TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 September 2013
Life in a pit town, with all its quirks, snobbishness and fighting. It seems people are always looking for happiness but find it hard. Marriages torn apart, neighbours who gossip and everything else makes life difficult, but eventually, things settle down. Vinia, Joe, Tom, Dryden and everyone else each have their own stories in this fascinating look at life in a small village.
on 12 November 2013
I had never read a book by this author before. But saw it on Amazon and it sounded good. It proved to be so; it was very hard to put it down once started.
on 4 November 2013
I love Elizabeth Gill's novels and read this one in one sitting. I do not like reviews that give away the plot but suffice it so say that if you love stories about real people, struggling to make ends meet in challenging circumstances, then you'll love her books.
on 28 January 2014
I really enjoyed this novel and found it very difficult to put down. You really get an insight into how hard life was in the late 1800's and how prejudiced people were.
on 26 January 2014
This is the best book I have read in ages, new author to me but I will certainly be reading more, currently reading Snow Angeles and finding it hard to put down
on 21 January 2014
Truly Elizabeth gill writing,good storyline involving plenty of characters ,what I call an easy read after reading many crime thrillers ,will keep you interested whilst reading..
on 13 January 2014
The reason I enjoyed this book so much is because it is all about the area of the country that I myself come from very good
on 10 May 2014
Stories about pit villages in the north east in the early 1900s usually focus on the women and their struggles in adversity. This book is different in that the male characters dominate. There are three of them, Joe, Dryden and Tom, in love with three women, Vinia, Esther Margaret and Luisa. Two of the men have had troubled childhoods and no-one seems to partner the one they truly love, so this could be a mawkish read. However, it does have flashes of humour and self-sacrificing nobility, and in the end is very readable. This is the second book I have read by this author and I will be looking out for more.
on 9 February 2014
Found it a little slow to start with, but then got quite gripped. A bit disappointed with the ending but that was a personal opinion.
on 22 June 2014
enjoyed this book, another good read, different kind of story, was dying to know what happened good ending bit unexpected