4.0 out of 5 stars Another good installment in the Delaware series
I received a copy of this book from the publishers as part of this blog tour but had already read it previously. My review is my honest opinion of the book.

Published 13 months ago by Janet Emson

3.0 out of 5 stars A comfortable read
3.5/5
Guilt is the 28th (!) entry in Jonathan Kellerman's long running Dr. Alex Delaware series. I've been following this series for many years, but the last few books have fallen short for me. But, old habits are hard to break, so I was willing to see what was in store with this latest offering.

Alex is a psychologist who consults with the LAPD -...
Published on 12 Feb. 2013 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars A comfortable read, 12 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Guilt (Alex Delaware) (Hardcover)
3.5/5

Alex is a psychologist who consults with the LAPD - specifically with Homicide Detective Milo Sturgis. "Most homicides are mundane and on the way to clearance within a day or two. Milo sometimes calls me on 'the interesting ones.'" Milo is an outsider within the ranks, but he has one of the highest clearance ranks in the department. Together this pair make an interesting investigative duo, with each bringing different strengths and outlooks to the cases.

In Guilt, a new homeowner discovers a metal box buried in the backyard. But, the contents are unexpected - they're the bones of a baby. The remains are determined to be sixty years old, but of course must be investigated. Then a young woman is found dead in a nearby park with another set of infant bones close by - and this time they're more recent.

Kellerman lets us follow along as Alex and Milo scour the past and pursue the present in search of answers. Alex takes the lead role in Guilt, striking out on his own many times, using his own connections and pursuing threads he believes will lead to answers. I did find sone leaps to leads rather circumstantial and a bit hard to buy, and the title appears to have been drawn from a note that is never fully explained.

Kellerman is a psychologist himself and the character of Alex is especially well developed because of this background. His conversations and mannerisms ring true. In Guilt, Alex practices more counselling than he has in the last few outings. Milo still remains my favourite character, but he takes more a backseat in Guilt. Blanche the bulldog does seem to steal a lot of scenes as well.

Reading the latest Jonathan Kellerman is like slipping on a favourite pair of slippers - they're comfortable and you know how they'll fit. Guilt was a good read to keep me entertained on a recent train trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good installment in the Delaware series, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Guilt (Alex Delaware) (Paperback)

I have to start out by saying I'm a huge fan of Jonathan Kellerman and his Alex Delaware novels. I've read all of his books including the stand alone novels and have his new novel Killer on my to read list. I love to be welcomed back to the world of Alex, Milo and co and look forward to a new book with relish.

Guilt has the components of any Alex Delaware novel, a gruesome murder, intrigue and evil. The story opens with the discovery of the bones of an infant in the garden of a large house in a prosperous district. Alex is called to help Milo investigate. Further remains are found a short time after, but these remains are more recent. Soon Alex and Milo are on the hunt for the monster who has committed the crimes.

There are the usual twists and turns with this novel, Alex stumbling upon clues and coming across information that leads him to heartbreak from the past and introduces him to the strange world of a Hollywood superstar couple.

This book is what I've come to expect from a Delaware mystery. Alex works closely with his friend Milo aided by his long term girlfriend, Robin. Jonathan Kellerman's style of staccato speech for Alex is evident in Guilt, and seems to be becoming more of a trait.

You don't have to read the other Delaware novels before this one as each can be read as a stand alone novel. The back story of Alex and his girlfriend Robin, and his developed relationship with Milo that is created in the previous books is explained at some point in each subsequent novel.

I enjoyed Guilt in the same way I always enjoy a Jonathan Kellerman novel and I look forward to reading the latest installment, Killer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, Jonathan Kellerman, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Guilt: Alex Delaware 28 (Kindle Edition)
Jonathan Kellerman is back on form! I didn't like his previous book, Victims, and didn't finish it - a first for his books. I like the occasional cross over of a character from his wife, Faye Kellerman's, Decker/Lazarus books. Long may they last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Guilt: Alex Delaware 28 (Kindle Edition)
Gripping from start to finish, a powerful story with many twists and turns. I was drawn in and was surprised by the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars As usual great, 15 Feb. 2013
Y. Gillespie "ymg666" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guilt: Alex Delaware 28 (Kindle Edition)
Another fantastic read with Alex and Milo. Great story. And perhaps a gentler storyline than other books but certainly no less compelling

4.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Delaware Delicately Detects Deadly Deceit, 10 Mar. 2013
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
"When Elisha came into the house, there was the child, lying dead on his bed." -- 2 Kings 4:32 (NKJV)

A dead child arouses our emotions in ways that are hard to control. Guilt starts with finding a baby's remains, an event that ties into a string of events that only a highly imaginative writer might have connected in a reasonably effective way. I found the plot in Guilt to be one of the more surprising and interesting ones (up until quite near the end) that I have read in some time. It was a real roller coaster ride for me.

The detection shifts in Guilt to Alex Delaware taking on the unaccustomed role of playing detective in the ways that the police normally do, but with a psychologist's flair. I found the change to be interesting and more than mildly amusing. It was a much better side of Alex Delaware than having him drive around with Milo Sturgis and report on his eating, a common role until the last two books in the series.

I felt that the ultimate crime and story stretched a bit too far to be credible. Consequently, at the end I felt as if I were reading the answer to a brain-teaser rather than feeling fully pulled into the story. But it's definitely a stylish, if gross, brain-teaser.

In the book's first half you'll find some marvelous plot elements and elegant developments of the story line. Enjoy them!

1.0 out of 5 stars Guilt, 26 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Guilt: Alex Delaware 28 (Kindle Edition)
Disappointing. He could have told the story in 5 chapters and it wasn't much of a thriller. I found it hard work to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 7 Mar. 2013
GBh (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guilt: Alex Delaware 28 (Kindle Edition)
Excellent read. Kept me guessing and had to read it quickly because it was totally engrossing. Kellerman at his best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but took me a while to get into it., 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Guilt: Alex Delaware 28 (Kindle Edition)
Normally when I am reading a kellerman book I'm enticed by Alex and Milo in the first few pages this time it took me a lot longer. The story line was good but not as exciting as previous books. Maybe it's just me and my love for action. I'm not sure i will leave you to make your own decision. Though in complete a Jonathan Kellerman book is always worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gleefully Guilt(y), 24 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Guilt: Alex Delaware 28 (Kindle Edition)
Another fine read by virtue of the excellent dialogue. Mr Kellerman really has a refined ear. Sturgis and Delaware are unbeatable. And the excellent and moody back stories are always relevant. But I felt that although this is a very smart and intriguing story Mr Kellerman loses the thread a little. **SPOILER ALERT** Perhaps the movie star couple could have entered the tale a little earlier. More explanation could have been given for the movie star's motives. I see where he's coming from, babies, family life, abortion. But you have to concentrate on that to appreciate the story. Sometimes you spend more time on trying to solve the mystery than on understanding the deeper issues the author is trying to present. Looking at it that way then this is a fine thriller.

Guilt: Alex Delaware 28