A wealthy playboy is running scared. His years of drug dealing are over. The cars, the girls, the fun. All over. A snitch has been arrested - he must run.

Published 23 months ago by Mr. B. R. Good

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a damp squib
Published 1 month ago by @MagnumPIG

5.0 out of 5 stars BRAVE JOURNALISM: Exposing Bali's Drugs Underworld From The Inside, 23 Jan 2013
Mr. B. R. Good (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Snowing in Bali: The Incredible Inside Account of Bali's Hidden Drug World (Kindle Edition)

Meanwhile, a rat scuttles across the filthy concrete floor of Bali's Kerobokan Prison. A prisoner serving years for drug trafficking grabs it, kills it with his bare hands and cooks a 'tasty meal'. A mentally disturbed woman, naked from the waist down, has sexual intercourse with a male prisoner through the bars of a cell.

Going deep inside Bali's underworld - spending hours, weeks, months, talking to Bali's most dangerous criminals is why journalist Kathryn Bonella's books are bestsellers. Most journalists would shy away from interviewing these characters. Choosing instead to limit their research to libraries and newspaper archives. What if it goes wrong? What if they are accused of being a cop? What if the prisoner turns violent or makes demands? With corruption rife, no guard will save them. No editor would dare send a journalist on such an assignment. It's too risky. The decision to enter the lions den has to be the journalist's alone. As a leading authority on Bali's underworld, Bonella invites us into a world that the tourist has no idea about. As they calmly enter a bar, and smile at the man working the door - they have no idea he is a member of a notorious gang (it begins with L but I won't type it in case they kill me!)

Snowing in Bali (snow is dealer-speak for cocaine) is my most 'edge-of-seat read' since Hotel k. The dealers are risking a lot - just discussing their crimes could cause a lot of problems for them. And that is why the book is so enjoyable. We are seeing into a world that we are not supposed to.

There is a theme that runs through the book that I found particularly thought-provoking: why do so many drug lords, not get out once they've made their millions and BEFORE they get busted? It can't just be greed - it must also be the thrill of the chase.

I wait to hear the fate of two men, featured in the book, who are on death row.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blew me away - fascinating, 5 Mar 2013
I loved this book from start to finish. I simply couldn't put it down and read it in 2 sittings. It blew me away to see this world up close. The book starts with a bang and doesnt stop. Chapter one takes you into a big orgy with drug dealers and models. Very graphic and you feel like you are there. That's why I love this book, and this author's earlier one Hotel K - the writing style is compelling and really carries you into the scenes and the moment.. It moves fast and kept me on the edge of my seat. I bought this book after reading and loving Bonella's earlier book `Hotel K', about a Bali prison,it was shocking and gripping - and Snowing in Bali did not disappoint. Highly recommend to anyone interested in true crime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly insightful., 31 Jan 2013
What a book. I just happened upon it by chance and, when I saw that it referenced Peru, I had to take a look. (I live in Peru part-time, that's why it caught my eye.) Well I have to say that it was a right good read indeed! It gripped me from page one and, truth be told, I didn't put it down until I had finished it. It showed me what it's like to be a drug king in Bali and it's an incredible, glamorous, scary and dangerous life! The author writes as if she's lived the life too and has an easygoing style that belies the stark reality she's describing. As I read I kept asking myself 'I wonder if it would be worth it?'. Do those men she interviewed completely regret their choices? I really don't think so, and it intrigues me to no end. While I don't agree with what they did on a moral scale I wonder if I myself, when faced with the choice to become a drug dealer in a country where drugs get the death penalty, would I have said yes or no? What man wouldn't be tempted by the lifestyle? The money? The women? The cars? Like I said, it's a great read and I highly recommend it. One thing's for sure; it will leave you thinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb, Dark and Thrilling Book, 30 Jan 2013
I love Bonella's writing style and the razor-sharp way that she creates a scene. A scene that she has spent months, years investigating. As a journalist, she gives an eye witness account of Bali's drug scene that other writers could only dream of. She is like a war reporter, but without the protection of a camera crew.

I am not a fast reader, yet I had to cancel a dinner arrangement because I could not put this down. I have never enjoyed a book as much or been left with so much after-thought. I actually found myself thinking about the fate of some of the prisoners while lying in bed, and feeling an urge to know how things are going.

There is definite room for a follow-up. Fingers crossed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't put it down, 31 Jan 2013
This book is brilliant, it captures you from page 1, the way it is written you feel as though you know every person in the book as a friend, I have to admit that I read it far too quickly, I just wanted to turn each page over to find out what is happening, I finished the book today, but tonight I will start reading it again, just to make sure that I didn't miss anything. I have never ever reread a book straight away, but this one I have got too. I would also like to read another book with a follow up on what happens to these people in the future. BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT, BRILLIANT.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a damp squib, 27 Oct 2014
Bit of a strange one this - It was a pretty addictive book, I finished it in a few sittings, but as a few other reviewers have mentioned there are a lot of characters and other names mentioned fleetingly so its hard to feel too much sympathy for anyone in particular. Also there are sentences like 'The super babes were crazy for Rafael', which is something like a 13 year old would right.

Finally, I'm sure its a crazy life the stakes didn't seem high enough compared to the likes of 'Blow' by Bruce Porter and George Jung, which is overall an altogether better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 Feb 2013
I love this book! I read the the other two before and I loved those too.Its so gripping and exciting. The characters are really interersting and funny. I almost wish they didn't have to be where they are now but life is all about choices.
I hope there will be another book out soon :) No pressure Kathryn

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 10 July 2013
This is a fascinating book that gives an incredibly detailed and compelling insight into the world of drugs from the glamor of orgies with models to the dark hell when they get caught. Kathryn Bonella has done an impressive job of getting these drug bosses and traffickers to open up and talk to her. Snowing in Bali is packed with fascinating information and written in a way that draws you right into the scenes as if you are there too. I've read a lot of this genre and this is by far my favorite now. I found it riveting. My boyfriend has just finished reading Hotel K by Kathryn Bonella too and says it is also riveting. I'm a new fan of this author and can highly recommend Snowing in Bali. You won't be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked learning about the different characters and their lives, 11 July 2014
Very clear insight into the world of Bali drug lords and the corruption that exists at every level of law enforcement and the court system. I liked learning about the different characters and their lives. Some were bound to fall. Why? I don't won't to spoilt it so read it for yourself. It is quite a gripping read and a book I found keen to pick up and read again.

I also recommend Hotel K which is written by the same author and it an automatic read for those who want to know what goes on inside. Again very good insight provided. This is about the prison the type of guys featured in "Snowing in Bali" end up in and what type of lives can exist. It is another world!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as hotel K, 19 Aug 2014
I chose to read this book as hotel K was and still is the best book I have ever read.
I had high hopes for this book and was really disappointed. the story line was non existent. It was not very well written and confusing. it doesn't describe the characters well enough to give you the mental image you need when reading. and there are too many characters to keep up with which is also confusing.
I think the whole book went on for too long for what it is and could have basically been covered in two chapters.
would not recommend.