Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

VINE VOICEon 13 June 2013
Spoiler alert!!!

The story was so far fetched and daft! I only perservered as there were some seriously frightening episodes that really creeped me out, which is why it got 2 stars.
There were way too many people hearing voices - including people who worked at the asylum, not just the patients. It was just completely stupid when she managed to perform a brain transplant on herself.
I have another of Cross's books on my kindle and I just can't bring myself to read it.
on 8 August 2013
I can honestly say this is by far the worst book I have had the misfortune to read! and I have read many.I am never one to give up on a book as they often take time to develop character and plot this book had no room to grow. The plot characters and writing were far fetched, implausible and just downright silly. It felt like it had been written by an 11year old.The final straw was when Nurse Winter having fallen three floors through a collapsing burning building performed brain surgery on herself without anesthetic!!!!! Dont waste your time reading this I wish I hadn't.
on 1 April 2013
A brilliant story, fairly well written with original collection of characters. The imagination of Amy Cross knows no bounds as some of the chapters are truly, TRULY disturbing, ( I am still thinking about beetles and cockroaches now) none of the characters are likeable but you want to see how they develop.

The novel is written from the first person perspective by all of the main characters, the chapters jump back and forth in time and between characters. The only real gripe I have and a reason for the 4 stars is that it can be hard to follow. Sometimes the chapters repeat with a little bit of development from the previous reading giving the reader an insight into character motivations. It can look contrived at times but overall I found it worked well and all served as a reminder of what had happened previously.

I looked at authors website and I noticed Ms Cross is a big fan of Stephen King. Although there are echoes of his craft I found this to be a really refreshing and original read. Yes, there are problems with spelling and grammar but it has to be remembered that this lady is self published. The are also complaints regarding description and character outline but I think that Asylum is driven by plot and it just allows my imagination to conjure images of these characters. What is more important are the events, how they are perceived by the characters and the feel of the central location. The feeling of loneliness and despair are palpable and although most of the characters are morally lacking in the extreme it is easy to understand why. This leaves the reader to first see this person for their evil deeds, then later to discover the backgrounds.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable read with an original storyline and absolutely no way of guessing how it ends.
on 18 August 2014
this is a real "Marmite" book, you will either love it, or hate it. Personally it was so far fetched that I just got to the point where I switched off when reading it, repetitive to the point where the entire plot each character heard voices etc. Though I did enjoy the back stories that went with this, I just feel that if more thought had gone into it, and a better sense of direction then this book would have been fantastic. Sadly it is not a book I would recommend, as it was neither scary, jumpy or creepy in any sense.
on 29 May 2013
i read this book in two days. i couldnt put it down. it is gripping and full of twists. this is what horror should be like. i loved it
on 26 March 2013
Oh my goodness, what a fantastic read. I downloaded this as it was under £2 for the 8 books but I didn't really expect much from it and thought it would be one of those buys that sits in my library until I am really desperate. Well, what a very pleasant surprise. I haven't been able to put it down and am now working my way through the last book and I don't think I'll be dissapointed with the ending. There are so many twists and turns throughout, not predictable in the least (well, not for me anyway!) I would say it's not a summer read (perfect for this past weekend being snowed in!), and because of the style of the book, you can't really read it intermittently as each chapter and book skips from past and present and from different characters perspectives. Also, most definatley not for the younger readers!! All in all, I would highly recommend and I shall most definitely be purchasing some more books from this author. As an avid reader of all genres, I'm surprised I haven't heard of her before.
on 25 July 2013
This book is written in the first person, a style I do not normally like, but this book has become the exception. I was drawn into the book by the first chapter and then became confused as it seemed to lead on to a different story but this becomes very clear as the book progresses.

I don't want to say any more as it will spoil the plot. the language may offend some people but even if it does it is worth beocoming oblivious to the words that offend and become embroilled in all the twists and turns of the plot.

I have not read a book written in this style before but I am more than happy to read every book written by this author. Her work is though provoking both for the characters and how you have become the person you are.

In many ways this book is, and contains content that I avoid and yet it is one of the best books in modern literature I have read. Please give it a go you won't regret it.
on 16 March 2013
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest had a bastard offspring with a goblin from Stephen King's psyche and this book happened.

Whilst bits of the writing feel a little contrived and generic, and the character development isn't exactly sparkling, the twists and turns of the plot make up for it.

This is not a book for anyone who can't keep up with multiple stories happening simultaneously. Or era changes. But once you've accepted the fact that you're having to deal with a bunch of different voices telling the same story, it really works. Considering that much of the plot is about voices in people's heads, it's actually pretty appropriate. Oh, and it is FULL of typos. But it's free, so you just get over it.

I love horror and bizarro, and thoroughly enjoyed this. It's weird, gets inside your head, and the extra story at the end was amazing until it reached modern day.
on 19 June 2013
I downloaded this collection after reading the first book for free on my kindle, although I enjoyed the novellas as individual stories I felt that the inter-relation of the stories was confusing, and after reading them all, one after the other like a novel, I had more questions than answers.
on 12 August 2014
I found this book to be extremely gripping. I became engrossed in the story and read it in less than 24 hours. The central storylines involving Annie and Nurse Winter were brilliant, but I found at the end that I was left with more questions than answers. I hope there is a sequel to tie up loose ends.

I felt that certain plot elements weren't fully developed. I wasn't sure what Dr. Lava contributed to the story, as if you skipped those chapters the story would have just continued on and still made sense. Within Nurse Winter's story about her past, I found it difficult to separate reality from her delusions (beetles anyone?) and I felt it was never fully explained what had happened to Annie's brother.

Overall I enjoyed this book, and I feel the author has a lot of promise, but the style of writing needs some refinement.