Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 30 March 2015
I don't write many music reviews, nor do I put a huge amount of faith in them because if you like a piece of music enough to review it you will give it five stars, if you don't like it you'll give it one star so the reviews are more a barometer of how popular a piece of music is within its genre. Something I've never worried about.

Which is why I'm reviewing this because a previous review, that I did actually read, on Amazon put me off purchasing this, and now I'm angry because I could've been listening to this sooner! So this only reinforces my view that you shouldn't read reviews.

But if you're still here and you want to know about the music, there's something quite stunning about this one. It's quite wonderfully rich, trippy electro-jazz with some monster bass beats and quite eery distant violins. Sounds impossible? It's not. Great fun.
on 8 December 2014
I bought this CD about a year ago, played it once, mentally thought 'disappointing' and filed it. Then, six weeks ago, while searching my shelves, I dug it out again. And WOW! What a brilliantly moving, intelligent and beautiful album. From start to finish you're taken on a journey, a trippy, emotional and...dare I say it, almost spiritual, journey, Yeah, it is 'cinematic' but it's also many other things too. Think of a jazzy instrumental Bonobo, some of Kid Loco's better stuff, ditto the Portico's, but these guys bring something new and undefinable to the genre, making it sound fresh and new. And just to think that I almost wrote it off, and probably have flogged it on Ebay it just to shift it. Can't recommend it enough.
on 28 November 2013
An album that contains music classified loosely as electronic jazz, which in my opinion is a fairly accurate tag. Beautifully composed pieces, some idyllic, others a bit heavy, but every single one leaving a positive impression. Highly recommended, also for a live gig!
on 9 December 2012
"Struggling with a second album!", I think the listener is struggling with their expectations. This is a much deeper and more intricate album. It is absolutely stunning and pushes the ideas and aural pleasure of the first album into new worlds. Each track is incredible and really has the ability to transport you into strange imaginary lands where you want to stay, live and explore. THANKYOU FOR CREATING THIS!!!! Now I just want to see them live.
on 30 June 2013
I think this is an excellent album. I was, however, so struck by the depths of Night Walks, that this follow-up doesn't quite match up. As some have said, it is something of a 'slow burn' in terms of getting acquainted, and without doubt it is very highly textured and complex. This is, without doubt, a remarkable album, and if one had nothing to compare it with, I guess five stars would be much, much fairer. I think it lacks the strong melodic themes of he first album, and whilst the mood, ambience and technique are all superlative, I do like a good tune I can whistle along to.

Having said that, Archipelago is growing on me all the time, so it is quite possible that I will be back to update this review.
on 8 May 2015
item as described
arrived before expected time
at a good price too
on 14 November 2014
One of my favorite albums.
on 25 October 2012
Not as innovative or as interesting as 'Nightwalks', but still a good listen. Struggling with the 'difficult second album' issue, I suppose. Still very much worth buying, though.
on 12 May 2016