on 14 May 2013
If you are looking for a relatively cheap IPS type LCD-LED monitor in the 23 inch range, AND want to enjoy wonderful 3d-effects, look no further.
The price-quality ratio of this monitor is very good. It supports 3 types of connection: vga (dsub), DVD-D and HDMI. It is HDCP compliant. It has very vivid colours and brightness. As a 2d monitor it is very good for the price. But I bought this for the 3d via computer (as a 3d tv was not in my budget range now) . The monitor has an auto-3d button: that works making either 2d photos and videos artificially into 3d (watch with polarized glasses, 2 supplied - works with polarized cinema glasses also). the 2d to 3d is mediocre but worth a look. Photo's are better than video. But now the native 3d materials: this effect is VERY good, despite what some reviws on the internet might say. I tried out a variety of half-SBS or half-OU videos and bluray 3d rips and they look stunning. Mind you, you have to sit some 50-100cm from tthe screen for best effect and watch videos fullscreen. Once started, for instance an 3d-HSBS-MKV file, set to fullscreen and press the 3d menu button on the bottom-front of the monitor and hey presto! wonderful 3d.
My friends were also quite impressed by the 3d effects.

It also can connect via HDMI 1.4 cable to a bluray player to play real 3d discs. I dont have that possibility myself but given previous findings, i am sure this will be amazing too.

Only a few less positve points, i must mention:
-the monitor wobbles on its stand when the buttons are pressed or table/desk is jolted.
-The operating of the menu butttons takes some time to get used to, as it;s hard to see the labels above the buttons. I solved this by sticking littele white round stickers above the buttons with feltpen symbols/lettering on them. Worsk a charm for me but some may find this off-putting visually.
-Apparantly, if you set the energy saving mode and change to 3d mode (auto max brightness etc), and change vback to 3d-off, the energy saving mode will remain off. hs to be reset manually thru'the menu.

On the PLUS side:
- two 3d glassed are supplied, but of regular variety, not one clip-on version for spectacles wearers, as was advertised by LG.
-wonderful 3d
-cheap IPS screen
-response time is good for films, can be set to 'fast' in the menu for 2d videos.

all in all, i am very content with this monitor. i can recommend it.
on 18 January 2014
If this is within your budget and you're looking for a monitor that does 3D for your pc then by all means GET THIS ONE.

Concerning the actual 2D screen quality, you can't go wrong with an IPS panel. This does a brilliant job, the colours are vivid and the screen is very bright and sharp, exactly what I expected. When doing various colour tests online I came out perfect, everything is displayed correctly. Another important point is that there is no ghosting with this under normal circumstances, I do think there is some when using the passive 3D however.
The user interface for the monitor isn't that great, its not bad but it does take getting used to.

As for the overall 3D on this monitor, well what I've found is that it depends on how the 3D itself is being rendered. The inbuilt monitor passive 3D system is alright at best, but it doesn't provide the same lucid detail that something like 'NVidia 3d vision' or actual 3D content would do. Even still photos look great using this feature and it does help add a lot of depth to games,as for standard 2D movies I wouldn't bother with as it just doesn't look good (just my opinion).
On the contrary, if the 3D rendering is done via software e.g Powerdvd 13, youtube 3D, SBS bluray etc it works BRILLIANTLY, really quite something. Still not quite perfect but its close. There are two 3D glasses included (you can use the IMAX ones from the cinema as well by the way)and I have no issues with wearing them watching 3D stuff for several hours, no eye stain or headaches providing you're viewing 3D content at a reasonable depth, brightness etc.
-----HOW TO ENABLE NVIDIA 3D VISION------
As for those interested in 3D PC gaming then I'd highly recommend this if you want to save a heap of cash. Although NVidia 3D vision isn't officially supported on tis monitor, there is a work around which works perfectly for this. This requires you to install modified monitor drivers for another monitor, details of which can be found online.
This mods drivers for use on the older lg d2342p monitor, but works the same on this. The resultant improvement in 3D is huge, add so much to games like 'DMC devil my cry' and 'tomb raider', so much so that im sure it cant be too far off from the quality of a legit Nvidia 3D setup; all at a fraction of the cost!!!
This isn't perfect however, there is still some crosstalk going on but I think that's due to software factors and not the monitor itself.

Thanks for reading!
on 5 May 2013
This is an excellent product for the price.The 3d exceeded my expectation and the fact that its ips is a plus.You can also lock the OSD after making adjustment which is cool.I would recommend it to anyone
on 25 November 2013
Just got this and from my first few uses it seems an excellent buy! 3d is very good (played via HDMI on a PS3). Setup was simple, straight out of the box.

Lost one star because 1) no sound (speakers needed) and no dedicated volume button 2) the two pairs of glasses supplied do not support dual play as I was led to believe, although you'll pick up a pair of dual play glasses for under 20.

Otherwise great.
on 13 December 2013
Once again LG have come up with the goods. I wanted a reasonably priced 3D monitor for my PC and I am very happy with this one. The picture is sharp and can be changed to accommodate different types of 3D images. You do need the right type of 3D glasses to view some of the images, but again these are relatively inexpensive for the excellent results that you get. Thsi monitor is great for viewing Blu-ray films and documentaries. Well packed and delivered well on time. Five Stars all the way.
on 20 January 2014
An amazingly low price for such a great addition to my iMac. Using an HDMI cable I now have two monitors which in itself is very useful but with the ability to watch 3D movies (in various forms) and view 3D images I am absolutely delighted. I don't play games so cannot comment on that. The 2D to 3D is incredible allowing me to enjoy previously viewed material in a very passable 3D mode.
on 2 January 2014
Of course the contrast, brightness etc on this monitor is fantastic. Passive 3D, which usually shows hideous interlacing on big screens, works well on this small display due to the size and the distance you sit from the monitor.
on 18 February 2014
First off, this is a great monitor. I've watched 3D movies on it and the picture is sharp and, depending on the movie, the 3D effect is solid. For 2D gaming and movies, I can't complain at all. This does exactly what I expect of a quality product. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase. There are enough options and inputs to satisfy all but the most demanding of videophiles.
I'm giving the monitor 5 stars, but that doesn't mean my experience overall has been perfect. The monitor still deserves those stars, however, because the particular problem I have is more to do with Nvidia than LG themselves. You see, I used to own an LG 3DTV and, with the purchase of Nvidia's 3DTV Play software, I was able to happily play 3D games on it.
Having sold the TV before a move from overseas, I was looking for a replacement that would allow me to continue gaming and watching movies in 3D.
Assuming I'd be able to use the same software to do likewise on this monitor, I opted to get it instead of a new LG TV. However, after weeks of back-and-forth, I was told by Nvidia that 3DTV PLAY is only valid for use with 3DTVs and that, if I wanted to continue gaming in 3D on this monitor, I would need to buy the 3D Vision Kit.
I'm not inclined to hand over about 110 pounds for something I was doing just a few months ago and had already payed $50 US for. So, despite owning this great 3D monitor, a suitable video card, and 3D compatible games, I'm afraid I'm limited to just watching 3D movies and gaming in 2D only.
As I said, that's no fault of LG, but I just wanted to put it out there to make other buyers in a similar situation aware:
If you're moving from 3D gaming on a TV (with 3DTV Play) to 3D gaming on this monitor, expect to have to pay for the full 3D Vision Kit.
Nvidia are horribly greedy for doing things this way. I'll be rethinking giving them any future business.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2014
Purchased the LG 3D monitor to playback media taken with a fuji 3D camcorder, to replace my old pc monitor & to occasionally hook up with my ps3 for gaming. The picture quality has actually surpassed my expectations- for the price. 3D photos that are taken with a 3D cam really do 'pop out' the screen (when taken at the right angle). The monitor can convert ANY normal 2D photograph into 3D although the 3d depth/effect is minimal but quite impressive all the same. Gaming with ps3 has really taken me by surprise. Basically, the monitor will convert ANYTHING on screen into 3D with a flick of the '2D to 3D' button- including youtube video. The only downside is that there are no speakers or remote control although i do understand this is a monitor & not a tv. The button settings can be confusing at times too as they are placed under the screen with minimal etchings around the frame. The low price & brand persuaded me to purchase. And NO 3D content is needed, ie; 3D blu ray etc... as the monitor can transform all onscreen content.
on 13 March 2014
I'm a big fan of LG tvs, and I wasn't disappointed this time either. Great colors and contrast, loving it. Menu Buttons are a bit hard to operate, but I'm sure I'll get used to them. As a warning, it can't be used with nVidia 3d technology with the eyeglasses provided, as that technology only uses active eyeglasses. Either turn on the 2D->3D conversion (which works pretty well), or buy active eyeglasses.