4.0 out of 5 stars ( Very?) Good - as far as it goes, 29 Jan. 2014
Doccox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I noted this book advertised as a base book for a series of workshops on videomaking advertised in the IAC member magazine
For such a book ( at the price and length 224 pages) it is excellent for highlighting the areas which you need to consider before making any serious film or video. What it falls short on is the detail which any reader will need to check out before proceeding further from other books ( or more likely) from the Internet
Perhaps I have been somewhat harsh on Mark Brindles otherwise excellent effort in my rating at 4 star , but it does claim to be the definitive guide to digital film making. I would go along the description of the book by the other flash on the cover as "Essential tips for beginners and pros"
The glossary is good but a few additional leads as to further reading / websites might not have gone amiss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive introduction to every aspect of the filmmaking process, 18 Jun. 2013
If you want a brief introduction to digital filmmaking, covering just about every topic you could imagine, this is the book for you. Including what camera to choose, what software to edit in, how to write a convincing a screenplay, funding tips and how to distribute your film, it's got it all.

Will it help you make a film, though? There's enough information to get you started, for sure, but what you do with it is up to you. The Digital Filmmaking Handbook is a reference guide, very much an introduction to the topics covered. It covers some advanced filmmaking ideas and techniques (focus-pulling and frame-rate conversions, for instance), but, like an encyclopaedia, the brief sections are a starting point rather than a full guide. Unsurprising for a book that covers so much. The true benefit, then, will be when used as for finding further information - if you want to find the right camera, for instance, you can quickly compile a list of necessary functions or reliable names to speed up your search. And any budding filmmaker could benefit from having a copy of it with them onset, when trying to keep a lid on the chaos of a set.

Personally, my filmmaking experience rests more in the realms of scripwriting and video editing, and I found those sections acutely useful. It contains a succinct analysis of the three-act structure and the classic 12-steps of a hero's journey; in a handful of pages it lays out the fundamentals that are required to make any screenwriter a success.

This book is not just for the overly involved director. It's a brilliantly comprehensive introduction to every part of the film, up-to-date and relevant, which could benefit a reader at any stage of the production. It even covers smaller filmmaking projects like family and wedding videos, with technical tips that could help even an amateur documentary maker.

(My full review is available on my website at: http://www.writerightnow.co.uk/digitial-filmmaking-handbook-mark-brindle-review/ )

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book with everything you want to know and more!, 20 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Digital Filmmaking Handbook (Kindle Edition)
I've read quite a few books on making movies using digital technology recently. One I read claimed to be about digital and ended up having more info on old cinema techniques and commented that digital has changed all that but never actually explained the digital aspect.

I mention that because this book is all about digital, giving you the right information you need to know. He explains what digital really is and what you need to know but most importantly how to apply that. It's a great resource that I refer back to all the time.

Well done! Just what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend you buy it!, 29 Oct. 2014
D. Johnson "oldplayer" (England) - See all my reviews
Great insite if just starting out in amature filming. A must buy for anyone who needs to what is required to make a broadcastable short film or just to give your home movies that 'proffessional' look.
I was surprised at how expensive it 'can' be but there is great advise in this book in how to cut corners on shelling out so much cash.
I have finished reading it but its a great reference guide for future prodjects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifesaver., 5 Dec. 2014
This book literally took my HND course and delivered it in a neat, fully understandable fashion. It undoubtedly helped me pass my assessments, now all my classmates want a copy. Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, 8 Mar. 2014
Had it recommended, purchased, quick look and it immediately answered all my questions.
So recommended to all my Camcorder Club, who also purchased a copy.
Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 7 April 2014
I started a course video editing at our local adult education centre and one of the students had this book, very usefull so I bought it

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful book for (first time) filmmakers, 5 Mar. 2014
The book is very helpful. It looked prestine when it came. Probably not anymore, as we've taken it on all our little film trips.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 15 Feb. 2015
Michael (London , UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking a book like this till I find it . this is all you need to know

5.0 out of 5 stars A good reference, 4 Jan. 2015
A good reference book, nicely broken down chapters.

The Digital Filmmaking Handbook