5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
I've had mine just over a week now and I have to say I'm impressed with it so far. I've been using my Sky HD box for Freesat since canceling my Sky subscription a couple of months back but obviously haven't been able to record, pause or rewind! This Humax box allows me to do that as well as a few other features which are new to the next generation of Freesat boxes...
Published 20 months ago by Mr. S. Mcgrath

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as flexible as it should be
Published 20 months ago by K. Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Dec 2012

The EPG is visually very pleasant and is similar to the SKY HD box in layout although it simply lists what's on now and next rather than showing you further in to the future. To view programs occuring later in the day you have to scroll across. To view channel types you press the List button on the remote which then gives you the common options such as Movies and Entertainment. If you select BBC1 or ITV on the EPG you can press back on the remote control and view programs available via the catch up services. This is a really useful feature although it will improve later in the year when the Channel 4 and Channel 5 demand services are added. There are also rumours Netflix will be added which would be a welcome bonus. The box also has a few nice little features like offering you the option of watching a program in HD (if available) if you select the program on one of the standard definition channels. One thing I would note is the EPG shows the channel logos rather than listed the channel name so this may make it hard to identify the channels if you're using a small TV.

Other menu options include a Showcase section which highlights popular programs available on catch-up and showing that week. There is also a Humax section which has a Wikipedia style app as well as a couple of others. The Catch-Up TV option just has iPlayer and ITV's catch up service at the moment but displays the Channel4 and 5 options with a 'coming soon' banner. I've watched quite a few programs on iPlayer which have streamed without problem in full HD. It tends to stutter for the first couple of seconds and then runs without any issues. My Internet connection is around 10Mbps.

So far I've not had any teething problems, the EPG is responsive although the box does takes a little time to boot up and you get a Humax/Freetime splash screen while it's starting. It's not excessive (20 seconds or so) but it's not instant. The remote control is long and thin so takes some getting used to but after a while becomes second nature.

Overall I'm very happy with the box. I was a little apprehensive given the cost but as there are no monthly subscription costs it represents good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant alternative to SKY, 25 Jan 2013
The savings of years Sky Subscription more than covers the cost of this box. I now have a great range of programmes and have no monthly subscription.

INSTALLATON
There was a Sky Dish present when we moved in and we have had a Sky + SD package for over 2 years now and very rarely have we lost signal. In my mind that meant the Dish worked correctly and was aligned properly although there are loads of mobile apps that assist you in realigning your dish. Obviously installing and aligning a dish requires more expense, work and tools - notably a ladder

I unplugged the Sky box and plugged in the FreeSat box
- Sat Input #1
- Sat Input #2
- HDMI cable to the telly
- Ethernet cable to the router
- Power cable

The sat inputs are a little fiddly and you have to be very careful with the centre wire on the connector but apart from that it was one of the easiest set ups I have done.

TUNING
Set the TV input to accept HDMI #1. Turn on the freeSat box via the remote. A wizard starts automatically and takes you through about 5 steps
- Checks signal strength and quality (We have around 80% and 90% respectively which reinforces my confidence in the dish alignment)
- Tells you how many television and radio channels you have tuned (90+ and 30+ respectively)
- Enter your Postcode (for local content)
- Set a PIN for parental control

PICTURE QUALITY
A marked improvement from using a SD Sky box via a SCART cable. The HDMI cable (provided) really is so much better and we are now getting the full use of our Full HD telly.

REMOTE CONTROL
- The buttons are a reasonable size
- The Home button allows you to access anything you need to.
- There is a single button to access recordings.
- There is a List button that you can use when in the EPG to list channels by type. This is useful as there are so many channels!

SEARCH
Because there are over 90 programmes the search feature is something I am really grateful for. I have found it really easy to use.

USER INTERFACE
I have not seen the Sky+ HD interface but I would guess that the Humax FreeSat HD+ is as good or if not better.

You have and 8 day schedule and can scroll back in time (only if those channels have on demand content). The Channel Icons are listed in the TV guise are listed which is quite snazzy but you would not want a smaller screen telly as this would be difficult to read. We have a modest 32 inch screen.

You can choose a programme in the guide and use the i button to get a quick synopsis or use the 'About' option in the interface to get a fuller description.

There is a Showcase feature that shows recommendations for the current day and also 'D0n't Miss' programmes. I find this quite useful as I don't buy TV guides or the Radio Times.

When you find a programme you want to record you are given the choice to record in HD (if available) or SD and also the choice to record the 1 programme or the series.

All other features that we are used to with Sky+ are present

ON DEMAND
This was quite easy to access but it does take a few seconds to load. Also you cannot fast forward /rewind with any ease, it tends to jump in 10 min chunks. Also because this is accessed via a Channel you cannot use if 2 recordings are taking place at the same time.

RECORDING CAPACITY
When you first enter the recordings section you can see that 10% of the space has already been used. I can only guess that this is 'reserved' for such features as pause/ rewind live TV, also you can begin a recoding at any stage of the programme and it will record from the beginning as long as the freesat box was not powered off or in standy when the programme started. With this in mind I am glad we went for the 1TB over the 500GB box. If both boxes 'reserve' 10% of recording capacity then that leaves you with 900GB or 450GB on the respective boxes.

INSTRUCTION MANUALS
There is a quick start guide which covers the physical setup.

The main instruction manual covers using the EPG; recording, parental controls etc and are very comprehensive.

There is also on screen help which covers many topics.

Some reviews have been negative regarding the instructions but these were adequate for replacing a Sky box. They do not and would not cover dish installation etc.

SOFTWARE UPDATES
This is really easy to do via the remote control. Just ensure you have an internet connection.

CONS
I have read reviews that list some cons
- Recordings having the end chopped off
- Series links disappearing

I have looked at numerous recordings and I have found that there is around 4 mins extra at the beginning and end of programmes from channels with advertisements. The BBC recordings (no adverts) only have around 1 min extra at the start and end of programmes but none have been cut-off prematurely.

There does not appear to be any option to change the amount of 'buffer' but as already stated I have found no need to do this.

I have not observed series link disappearing and I can see that I have recorded many programme over the 2 weeks that I have been operating this and the series link information is still present.

I have found a couple of Cons that I have not seen on other reviews.

Con #1 When 2 recordings are in progress you cannot change channels but there is no message to state this. This is normal functionality for a dual tuner setup but with Sky you got a pop up message on the screen. You can check if 2 recordings are taking place via
Remote Control > Recordings
My Recordings Menu > Most Recent

Also iPlayer is accessed via a Channel in the EPG (even though it's via the internet) so you cannot use this while 2 recordings are taking place.

You can watch a recorded item at the same time as 2 recordings are taking place.

Con #2. There is no light on the front of the box to indicate a recoding is taking place and you cannot tell if it is recording a programme unless you go into the recordings menu.

There is an upside to this. My 1 year old would always try to touch or whack the Recording / playback lights on the front of the sky box. So far he has shown no interest whatsoever in the Humax box.

If you power off the box while a recording is in progress or during playback of a recording then you will damage the HDD. I would recommend that as a precaution that this box is not powered down without checking that recordings are taking place.

Remote Control > Recordings
My Recordings Menu > Most Recent
Look at the top the list and check for a symbol that is a red circle with a white 'R' in it. If a programme has this symbol then the box is recoding and should not be powered off.

Another confusing aspect of this is that planned recordings have the same icon as currently recoding which could cause some confusion with less diligent users.

There are some channels that are not on FreeSat but as we have freeview built in to our telly we can still watch them but not record them.
- Dave
- Yesterday
- UK Gold
- Viva
- Dave ja vue

Free Sat Does has Pick TV which looks very much like Sky One.

All in all a great purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally this seems to be the business, 5 Jan 2013
T. I. Waldron (Lincolnshire UK) - See all my reviews
Just got this after having a diabolical Goodmans freesat HD pvr for the last year, and having tesco Technika freeview TVs with their poor EPG's that are hard to read. This box is the business - lovely sleek looking unit, pin sharp picture, very nice electronic programme guide (EPG), which is well integrated with available on-demand content.
I've read the youview box versus freetime box comparisons and though the on-demand content is limited, that's not a huge issue for me - I'm not bothered about having Netflix and sky channels. I left sky for freesat HD because I didn't want to be paying big subscriptions for watching TV, when (as I suspect a majority of people do), I come home from work and wind up watching master chef of grand designs or midsomer murders and the news most of the time anyway. I just wanted a reliable hd box with good picture, recording facilities and iplayer and other free catchup services. This seems to be it (I've only had it a few days), and I'd recommend it to you. My previous Sky+ box was a tempremental crashy one, and as I said, my most recent freesat PVR, the Goodmans HD recorder was very poor too. Freesat finally have their act together with this box, and I hope it sells well. 285 price tag would mean it's paid for itself after less than a year when you compare to a basic sky+ package. Very pleased to finally have a pleasant living room HD TV experience. Hope this is helpful

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to set up, 26 Jan 2013
Have had Sky for years now along with Sky Plus and HD. This box was very easy to set up, just swap over four wires and that's it. It then goes through a very easy set up menu.
I do miss some of the Sky channels but at 400 a year savings (once I've paid for the box) I can cope!
No problems so far but it's not quite as easy to use as Sky Plus, except that the search facility is a bit better.

The colours all seemed to be too bright and contrasty so I've had to readjust the TV from the Sky box settings. I think others had had the same issue which may be a Sky feature rather than Humax. The image quality should be the same, as it's digital, but some of the standard definition channels don't look quite as good as before. Is this the upscaling feature?

Our broadband is incredibly slow so I haven't bothered purchasing the dongle or trying to run a wire to the router, I can confirm that it works absolutely fine without the internet connection, except of course that you can't watch the iplayer catch up services.

It's worth updating the software as soon as you've installed it, most boxes are shipped with software from a few weeks ago. I didn't see any difference but I think there were some bugs in the original version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb !! Well worth it., 9 April 2014
This review is from: Humax HDR-1000S 1TB Freesat Freetime Receiver (Requires Satellite Dish) (Electronics)
18 months ago I dumped Sky+HD and moved to a Freesat Echostar twin tuner 500gb recorder. I got it in Maplins for 150 at a time when this Humax recorder was 299 with software issues.

18 months down the line I got fed up with the horrible remote and front end on the Echostar. It has not missed a beat and recorded faultlessly but it was time to change now software glitches seem to have been dealt with on the Humax and the price had dropped to 225. The Echostar saved me 400 vs Sky after you remove the cost of the unit so has done well !!

Having bought this unit with the experience of another Freesat unit which I enjoyed all I can say is wow ! It is better looking as a unit than the Echostar (not difficult) but the remote is in a different league. Some complain it clicks and feels cheap. Well, many remotes feel cheap but I don't feel this is one. Buttons are clear and the remote is a decent size and well laid out.
The picture from this Humax recorder seems of a far better quality than the Echostar and that wasn't bad at all !
It seems generally to produce better SD images than Sky did and definitely better than the Echostar.
Startup time is good despite what some have said. The Echostar on eco mode takes about 30 seconds to boot up - this takes in the region of 10-15 so I rate that good.
The EPG / front end is brilliant and just as good as Sky+
I would thoroughly recommend this unit to anyone wanting to junk Sky ! We have been Sky free for 18 months and don't miss it at all. You lose some channels like Sky1 and Sky Atlantic but if, like us, you aren't into Sky Sports then the cost saving vs how much I really watched those channels made it a no brainer to get rid of Sky.
I can't fault the unit or what it gives. Save money and get rid of Sky - in a few months the unit will have paid for itself !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as flexible as it should be, 8 Dec 2012
First the positive. This machine offers a fantastic picture and is really easy to use. IPlayer and ITV Player are also worth having and hopefully 4OD will follow soon. Most of the time you are going to love it, as I do. However, in making the machine almost idiot-proof, there does not appear to be a means to manually extend recording times. The man who installed my machine said that the software is so good you don't need it because the beginnings and ends of programmes are never chopped off. WRONG! So far it has happened every week on the new series of Homeland on Channel 4, a programme that generally ends on a cliffhanger that we don't get to see. The manual and website is useless when trying to resolve this and Humax are one of those organisations that want to charge you money for basic customer support (the exception being an invitation to contact them via Twitter - what's wrong with e-mail, for goodness' sake? Presumably the fact that it allows you enough characters to make a real complaint). Anyway my point is that any PVR should have an option to extend recording times.

Freesat is good but bear in mind that Freeview fans will not be able to record channels like Yesterday and Pick TV using this machine which I don't really mind. However, it is probably only a matter of time before someone puts out a machine with both a Freeview and a Freesat tuner for optimum none-pay-per-view choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dead easy. Lightweight plastic box of good quality and visual ..., 21 July 2014
LWN "Alibongo" (Weston super Mare, UK.) - See all my reviews
Have owned this model for a few months as I write.

Had tried a 'Manhattan' freesat model previously; suffice it to say it was a disaster and was returned; it wasn't even compatible with a Toshiba TV (not stated pre sale) and the remote control was much too small and fiddly.

Humax:
Virtually sets itself up out of the box. Dead easy. Lightweight plastic box of good quality and visual appearance.

I have 210 channels inc' radio. Many channels are repeated e.g. you get every BBC regional channel; I think around 21. Choice anyway. 3, or 4 movies channels, old series like; Little House on Prairie, Waltons, Alias Smith and Jones, and so on. You have the option to scan for 'non freesat channels', but I doubt that you could watch them as they are probably on Sky subscription? I have not bothered 210 is enough.

Boot up time is quite long; I suppose it needs the time to sort itself out; again acceptable and not really a problem.

The remote control is a treat; it's a good working size, well made, large buttons well spaced. Excellent.

Picture quality is exceptional; the nub of the issue I guess; the epg/other interfaces are attractive and have different colour combinations for the various menus and options. Plenty of HD channels. (HDMI cable supplied)

Recording programmes is easy and can be done from various locations; the search for programmes to record facility is predictive which I find really good; e.g. put say 'the' in search box and all the programme titles with 'the' in will come up; (anywhere in title) so it you are not too sure of a programme title and can think of maybe a word, that's in said title, the machine will pick up the hint and probably find it for you.

If you plug into the internet (cable supplied) you have all the on demand channels and Youtube.

Not 5 stars?
EPG/menus print and information text is too small for my liking. The older Humax Freeview boxes interfaces are brilliant, clear large and attractive; I just wish my new Freesat was the same. Having said above it is OK, manageable and is perhaps a bit picky.

Not perfect, but the best of the bunch as things stand right now; worth the extra money as opposed to some other models; I figure it's no point in bothering with any of the other makes. 1TB memory, for the money, is really good.

Shorter boot up, larger menu and information print (see older freeview boxes) and it would be a 5* machine. Humax have nearly got it right.

Very pleased thus far. Recommended model. Bought mine phisically from 'Richer Sounds' in Bristol.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I brought it twice, 25 Feb 2014
G. Cooper "Big Farang" (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I was a little apprehensive about moving from Sky+HD to freesat. The general consensus of Sky is that it is very good, but expensive. While I could afford Sky, I still want value for money. And paying Sky to watch a few programs filled with adverts just didn't add up.

So I brought my first Humax box to try it out. The Amazon reviews contained many 1 star reviews, which worried me. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try for a few days, if I didn't like it, the box would be returned and I'd continue with Sky.

I was so happy with my Humax freesat, that after 4 days I brought another one for the bedroom and cancelled Sky.

Most of the 1 star reviews I read were a year or so old, and it looks like Humax have taken that year to get rid of most of the complaints. There is no noisy clicking noises that were often complained about, no freezing, it is quick, I get on-demand from BBC,ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5, and the User Interface is nice and quick and intuitive. I can't comment about customer service or long term reliability, but in the past Amazon have been really helpful with problems with other devices.

Installation was really easy. I unplugged the cables from my Sky box and plugged them back into my Humax box, turned it on, answered the one-off questions during installation, and that was that. Almost. A word of advice -- always do a check for new software. Despite the Humax boxes being new, the software was old and I upgrade from version 1.00.59 to 2.00.40 (or something like that), a major release, and this changed the UI considerably for the better. However upgrading is really easy (Press "Settings" button on the remote, then choose System Settings, finally Software Update), and only takes a few minutes - you do need an internet connection though.

Talking of internet -- if you do want on-demand and some of the other non-freesat services, you do need an internet connection and this model only comes with a wired internet. If you want a wireless connection, look at the Humax HDR-1010S Freesat.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Humax also had a DLNA client so I could watch all my recordings that sit on my NAS drive. This worked really well. While I also have all my music on my NAS drive, I copied everything to the internal Humax drive and can play it from there, it just means that with the files being local the response time is much quicker than going over the network (e.g. skipping to the next track is quicker). Very happy with this unexpected functionality.

A few quibbles, I'll mention these but really nothing to stop me recommending this highly. Although the DLNA client worked really well, you can't fast forward on a mpg video file that you've ripped from a DVD. Fast forward works well on everything else though (catch up, recordings, mp4 video files etc.). When you turn it on, it goes to a menu and small picture, you always have to press Exit to get to full screen, annoying. So a couple of things that Humax could, and should, fix. But considering the improvements they've made since the negative comments of a year ago, I have high hopes these quibbles will be resolved in the next upgrade.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to but a few niggles, 30 July 2014
Bought this recently after seeing so many good reviews here (didn't buy from Amazon though). It's fine except that the sound needs to be turned up very high when compared with watching something which is not coming via the box. We also find the guide very cluttered and slow, when compared with the one on our previous Freeview box, and the remote is very 'clicky' and rather annoying. I suppose one gets used to these things, but if we could have seen it working before purchase, we wouldn't have bought it. For the TV guide, it's much easier and quicker to use an online one (or phone app one).

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but poorly executed......., 1 Feb 2013
First things first.
The HDR-1000S has the potential to be a good Freesat PVR, however it seems a rushed and poorly implemented product which is simply too buggy regarding its operating software for me to be able to recommend it.

I am an existing Humax Foxsat HDR user, which has provided good service over the past 4 years. I bought the HDR-1000S in part to reduce the box count under my TV, by having a combined Satellite Rxr & Media Player. However, the HDR-1000S measures up short in both these areas.

On doing a live side-by-side picture comparison of the HDR-1000S with my existing Satellite feed compared against my existing Foxsat HDR box, the HDR-1000S does have a noticeably softer, lower contrast and poorer defined picture quality which is most noticeable on SD picture sources. It may be that Humax just hasn't got the picture up-scaling algorithms right, but whatever the cause, the simple upshot is that the picture isn't good enough (by the way it isn't the source at fault, I have an exceptional picture on the Foxsat HDR & on a Panasonic Freesat equipped smart TV which are both fed from the same satellite feed).

The HDR-1000S also suffers from similar problems that other people report of the second tuner indicating no signal, which after doing some subsequent research on forums appears to be a not uncommon defect with a number of Humax boxes. There is a recommended partial work around, but there seems little point in having a signal status indicator if it doesn't reliably indicate the status of the signal! i.e. it is a feature which doesn't work.

I also had problems getting the HDR-1000S box to recognise my NAS Device. Eventually, I did get the Humax HDR-1000S box to download files from my Synology DS409slim NAS (required several resets of my NAS software which I don't think is the issue). However, wish I hadn't bothered. The Media Player is painfully slow to download MP3's from my NAS and spends around 1 minute 'connecting' and then is painfully slow to navigate around, and also has a clearly rushed and quite poorly implemented HMI layout.

Also when streaming video files from the NAS, the Humax unit does not correctly scale the video so that it is not centred on the screen and some of the displayed video is thus cut-off and unwatchable. This is an unacceptable defect with the unit and renders it unfit for purpose.

I guess Humax may eventually sort this box out, but they haven't even bothered replying to my web-posted queries. So I've voted with my feet and returned the unit. Very sad really, as I also recently bought a Humax YouView Box which is excellent. If you've got a decent Freeview signal and can live without the dubious 'advantage' of the HDR-1000S' Media Player capability, then it is a no-brainer which one to select, as the HDR-1000S is currently just too flaky to recommend it.