on 29 December 2013
Having previously read Meet Me Under The Mistletoe I knew I'd like this book. Pre-Christmas is a mad time both at work and at home so short stories just hit the spot when I had only 20 mins or so for a sit down and a cup of coffee and this book has all the right ingredients for a lovely feel good break.

Abby descriptions of the entrants to the 'bake-off' competition are very fantastic. In such a short book I could clearly visualise both the people and the settings. Anyone who has ever lived in a village will probably be able to relate to each and every one of them.

She's clearly a very talented writer to give us so many ingredients in such a short sitting. Christmas, cakes, love, mystery and intrigue - what more could you ask for? To top it all the story is not predictable at all and has a couple of surprises.

A must read for anyone seeking a little slice of festiveness to put you in the mood, on top of that a couple of lovely recipes to try out for yourself at the back of the book.
on 29 November 2012
A lovely story of a perfect idealistic village. Everyone wants to win the bake off for different reasons. But with the added bonus of a TV star, even the most unlikely have baked, not always with dazzling offerings.
Abby delights her readers with this Christmasy short story. I am becoming a huge fan of Abby and her heart warming stories.
on 10 January 2013
Could have done with a little longer. Unfortunately adding recipes at the end did not add to the overall enjoyment.
on 11 December 2012
The Christmas Bake-Off is a short holiday story about a baking competition in a little English village. Bake shop owner, Katie, is hoping she'll win this year's competition,thus making her name in the baking world known; while Rachel wants to prove she is more than a home cook. She tries to impress the judges with her gingerbread house. There's even a little romance brewing between John the Baker and Katie. Who will the winner be in this sweet but short holiday Bake-off? I guess you'll just have to read it to find out.

I found the book short but sweet. Being a baker myself, the title enticed me, so I picked it up from Amazon for my Kindle. I gave it four stars because I thought the author could have added more depth to the characters, but in all fairness it is a lite-hearted festive read. There's an added bonus......two recipes at the end of the book for the readers to try. I can't wait to read Under the Mistletoe by Abby Clements.
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2012
Tapping into two markets at this time of year Christmas and Baking brings us this little short story by Abby Clements - The Christmas Bake Off.

Rachel just wants to win something and be recognised for her efforts for once. John is perhaps having a go but his skill is putting together flat pack furniture than a cake and then there is Katie who has a reputation to uphold as she bakes for a living and wants to be talent spotted for her baking by the famous TV baker - Joe Carmichael.

Things do not go to plan in fact there are some suspicious ingredients in it. True colours are shown and well you will just have to read to find out what happens.

A quick Christmas read to get you in the mood for some more Christmas themed reading and if not then some baking at least!
on 7 November 2013
What could be better than a book about cake, sabotage, romance and Christmas? Exactly nothing.

The Christmas bake off is short, sweet and utterly festive.
We're met with a mix of different, but lovely characters all with their own reasons to enter and win their villages annual Christmas bake off. Met with sabotage, they're all in shock. Who on earth would do such a thing?

Abby Clements is a magical writer and has you eating out of the palms of her hands with this darling little novella. It really is lovely. I'm guessing the Cinnamon Stars and Vanilla Moons I'll be making from the recipes at the back of book will be lovely too.
on 23 January 2013
I picked this up for free for my Kindle after the title caught my eye (I loved the British Bake Off show this year!). I thought it would be a good way of trying out Abby Clements before buying any of her books too.

It was a nice enough wee story based around a village baking contest. However the characters weren't particularly engaging as despite the short length of the story and reading it in one sitting I kept getting Katie and Rachel mixed up. I think I was looking for a bit more depth but it all felt rather superficial.

I have to say I was disappointed and it didn't encourage me to read anything else by Abby Clements.
on 27 November 2012
It is a really, really short story, but it has a promising (sweet -and probably a bit too saccharine if I'm honest) setting, with enjoyable characters. Of course, if the story was longer, I'm not sure I wouldn't get irritated in the end by the triviality of the story, but since it's meant to be read in one quick swoop, you get the warm Christmas-y feeling one loves at this time of year. As a freebie, it's pretty good (and well-written! Oh, how I wish all free books were as well written and spell-checked like this one!)
on 4 April 2013
Your book was
very good however there is always room for improvement . I liked the way you made a bit of a twist to the story at the part where two cakes get ruined at the bake off as it gives affect to the story and makes you think will it be a happy ending. My improving part is you could have a bit more of the different expression in the dialogue which I`m sure you can do. I would like to read this again because it's so inspiring to never give up and be fair. Well done on a good book!
on 10 December 2013
Absolutely enchanting very short story by the author of Meet Me under the Mistletoe. I loved every word. It takes place a couple of years before Meet Me under the Mistletoe, but most of the people are in both. I don't know if it is necessary to have read MMutM (sorry, too lazy to type it all out again), but I had actually just finished it yesterday.
Anyway, in view of all the bakery programmes on TV I can definitely recommend this book, even if, like me, you don't watch them.