4.0 out of 5 stars Drugs as a metaphor for Indian urban problems
Published on 28 Aug. 2012 by Ripple

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, but some gems to be found in the prose
Narcopolis by Jeet Thayil, a Booker 2012 longlist nominee, is a portrait of drug addicts in Bombay. Omniscient narrator Dom describes a variety of characters encountered in Bombay's drug dens. Prostitute Dimple, Chinese refugee Mr Lee, drug dealer Rashid etc.

Published on 26 Aug. 2012 by R. A. Davison

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, but some gems to be found in the prose, 26 Aug. 2012
R. A. Davison (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)

There are, without a doubt some absolute gems hidden within the prose of Narcopolis, a passage about the nature of doubt stood out for me, and the novel got off to a good start, but there is no plot as such; despite the quality of the prose I found myself disengaging from the novel and at a certain undefinable point it stopped being something I was reading, and became a chore I had to get through.

For readers unfamiliar with India, use of slang and cultural references, will sometimes create a barrier of understanding, or did for me at any rate. I suppose if I wanted to give it a catchy, easily understood summary I'd say "It's an Indian Trainspotting". Likewise did Trainspotting, with its use of local dialect create a comprehension barrier for the average reader.

Narcopolis is the 8th book on the longlist which I have now read, with the exception of Bring Up The Bodies which I read regardless of its presence on the list, at the time of publication, I have been pretty disappointed with this years list, plenty of "good" solid books like The Lighthouse say, but nothing which has transcended words on a page, and entered a part of my mind or heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drugs as a metaphor for Indian urban problems, 28 Aug. 2012
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
In "Narcopolis", Jeet Thayil pulls off that tricky thing of writing about protagonists under narcotic influence surprisingly well for me, although it's fair to say that it won't be everyone's taste. It's not a book that the Bombay/Mumbai tourist office will be keen to promote. A cover quotation links the book to a similar vein (OK, that's a poor choice of words in the circumstances) to "Trainspotting" and that's not far from the mark.

Thayil opens the story in the 1970s in Rashid's opium house where his regulars, including the narrator, in Indian student named Dom, interact with Rashid and the memorable character of Dimple, a eunuch who expertly prepares the pipes. What, for me, makes this successful is that he slowly and gently takes the reader into the depths of the dream-like world they live in. On the surface of the book, it's very much about addiction, to narcotics but also to sex and alcohol, but at a deeper level it's also a using drugs as a huge metaphor for the changes in India over the period from the simplicity of opium, and the long-standing historical links between China and India, to the more damaging modern narcotics of heroin from Pakistan which has a more violent and damaging impact on its users. India remains a melting pot of religion, cultures and wealth throughout but Thayil is suggesting that it is the more modern influences that have made it more damaging and violent. When his narrator, Dom, returns in present day though, he is just as drawn in to the vice as he was in the 1970s, so perhaps little has changed.

Thayil does explore some of the inherent contradictions in Indian life but in many ways you get less of a flavour of India than with the older generation of Indian writers. There's more of a poetic style to the writing than the more traditional story-telling generation of the likes of say Rushdie and Mistry.

Story lines and characters drift into each other with surprisingly good results. The whole thing is like a dream - or more accurately a nightmare - and it's often hard to know where one part stops and another begins. For me some of the best bits are the descriptions of Dimple's life and her friendship with the old Chinese refugee Mr Lee.

This is very much a cast of drug dealers, prostitutes, murderers, gangsters and pimps with the odd artist thrown in for good measure. For some it may lack a strong enough driving force but I think I just may be getting addicted to Thayil's poetic prose.

4.0 out of 5 stars unusual but worth while, 16 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
A group of characters - loosely connected through their use of opium and later other variants of opium and Rashid's khana, in which it is smoked or injected or inhaled - has a range of experiences in 1980s Bombay. These range from the visit to Bombay of an artist who specialises in images of Christ, through to the live of the local gangsters and corrupt police, through ethnic conflict and general poverty. The final chapters of the book are a 30 years on return by the narrator who has been part of the scene, but not a central part. Much of the book concerns Dimple, who works for Rashid, and Mr Lee for several chapters, from whom she inherits an opium pipe which buys her original entry to Rashid's khan.

This is therefore not a tightly plotted novel - it has more the rewards of an interlocking set of short stories - memorable incident, some reflections on the meaning of life, and a very strong sense of time and place.

The opening chapter is an 8 page unparagraphed reflection by the narrator looking back on his own first experience of opium at Rashid's. If this does not immediately appeal, it is unlikely that the rest of the book will fare much better. On the whole, I enjoyed it and it will certainly linger in the memory.

4.0 out of 5 stars Indian life through an opium cloud, 2 Aug. 2012
MisterHobgoblin (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
Narcopolis begins and ends in Bombay. I suspect that, in the middle, Jeet Thayil had hoped to create a Bombay epic. It is probably not substantial enough to achieve that ambition, but is an interesting and quirky look at Indian life through an opium cloud.

The novel is bookended by the narration of an American dopehead, Dom Ullis, who first visits Rashid's opium den in the late 1970s or early 1980s - time is fairly unspecific - and returns some 20-30 years later. He is intrigued by some of the characters he meets, most intriguing of whom is Dimple, a woman who used to be a man. Dom's sections are not terribly lucid; they drift in and out of focus; they have psychobabble wittering; they have the detachment of a tourist who knows that he won't really be touched by anything he sees or does.

The more interesting sections are the central "meat" of the book. We uncover elements of Dimple's story and those she encounters. Hence we get the story of Mr Lee, a Chinese man who has fled the cultural revolution. We half discover how Dimple came to be castrated and ended up working in a brothel. We have the story of Rashid and Rumi and a host of other minor villains. As the stories converge on Rashid's den, they start to contradict as much as they overlap The lucidity with which we see Dimple's earlier life and Mr Lee' story of flight blurs into a smoky haze.

This could all have been a bit of a disaster were it not for the engaging brilliance of Dimple. She suffered abuse and humiliation, yet she plied her trade trade in brothels and drug dens with detached dignity. She intrigued both clients and employers alike. Yet for all the charisma, for all the victimhood, she is not quite angelic. She is willing to lie, cheat, steal and perhaps more to get what she wants. She seemed rather like a camel, serving others as they wish but only on her own terms.

The question of whether the novel really portrays India, or really portrays Bombay, is a moot point. There are plenty of mentions of religion - particularly the tensions between Muslims, Hindus and Christians - but there is no structure to this; no clear point is being made. We learn that religions and castes matter to Indians but don't get a clear sense in exactly what way. Many statements are left hanging. At various points Bombay is described as a city that is only inhabitable for two months a year but we never get a feel for how it is uninhabitable. We can guess that it is because of the heat and the smells; the disease and squalor and poverty - but we are never really shown. Moreover, the cast of Narcoplois is so small, and the situations so specialised that it is difficult to see whether or not they are representative of the whole. The only truly generic character seemed to be Dom, the everyman drug tourist, frittering away other people's wealth whilst pretending to find an inner soul. So, yes, there was homelessness, squalor and corruption, but only portrayed in close up; the camera never pulls back. Jeet Thayil can conjure strong images and has got some great turns of phrase, but his problem seems to be in knowing what to do with them. He lets the genie out of the bottle but doesn't have any wishes to be granted.

So, overall, it is an enjoyable read but falls well short of greatness. And for all Dom's grandiloquence in his final sentences, this is not the definitive novel of Bombay.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
Where to start... I had no real idea what this book was going to be about. I don't think that I have ever read a book based in India before, but i read this as it was the book chosen for my book club.

The main emotions stirred in me by this book were disgust and confusion. The book confronted many different themes including gender, sex, drug use, religion, marriage, prostitution, crime, plus many others. This was all set against the backdrop of 1970's Bombay. Unfamiliar with the history, and quite possibly the culture of Bombay and India in general, I found it quite difficult to follow the story (the language used, the types of places mentioned). I believe this could also have been due to the writing style, which I found to have both positive and negative aspects. It seemed that there wasn't any real, solid story to the book, more a series of situations and events that occurred, involving various combinations of characters in various locations. This was something I found difficult to follow, becoming unsure who was talking at different points in the book. However, the authors descriptions were evocative, and I certainly formed images in my mind of how I thought places and people looked.

There were some very graphic, and disturbing scenes in the book involving drug use, sex (both consensual and non-consensual, in heterosexual and homosexual situations), occurring separately, and together. It mingles religion/sex/drugs together very closely which could certainly prove problematic for some readers. I equate some of the scenes in this book with the kind of scenes that occur in American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, graphic and difficult to read. Alot of these did not seem to have any real build up, or come-down, and were in some cases, just another thing that happened, told in quite a neutral tone.

I would say that it would be difficult to say I enjoyed this book, I found it difficult to become attached to the characters, or to feel empathy to many of them. It is quite possible that I missed the point of the book, as I realise that the book dealt with many difficult themes - however when the book ended, I was left unsatisfied, but not particularly wishing that the story would continue. Time shifts and character shifts made it difficult follow.

I did however enjoy reading it from the perspective that it was out of my comfort zone in terms of usual genres of books, and that despite the confusion I encountered (which could of course just be me being a bit thick!), the writer delivered many interesting thoughts, along side deep questions, interesting character conversations and vivid imagery, whilst also dealing with problematic themes.

I am unsure as of yet, whether it is a book I would recommend to others due to the nature of the content. Not for the faint hearted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Human life is disposable, this book is not, 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
I read this book whilst on a trip to India in Feb 2013, visiting West Bengal, Assam and Meghalaya. Thayil's book is based entirely in Mumbai (with a sub-plot dealing with the Chinese origins of one character in the early days of the Communist Revolution), but much of what Thayil describes will be familiar to anyone who has visited any Indian city, if only superficially. The book is well-written with a pacy narrative and a very evocative style, as befits a poet like Thayil, but is not for the faint-hearted as it depicts a cast for whom no moral code seems to apply, and in which casual and often brutal violence, drug use, utter squalor, poverty, and the disposability of human life are quite normal. Some of the characters, such as the transgender prostitute and opium worker Dimple, are capable of generating some sympathy from the reader, but most are repulsive. Still, don't let that put you off. Four stars for the writing, but if I was judging it on the likeability of the characters, it would get two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Whatever else it was, it wasn't mundane, 11 April 2013
YeahYeahNoh (Willenhall, West Midlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Narcopolis (Kindle Edition)
I quite like picking up books which receive mixed reviews, and that was one of my reasons for reading this one.
It's nomination for awards was also a factor.
Sometimes a book is perhaps easier to understand if you feel some cultural or experiential link to the prose. The world of drug addiction and opium and the reality of Mumbai/Bombay is beyond my experiences, but the book did give me a feel for that, and certainly made me think.
It is though a little bit like an excited child, changing topics quickly and sometimes hard to follow.
Unlike some who seem to have preferred the start to the end, I felt the book actually got better as it went on, perhaps because initially I really didn't see what it was doing or aiming for. In the end it was quite a poignant ride, and although I've only rated it three stars, I would say it was worth a read - I'm glad I read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph Of Style Over Content, 19 Jan. 2013
M. Burns "Bikermiker" (Newton Abbot, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
Jeet Thayil is I am told a poet, and Narcopolis his first novel. This story does have a beginning a middle and an end, but the structure is loose and wandering whilst the prose is tight and intense. Each sentence may be carefully constructed with a poet's craftiness whilst the overall story drifts though time and space from nightmares to daydreams, much like the lives of the substance abusing characters. As reprehensible as the lives of these junkies, seem at first, I found myself caring about the outcome of their lives. This is a mark of the writers skill.

I very much enjoyed reading this book, it being so different from my usual fare. Like a good Indian meal I didn't want to stop even when my plate was empty. If you find joy in good writing you will enjoy this too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alluring, dark, complex, 10 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
Jeet Thayil’s ‘Narcopolis’ is set in the seedy underbelly of Bombay or ‘Bumbay’ as the author disparagingly calls it on one occasion and spans several decades. The central character is Dimple, a hijra or eunuch, a transsexual born a boy but given away to a ‘priest’ in childhood. Dimple undergoes an operation to have the male sexual organs removed. The hijra are highly sought after in the brothels of the Indian subcontinent. Dimple is different. She is generous, feminine, sexual and philosophical. She possesses an alluring vulnerability and a transcendent wisdom. Rashid, the owner of a local opium den on the infamous Shuklaji street persuades her to leave the brothel where she works and set up in his khana bringing her unique Chinese opium pipes.

Rashid is a family man, on the one level in denial, refusing to acknowledge Dimple’s identity and provenance, inventing an alternative story renaming her Zeenat to explain her arrival and that of the Chinese opium pipes at the khana. However, he falls hopelessly and passionately in love with her. She haunts his imagination. Indeed Dimple is a haunting presence throughout the narrative even when she is not present in the story. She is the fulcrum through which desire and the complicated backdrop of inter-communal and social tensions are explored.

The twin themes of addiction and vulnerability permeate the novel. The khana or opium den is a haven. It is communal in stark juxtaposition to the religious and ethnic hatreds festering on the streets outside. There is something deceptively soothing in the languorous and shared experience of the opium den. There is succour in the ritual of preparation of the pyalis and the promise of oblivion. Ethnic and religious differences are left at the door. Thayil captures well the sense of dread, the atmosphere of threat and danger in the surrounding streets due to the sectarian and inter-communal violence that wracked India in the early 1990’s.

There are revelatory passages on the incapacitating and self-limiting nature of doubt, on the transitory nature of reality and a description of the burkha as a product of the fevered male imagination encapsulating both fear and desire at the same time. The prose has an elegiac quality, the addict narrator Dom on the pipe for the last time recollects over the course of one night a lost and bygone world.

Narcopolis will not be to everyone’s taste. There are opium induced dream sequences akin to magical realism. The author himself was an addict for many years and the narrative bears the stamp of authenticity. The novel took Thayil five years to write and it is his first at age 50. He is an accomplished poet and the lyrical nature of the prose casts its own spell. If you are curious about the alluring, dark and complex nature of India and its teeming masses and the fragile nature of existence in the sprawling metropolis then you will like Narcopolis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for Daily Mail readers or children under 11., 27 Oct. 2013
Dr R (Norwich, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Narcopolis (Paperback)
This is the author's first novel but he has already produced 4 books of poetry. The book is all about Bombay, so much so that the name is the first and last word of the book, although it contains a brief, and to my mind less than successful, journey to China's Cultural Revolution. Otherwise we are mostly amongst the Shuklaji Street opium dens of the city in the 1970s, and meet a series of characters that are, with one exception, uniformly grim. It may be argued that the central character is the city itself, so well does the author describe its squalor, violence and occasional beauty. As the author is using his 20 years of opium addiction as a backdrop to the novel it deserves to be treated seriously.

The central location of the book is Rashid's opium den and its main characters, Rashid himself, the aged Bengali, Dom, probably something of a self-portrait of the author, and Dimple, a hijra, who was sold by her mother and castrated at the age of 8, and is now a prostitute and preparer of the pyali ball for the opium pipes of the addicts who frequent Rashid's. However, Dimple has taught herself to read and uses opium mainly to dull her constant pain, a result of her castration and prostitution. Some might say at the outset that she gets what she deserves but few would hold this opinion at the end of the book.

There are numerous intertwining stories involving pimps, prostitutes, beggars, addicts and criminals, some more successful and interesting than others, and there certainly is no plot as such, which some readers may find bothersome. We see the narrator, American-educated Dom Ulisis, choosing to spend his life in Rashid's establishment after being deported back to India for attempting to buy drugs? We learn about the alcohol and cocaine peddler, Salim, repeatedly raped by his powerful boss. An old Chinese drug dealer, Mr Lee, introduces Dimple to opium to ease her pain, but then outstays his welcome (one of the reasons for my 4* rating) by describing the horrors of the Cultural Revolution, his love affairs and how he came to Bombay, by driving all the way, a rather unlikely event, I would have thought.

Mr. Lee leaves his superior opium pipes to Dimple, and they attract many addicted `connoisseurs' to Rashid's to the extent that other dealers become jealous. Over the years the garad and opium becomes cocaine, which Rashid will not sell, but the addictions still multiply, even Rashid's 6-year old son, Jamal, wanting to smoke like his father. Rashid manages to free himself from his addiction, but has paid a huge price in many different ways.

We lose patience with Newton Xavier, a drunken, addicted artist who retreats from fame, admiration and riches to experience the pleasures of Rashid's den, including trying out his eunuch. Unlike the others he can, and does, manage to escape, but only until the next experience that he needs to stimulate his artistic juices. In contrast, what choice does Dimple have? And why do people who have had choices in life end up demanding pipes and sex from her?

Dimple's own life is an affirmative story of how someone starting out with the most appalling disadvantages can still be a positive force for herself and those who know, and even use, her. Because she is surrounded, immersed, in so much poverty, illiteracy and violence one can all the more appreciate the difficulty of the route she has taken, and come to understand why she cannot judge anyone. All the other main characters are men concerned with their money grabbing, and sexual and physical satisfaction.

Many characters use religion to describe themselves as Christians, Muslims or Hindus, but their real religion is opium since they put this first, second and last in their everyday lives. Acts of small kindness, like Rashid's sending a street beggar some tea and Marie biscuits bring us up short, "She ate the biscuits one by one, daintily, dipping each one into the tea before putting it into her mouth. She was smiling". Such writing, such acts light up this book and, I suspect, were one of the reasons for its being longlisted for the Man Booker Prize of 2012.

The teeming life of the city, which has got much worse in the Mumbai of today, is itself a kind of drug, since the reader sitting in comfortable Western surroundings wants to know more about its criminal and other underclasses. To that extent it might have been set in the slums and favelas of any developing country city, where drugs offer the only way to see each day through. Efforts to stamp out the lawlessness associated with drug use, without addressing the underlying poverty and absence of hope, do not work. Glue-sniffing leads on to opium and on to heroin and few people manage to escape as Thayil has done.

The empathy that the author shows his characters comes from understanding their needs and their skewed perspectives and priorities of life. The author has said that he wanted to "honour the people I knew in the opium dens, the marginalised, the addicted and deranged, people who are routinely called the lowest of the low". The author takes his leave, after guiding us to places we would, assuredly, not wish to go without his company, saying "This is the story the pipe told me. All I did was write it down, one word after the other, beginning and ending with the same one, Bombay."

In recommending this book, I would advise people that the Prologue, a stream of consciousness paragraph 7-pages long, is by far the hardest part of the book to read and it might be worthwhile, as I did, to re-read it after completing the novel.