5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product
Published on 31 Dec. 2011 by nick

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixture of good features and annoyances
I bought this to replace my Forerunner 305, mainly due to the battery life on the 305 deteriorating. I bought it solely to track my training runs and to give me pace and time feedback during runs and races. Pros and cons after 2-3 months of use:

Pros:
* The battery life is excellent, certainly compared to my 305
* It's less bulky than some...
Published 3 months ago by Mike Andy

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 31 Dec. 2011
I've had this watch for a couple of weeks. Having never used anything like this before, and only 6mths into running/fitness, i was very unsure whether to spend this kind of money and especially as it only had 7 reviews at the time. But i read a lot of reviews on other similar products, and the older Garmin ones, and felt that getting the latest version was a chance worth taking, on the basis that most of the -ve's points in the reviews on the older Garmin products would probably have been addressed with the 610 (eg buttons on the older watches, poor battery life etc etc). And i have to say, it would seem that's been the case.

I've used the watch for a couple of 10k runs outside, and about 15 hrs at the gym.

It does everything that it claims to, and very well:

Satellites take 30 seconds or so to locate.

The "swipe" touchscreen is excellent. I just tap it and it changes to the next screen, so very good whilst running (Havn't used it in the rain, so i can't comment).

I'm not especially tech-oriented, but it is very intuitive. The manual is very straight forward and easy to read. I very quickly set-up the screens i wanted to see on the watch.

The HRM strap is very comfortable, and has never lost any signal to the watch.

The only area where i struggled a touch was the software, but if you follow the intructions (ie dont plug in the USB stick right away,,tempting tho it is, before going on the website). I clicked on the Garmin website link via the instruction disk. Created a sign-in, and after that you just click on upload. The data it provides is, for what i want, perfect. EG i set the watch to lap every KM (and also to alert me every KM). When uploaded, the website shows a breakdown of the time, elevation, HR etc etc for each lap, making comprisons very easy. The map of the route loads very quickly, as do charts showing HR, speed, pace etc. It shows very clearly all of the runs/activities, making historical comparisons very easy, and to monitor progress/improvement.

The battery life seems very good, and the alert to tell you the battery's low, gives a fair amount of notice. The wrist strap is very robust, but can be changed if necessary.

Overall, i'm pleasantly surprised at how good this is, and the fact that i actually use all its functionality.

I would highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb addition to the Garmin forerunner line, 30 Aug. 2011
Steven Brown (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I picked this up almost as soon as it came out, as been desperate from an upgrade from my forerunner 305. Avoided the 405 due to the huge amount of criticism on the bezel control format.

Did have to think twice about spending such an amount on a running watch, but I'm pleased to report I've very happy with my purchase.

My main reasons for upgrading from the Forerunner 305 were, firstly, the very slow GPS pickup. If I had moved a fair distance, and started running, it could easily take anywhere between 5 and 10 minutes to get satellite reception.
The 610, despite it's far smaller size, blows this out of the water. My average time so far has probably been about 30 seconds. Often less, though more a couple of times - but never more than a minute.

Secondly was the battery on my 305. Would only take a few decent sized runs before recharging was required. The 610 can manage about 8 hours. From what I've read, this isn't much better than a 405, but definitely better than my 305.

My worry on the 610 was the control mechanism. I was happy with the 305 controls, and the "improvement" on the 405 was regarded as a bit of a disaster.
The 610 has 3 hard buttons on the sizes (for power, start/stop, and lap/reset), everything else is touch screen. I'm finding it very useful. In particular, swiping between screen you've pre configured by tap or swiping is great, much better than the hard buttons on the 305.
I've not had any issues with rain/sweat affecting the connection between your finger at the screen either.

Other features I'm enjoying over the 305 -
- Wireless Sync. When the watch is on near the ANT USB stick, data automatically gets transferred (have tried on Windows and Mac, with success on both). really nice feature.

- Virtual Partner. This has changed from my 305. Partner used to be a virtual character from a previous run (which I thought was a great feature). This is now called Virtual Racer. Virtual Partner is now a pacer - set it to run at 8 minute miles, and you can see distance/time behind (or on a rare occasion, ahead :-)

- Easy changing of data fields during activity. You don't even have to preconfigure the screens - holding a data field will change the information available on that field.

In summary - a superb running watch. The only downside is that it is a pretty steep price. But if you're doing a lot of miles, this great bit of kit is definitely worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixture of good features and annoyances, 6 Feb. 2015

Pros:
* The battery life is excellent, certainly compared to my 305
* It's less bulky than some Garmins
* It has a lot of features not on my 305 but to be honest these don't really interest me

Cons:
*Accuracy, or rather lack of it. I've used it on runs where it has got completely confused and recorded half a mile further than I ran, and this can't be blamed on trees or tall buildings
*Utterly pointless touchscreen. An extra button or two would have done the job. The screen isn't very responsive, and the touchscreen seems to be a gimmick rather than a useful feature. Navigating the menus using the touchscreen is painful
*Locking when you don't want it to. Locate satellites, get ready for your race, stand on the start line, and...it's locked itself and you need to unlock it and wait for it to find satellites again. And contrary to some of the claims I've seen, it isn't significantly faster to locate satellites than my 305
*Pace display - you don't get real-time pace, just the average pace for the current mile/km, which coupled with the accuracy issues is also pretty useless (it told me I was running sub-4 pace today - I wish!). The 305 was much better in this respect.

In summary, some good features but ultimately disappointing and certainly not worth paying full price (which I'm glad I didn't), and I would much rather have my bulky old 305 with the battery life issue fixed than this more recent and more expensive model.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent running watch, 13 Oct. 2011
This is a great running watch. It has definitely helped my training by making it more measurable and improving my motivation. It has a lot of complex functionality, but is also intuitive enough to get started quickly with the basics and then learn about the advanced features later. The touch screen works well, making that wealth of features accessible in a way buttons never could. Configurable training screens let me see exactly the information I want and nothing else. I like the fact it's (just) wearable as a regular watch. Though larger than most regular watches, it doesn't look out of place on my wrist when I'm not running.

However, the 610 isn't perfect. There are a few things it could do better:
* The heart rate monitor stopped working after about a month and began constantly showing my heart rate at an arbitrarily high number, regardless of whether I was resting or running. Garmin is replacing it under warranty; I hope the new one lasts longer.

* It always takes mine a few minutes to locate satellites. Other reviewers have had more success, but I have to hang around for a while waiting to start my run.

* The vibration alerts are a bit too strong - they make a buzzing sound. The alerts were a big draw for me since I don't like to hear a lot of beeping while I run. It's a shame they are still audible.

* Who needs two different computer interfaces? TrainingCenter isn't portable, while GarminConnect doesn't access the watch's full functionality. I wish Garmin would do away with one (preferably TrainingCenter) and improve the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 23 July 2012
I had heard many good reviews about this product, however was unsure whether to part with the large amount of money it costs. But in the end it has been totally worth it, this it is the best watch I have ever had and I would highly recommend this to others. I especially like the feature of the total distances covered in the past week/ month.

2.0 out of 5 stars This should be a great sportswatch, no mistake, 23 Feb. 2015
This should be a great sportswatch, no mistake. However, what massively lets it down is the quality of the touchscreen. I've had three of these now, and on all of them, the touchscreen has lost its touch-response after about 6 months. As you cannot use the watch in any meaningful way when the screen is not reacting, this is a major problem.

When it works, this is a great watch and useful training tool. However, 6-7 months lifespan makes this too much of a risk for me to go for another one. Come on Garmin, please sort out the quality issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of equipment, 22 Sept. 2011
I bought this watch as an upgrade to my Garmin FR60 (which is still working fine, but I wanted something that would log my routes via GPS).
I'd researched the models out there and finally decided to go with DCRainmaker's recommendation, following his excellent online, indepth review.

My plan was to get to know all the features over a 3 week period, prior to my half marathon - but in the event, injury laid me up, so the first time I used the watch was on race day!

I haven't used the watch intensively enough to give much of an indepth review, so I'll leave a few bullet-points on my experiences with the watch.

* I love the customisable pages (but wish you could turn off the time/date page in auto-scroll - hopefully that'll come in a future firmware update).
* Virtual partner was invaluable. I ended up using this exclusively during the race - I'd pre-programmed it with the pace I wanted to keep - and it constantly kept me on track. Much more useful than just glancing at your current or average pace, as it gives an overall report of whether you're behind or ahead - and continually adjusts if you speed up/slow down. It takes all the guesswork out of racing (or training) and allows you to just get on with it.
* The vibrating alerts are brilliant. During my race I was wearing headphones, but had no problem missing any of the alerts (eg behind pace in Virtual Partner).
* Set-up and options are very straightforward and easy to navigate. Initially the touchscreen does take a little getting used to when you're negotiating the different settings, but you soon get the hang of it. I'd initially been a bit dubious about the touchscreen, as I'm usually a buttons woman, but it was surprisingly user-friendly - even in pouring rain.
* Speaking of pouring rain, no complaints whatsoever. Worked a charm, with no ill-effects - and at one point during the race, the rain was monsoon-like.
* I haven't used the intervals feature, but my running partner has (she has the same watch). She loves it. Allowing you to set your interval sets and recoveries in between, with a vibrating alert is apparently "the dog's tenticles".
* The HRM strap is very comfortable, absolutely no chafing (which had been a problem with previous Garmins) - and a much better fit than previous models.

I download the workout activities via a MacBook Pro and the ANT+ stick to Garmin Connect. Training Center doesn't run too well on Mac, and Garmin Connect is a ropey online programme overall, but I've been using it for over a year now and it's perfectly adequate for analysing your runs, etc. I also use TrailRunner and RubiTrack. No problems uploading with the supplied ANT+ stick to any of these programs.

I'm looking forward to using more of the features of the watch. I've got a feeling I'm going to love it - and although it *is* comparatively expensive, it all boils down to what you're willing to pay for a training tool. If the features this watch offers aren't important to you - it won't be worth the money. Conversely, if statistics and the features it offers will enhance your training sessions, then it'll be as vital a piece of equipment as your running shoes.

I also have a bike set up on a turbo trainer, with a GSC10 speed/cadence sensor. I haven't used this HRM with the turbo yet, but would expect it to perform as well as the FR60 I've previously been using.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, 10 Jan. 2014
Google the term reverse charging. It's incredibly common and didn't happen to me until a year after I bought it. The watch still works but does not charge reliably. Sometimes it doesn't even turn on. Very badly designed charging cable. Way too unreliable for the price.

It's a pity, as I do like the watch but anyone considering this should buy a more reliable one. This charging problem is extremely common.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vastly improved!, 2 Aug. 2012
I have been a loyal garmin forerunner fan since I started running 3 years ago. I have been using the 305 and have been really happy with it.....the only downside being the size of the watch itself. I was keen to upgrade and got the 410.....BIG MISTAKE...rubbish control system!!!!...avoid at all costs. I was therefore a little reluctant to go for the 610 however went for it anyway and haven't regretted it so far...it's a vast improvement on the 305. I was concerned about the touch screen however have been very impressed. If you love running and gadgets, get one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, 13 July 2012
This watch is amazing. It is very easy to use, touch screen is exceptional and functionalities are exactly what you need. GPS signal can take from less than 1 min to a max of 3 min. The virtual runner is very useful and i loaded some interval workouts from garminconnect very easily. Workout transfers onto garminconnect is quick and easy. Battery life is OK. i run 3-4 times a week for 1 hr and i charge it every 10 days. 2 small issues: one time the screen froze completely. I checked online and seems to be a relatively common problem. i just left it there and it fixed itself but apparently if you do a reset the problem resolves. Quite annoying though. The second issue is that i wear this watch as an everyday watch and the bottom of the watch lost its colour and it become copper colour. If i sweat a lot it stains my wrist with an off blue/greenish colour. Overall the best running watch i ever owned. Garmin is much better than Polar and Suunto.