felt I completed reading the book just to get to the end to see if anything interesting actually happened. The characters' names kept leaping out and annoying me before I actually got to them, almost as if I was dreading what they might do or say next. The story of the missing father was unsatisfying and I simply couldn't understand how the reading problem could be missed by everyone who had come into Aiofe's life. I felt little empathy for anyone except Aiofe and overall, for me, the whole story just did not add up to anything. It was a bit like looking forward to a dinner out with good old friends and finding the company boring and the food indifferent. I was hoping for lyrical prose and stunning metaphors, but when such expressions arose they felt clumsy and inappropriate; perhaps it was all there but impossible to focus on due to my growing disinterest as I progressed through the book. Sorry to report that this novel just did not work for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful writing, but disappointing story, 4 Nov. 2013
I'm a bit divided in my feelings about this novel, as O'Farrell's writing is evocative and enchanting (even though several 'him' and 'her' where it should read 'he' and 'she' were a bit distracting). Her character development is excellent and the intricacies of the relationships are detailed and believable. Sadly, the story itself is lacking. Halfway through the novel I found myself wondering if anything was going to happen, and by the end I realised that it hadn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read, 4 Dec. 2013
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Instructions For A Heatwave is the sixth novel by British author, Maggie O'Farrell. On a July Thursday at the height of Britain's 1976 heatwave, Robert Riordan goes out as usual for the morning paper but doesn't return. When no trace of him can be found, his wife, Gretta calls her daughter in Gloucester, Monica, who is having a drama of her own. Eventually, Gretta's son, Michael Francis manages to contact his younger sister, Aoife in New York, and the siblings come together at their family home to decide what is to be done. It is a gathering filled with tensions, as Aoife and Monica have been estranged for years. Not only that, but undercurrents flow as each character is dealing with shameful secrets of their own. While this could make for heavy going, the dialogue between the characters, the family dynamics and some moments of delicious irony provide a comic relief that lifts the story. As O'Farrell skilfully builds her story, the various mysteries, some from more than thirty years ago, unfold over four days. Abortion, dyslexia, divorce, betrayal, adultery, draft dodging, a dead cat, an Irish convent and a deep abiding love all feature. O'Farrell's characters are interesting and complex; they are larger than life and so very real. Her prose is a joy to experience: the feel of the heatwave is expertly conveyed and the descriptions are wonderfully evocative. "And then, it seemed to Monica, the baby opened her mouth and started to scream and that she did not stop screaming for a long time. ......She screamed if laid flat, even for a moment.......her legs would work up and down, as if she was a toy with a winding mechanism, her face would crumple in on itself and the room would fill with jagged sounds that could have cut you, if you'd stood too close." and "She cannot read. She cannot do that thing that other people find so artlessly easy: to see arrangements of inked shapes on a page and alchemise them into meaning." are just two examples. A brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars ignore these bad reviews, 24 Nov. 2013
I cannot understand these negative reviews. I thought this book was the best Maggie O`Farrell I have read to date. It is never "boring" or "turgid". On the contrary, there is so much to keep the reader interested, so many characters to explore. She is particularly good at the relationship between parents and their adult offspring, as well as the relationship between adult siblings. She dips back into the past to show how these relationships have formed whilst keeping the main plot, set in the drought of 1976, moving forward in a short space of "real" time. I cannot see that there are any threads left untied or abandoned. At the end of the novel there have been significant changes and realisations, particularly amongst the siblings. Problems have been confronted and there is a sense that things may improve after the reverse diaspora of the journey back to Ireland. A masterly final sentence or two. Splendid novel Don`t be put off reading it by these other superficial comments.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great, 28 Jun. 2013
This book landed on my desk when a colleague, who is a great fan of the author, suggested I read it. At first I found it hard to get used to the style of writing, but im glad I persevered as the book was interesting, and some of the characters were very descriptive and well developed. However, I found the plot to be quite plodding, and although I read it pretty quickly, I wasn't left amazed or satisfied with the ending, which was a bit of an 'oh, ok then' moment. The heatwave, as other reviewers have said, does seem like a bit of an afterthough and doesn't tie in with anything thats happening, but it does set the scene, and you can imagine people sweating through London heatwaves in the 70s from the description. I'm reading Esme Lennox (same author) now, and I'm hoping this one will do a bit more for me!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Insomniacs - don't waste your time..., 16 Nov. 2014
Trolldoll (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
I had high hopes for this book after its interesting start. However, after the initial chapter, it never does actually get started. In fact, for two thirds of the book I found myself waiting for something significant to happen. The characters are marginally interesting although leave you with many unanswered questions. The title of the book and indeed the heatwave, are completely irrelevant to the story and I wonder why such a title was chosen, an after thought I suspect. Had this book been written by someone less famous, I think it would have ended up in the bin, which is where I should have put it after four or five chapters of it going nowhere. When I reached the end of the book, I found myself at the 'acknowledgements page' without actually realising that the story was over! A huge disappointment. Shouldn't have wasted the time in continuing to the end - the ending is just as big a let down as the rest of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Strange Weather Brings Out Strange Behaviour', 28 Feb. 2013
Susie B - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Maggie O'Farrell's eagerly anticipated latest novel 'Instructions for a Heatwave' is a very readable and entertaining story that pulls the reader in from the very first pages. Set in London, during the heatwave of 1976, we meet Gretta Riordan, a Catholic Irish woman, mother to three grown-up children, and her husband, Robert, a retired bank employee. As yet another hot and listless day begins, Robert goes out for his daily newspaper, just as he does every morning - however, today, he doesn't return home. As the day wears on, Gretta becomes more and more worried and, when it is discovered that Robert has taken money and his passport, she realizes that her husband had no intention of returning home when he left their house that morning.

Gretta now has to tell her three children that Robert has disappeared; firstly there is her eldest child, Michael Francis, a teacher, married to Claire and whose marriage is in difficulty; then there is Monica, the middle child, whose first marriage broke up after a tragic event and is now married to antiques dealer, Peter, and living in the countryside; however, Monica is not entirely happy - she not only misses London, but Peter's two daughters bitterly resent her and make her life very difficult. And finally there is Gretta and Robert's younger daughter, Aoife, their 'problem' child, whose difficult and challenging behaviour has caused problems for the rest of the family, especially since she has "gone off the rails". (When, in fact, most of Aoife's problems are due to her painful battle with undiagnosed dyslexia). After a terrible misunderstanding with Monica, the cause of which is gradually revealed to the reader, Aoife has left London and has been working in New York, desperately trying to conceal from her lover and her employer, the fact that she cannot read. As all three of Gretta's children congregate to try to establish why their father has disappeared, the heat rises in more ways than one, and when family skeletons begin to emerge from the closet, things begin to get rather messy and claustrophobic in the Riorden family. But what has really happened to Robert? And does Gretta know more about Robert's problems than she is prepared to reveal to others? (No spoilers).

Moving from London, to New York and to Ireland, this is a beautifully written story and a very perceptive observation of the internal dynamics of family relationships; of how we try to conceal things and about the lies we tell to ourselves and others. Throughout her story Maggie O'Farrell cleverly reveals layer after layer of secrets and misconceptions making this story both a compelling and intelligent read. However, perceptive as Maggie O'Farrell may be in her observations, her story would not work as well as it does without effective characterisations - and Gretta is a rather amazing creation in more ways than one: religious, loving and maternal, yet loud, boisterous, impulsive and critical; and, to her children, she is sometimes embarrassing with her tent-sized, flower-splotched, home-made dresses and her raincoat held together with staples. Aoife is another character who really shines and Maggie O'Farrell's description of Aoife's dyslexic difficulties and of the desperate strategies she has to employ to conceal these difficulties is powerfully and sensitively conveyed to the reader. I could write a lot more about what I enjoyed about this story - but I won't, because I hope by now that you will want to read this warm and involving novel for yourself. Recommended.

4.5 Stars.