4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but with reservations
Great sound - I'm not an audio-nerd, but all the stations on DAB sound crystal clear to me. I lose the reception occasionally, like when in a building and the sound can 'pixelate' at other random times for a fraction of a second, but this is really nit-picking. The sound is good for talking stations and music stations.

Also the volume is easily high enough...
Published 21 months ago by SAP

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor reception
Published 21 months ago by Debs

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor reception, 6 Mar 2013
Debs "Little Chef" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Aves Air AIR8021010 Digital Handheld DAB DAB+ FM Radio with LCD Display (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this radio. I have a very lengthy daily commute and thought it would be lovely to listen to my favourite stations to help pass the time; however, the poor reception put an end to this idea. I tried it first at home - no stations picked up at all on DAB although a fairly clear FM signal was achieved. I wasn't too worried about the lack of DAB stations - I am a little in the country, and although my full size DAB radio picks them up, I thought maybe it was asking a little too much to expect a small radio like this to pick them up as easily. So I did not deduct ratings for this.

However, when I tried it in London, the situation was not much better, I'm afraid. If I stayed perfectly still, I could pick up a fair number of stations on both FM and DAB, but if I moved at all, it lost the stations and treated me to a blast of static noise instead. This made it pretty much useless as a radio for commuting. However, if you are wanting to listen to it while stationary (sitting at your desk or on a park bench maybe) it will probably be fine for you.

It comes with a nice fabric case to protect it and the headphone cable is long enough to allow you to put it in a pocket and listen comfortably. As one other reviewer said, you do need to depress and hold the power button for a couple of seconds before it switches on so don't just press it once and then wonder why your radio does not seem to be working! One other thing is that the headphones are very rigid and uncomfortable so you may want to replace these with headphones of better quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but with reservations, 24 Feb 2013
SAP "Steba" (Wales) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Also the volume is easily high enough. Some devices come with a limit due to bizarre EU regulations. I won't need the top volumes, but it is nice to know they are there. I get by on volume 6 when out walking in a city centre - I don't know how high it goes, but even up to 10 would be impressive.

Obviously you can have favourite stations. You can pre-set 10 stations. Press Preset, choose them, then press Select. Irritatingly, sometimes this works and sometimes, without explanation, and with no error message, it doesn't. It can only be a bug. I jiggle the arrows to 'pretend' I am choosing a pre-set number, eventually settling on the one I wanted all along, and this usually does it. Anyway, once it's done, it's done, so this problem only occurs once.

It has some safety features. You don't just press any button to use it, you have to press and HOLD for about two seconds. I suppose this stops accidental pressing. There is also a Key Lock feature that disables all buttons. Press On/Off and Info together and you get a key symbol on screen and all buttons locked. I have a Sansa Clip+ music player that is good but doesn't have this feature!

I also like the portable size/weight of this device. I have a so-called "portable" Robert's DAB from about 5 years ago that is about 2-3 times the size of this which means I have never used it on the go as it doesn't fit in a pocket! This does.

Now the bad - the UI is quite poor. Take the menus. The menus scroll up/down but the buttons to navigate them are left/right?! You couldn't make it up! Also, when you scroll over a station it AUTOMATICALLY selects it without you pressing Select, so you can't just idly browse. Not exactly Apple standard.

I get 39 stations here - this is good. The instructions come in a little booklet. They are quite thorough. But the word 'intuitive' certainly couldn't be applied to this device. I would also have liked a pause button because this device takes 11 seconds to boot up each time. So I improvise by yanking the earphones out. It would be nice just to mute/pause like when I go in a shop or when someone talks to me.

I expected this to charge via USB but it actually takes two AAAs (not included). I have rechargeable ones, so I am not concerned. It is better in some ways as it isn't necessary to be near a computer to get the device working again should it lose power - just carry spare batteries.

The earphones - they are basic. No moulding rubber or foam, just hard plastic. They sound acceptable, even good, but they don't stay in well. I swapped them with some Sony in-ear headphones with an arm than wraps securely round the ear. I won't say how much they cost as putting prices in my review will delay its publication by about six months.

It looks OK, but I'm not sure about the black-and-grey check pattern on the front - is it trying to look like carbon fibre? The build quality is also quite cheap and cheerful. More plastic. You get a "microfibre" pouch with drawstring to put it in, but... why? Why put it in a cloth bag? To keep it warm?

Lastly, the running text information for the stations runs at about a letter per second which means I lose the will to live before I can read a single sentence. No way to speed it up. The screen is a nice size. I like backlit LCD screens. Something retro about them. The light automatically switches off after, say, 20 seconds.

Battery power guide: I have been using my radio for FIVE hours now and the battery symbol is still showing at 100%. This is certainly encouraging. The playback claim is 8 hours on new batteries. It is nice to know that you get quite a bang for your buck with this little corker.

(Apologies for using the word 'device' too many times in this review.)

In the end this serves its purpose, but it isn't a masterpiece of engineering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aves FAB not DRAB radio, 28 July 2014
Mitch (Twickenham) - See all my reviews
I was a little disappointed at first with the quality of the display as it was advertised as new but there were numerous scratches over it leading me to think this may have been a reconditioned item. However, I decided to give it a go. I plugged in the earphones, turned it on and immediately the DAB radio locked on to and held a multiple of stations. The sound quality is very good with rich sounds and no interference on the DAB setting. I switched it over to the FM setting and was pleasantly surprised. Stations were easily picked up and once again the sound quality was good with little or no interference. The earphones don't appear to be the best quality so I used a pair of my own and it had no trouble picking up the DAB/FM stations. After switching off the radio, it stores the previous stations which have already been scanned and there is not need to scan each time it is turned on. After reading a number of reviews where purchasers have also been disappointed about the issue of scratches, I decided to take a closer look. If you pick away at the very edge of the screen, you will see that this had been protected with a thin layer of film and the same can be said with the area beneath the controls. Peel this off and you can immediately see a clear scratch free surface. Overall, I am very satisfied with this radio and would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact,lightweight &portable a smart way to access digital radio., 3 Mar 2013
Marco Busani "Proven Intellect" (Edgware, London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been quite impressed with the Aves digital radio.
It fits neatly inside my internal coat pocket so I don't have to have the headphone leads trailing to far.The headphones are a comfortable enough fit as well.The headphones double up as your aerial.

Sound quality is good and you can adjust volume from a setting of between 1-20.The main display offers you time,date function,battery meter and info about the radio station your on. For example,if you are on LBC it will tell you who the host is.You can also find out radio signal strength.

Just had a quick count of the number of radio stations available to me and I counted some 59,so you won't be short of choice with this device.Battery life is supposed to be 8 hours and it takes AAA x2 batteries.The device is easy enough to set up and automatically found all these radio stations for me upon switching on the device.

There are a couple of small negatives:firstly,the instructions do not make it clear that in order to switch the device on or off you need to keep the on/off button depressed for a few seconds,rather than just pressing down once.I initially thought that my device was faulty at first, until I overcome this lemon moment and figured it out!

Secondly, depending on where you travel you can sometimes lose digital radio signal so you won't have access to this device all the time when you are commuting.

All in all,this is a smart device that offers a viable alternative to listening to music from a phone or reading. In fact,I've been combining this alongside reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little radio, 6 Oct 2014
Nice little radio that gives good reception. Couple of little "niggles" until I got used to it. The list of stations is vertical but when you want to scroll through them you have to use the left and right arrows. The first few times I used it I pressed Scan which, of course, meant that the radio would scan all through the stations again. When you turn it on you have to hold your finger on the button for at least four seconds, I found this out after thinking that the radio wasn't working. You also have to hold for about the same amount of time to turn it off. When scrolling through the stations each one you stop on will automatically change which can be annoying but there is a way of changing it so that you can scroll but still stay on the station you are listening to so you need to press the Select button to choose the station. It's very good on rechargeable batteries as I sometimes have it on for hours at a time and it lasts several days. You can download the user guide from the Aves website which is very useful as a backup to the little book that comes with it. All in all a good little radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent portable DAB radio, 26 Feb 2013
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't want an Ipod! I don't want an FM Radio! I want this!

At last I can listen to Radio 4 extra and Premier or UCB on the go!

At long last I have a personal DAB radio (which can be switched to give FM as well, but defaults to DAB).

If like me you wanted a personal DAB radio, this is an absolutely excellent piece of kit. It feels good in the hand - it has sufficient mass for you to know when it slips out of your pocket. It has 10 preset stations on DAB and 10 on FM.

The traditional DAB data displays are all available and the volume control is on the right hand side of the unit in the form of an "Up" button and a "down" button.

The only negative about the unit is the lack of any tone controls. DAB is of such good quality that it can appear a bit bright and it would have been good to lower the treble output a little, but, the ear soon adjusts.

This is such a good quality product that I would unreservedly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reception. Compact, nice sound., 5 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have tried two or three portable DAB radios previously but always struggled to get a decent signal in the rural part of Norfolk I live in. As it is a couple of years since I tried one I thought I would give this device a go to see if things have improved.

I took this out of the box, put in the batteries, removed the plastic covering from the top and bottom of the front of the unit (these covers are not obvious apart from the scratching on them and a little tricky to remove). Plugged in a decent set of headphones. The on/off switch has to be pressed for a few seconds. The unit sprang into life and set about automatically scanning for DAB stations. My main radio listening interest is BBC speech stations so I was delighted to find that it had located Radio 4, Radio 4Extra and Radio 5. This was indoors where previous units have failed to even find the stations - so a big plus for the Aves Radio. I listened to a couple of programmes as I wandered about the house and got no drop out at all.

I then tested the unit outdoors when I spent an afternoon in the garden. Again no drop out at all - apart from one apparently dead spot in an outbuilding where I consistently lost signal. But overall I was hugely impressed with the ability of this device to pick up signal and keep it.

Sound quality is good. I listened to music as well as speech to check this and was impressed with the quality from this little device. It comes with a little carry pouch which is ideal for me when I want to slip it into my pocket but avoid scratching it with keys etc. It is also extremely light.

The only negative is that the controls seem, especially in the touch screen age, very old fashioned and slow to respond. But as I am not using these controls very much - turn it on, choose your station and listen - I don't regard this negative as worth reducing my rating from 5 stars. I've not come across Aves until fairly recently but now have two of their products and they seem to be producing some very serviceable well priced kit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bakc to the seller., 11 Jan 2014
This Handheld radio looks the business. Very compact and seems pretty straight forward.
We were unable to pick up DAB even though we have two other DAB radios in the house. Returned.

3.0 out of 5 stars a nifty portable radio, 12 April 2013
T. J. Bacon "TJB" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
DAB is a fickle beast in the beast of equipment. When it works, it far outstrips FM for quality of sound, but its reliability to be picked up (received) in all situations fails in comparison to FM.

Everyone needs to be aware of this when they purchase any DAB based equipment to make sure they are in a good zone of coverage. With that said however a portable device is problematic as you are going to be constantly on the move, and DAB is being quickly competed with by WIFI & 4G based internet radio. However there is still a market for it for those who do not have access to the equipment capable of receiving such technology (or more importantly who have price plans on their phones that make it somewhat restrictive to constantly listen to on 4G).

Step in the AVES HANDHELD. It's a simple to use to piece of equipment with a basic and clear (large in fact) button based operation. It is importantly capable of receiving both FM and DAB and can save up to 20 presets. The major issue for me is that it relies on the headphone wire as being the ariel - this was never very consistent when this concept first appeared years ago, so you may still find times when you can't get a signal. That said after leaving the product with my mother for well over a month she has really found a lot of use for it and enjoys taking it on her travels. She finds it easy to use and can always pick up a signal from one of the major BBC stations.

Though we are yet to test this, the device is also said to be able to double up the headphone socket as an aux socket therefore allowing you to connect DAB to potentially an old car radio (as a potentially cheap upgrade). But it is the standalone cost as nothing more than a portable gizmo that I feel lets the product down somewhat as to simply only be able to receive radio on a portable device (in market swamped with a multitude of devices) makes it harder to justify the full RRP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really impressed by the sound, 6 April 2013
Welsh Annie (Wetherby) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really impressed by this little radio - more stations and better reception than my larger and expensive DAB radios at home. Crystal clear reception, good volume, battery life acceptable, fairly intuitive to operate (once you work out you need to keep your finger on buttons a tad longer than you might expect - but it prevents accidental operation). The headphones aren't great - do I perhaps have unusually small ears? - but it worked fine with the transferred headphones from my iPod. Very easy to set favourite stations, and the instructions are good. It does have an unfortunately cheap appearance, and despite the bag the front screen is already scratched - perhaps by squeezing it in + out of the bag. Slightly high price maybe for appearance quality - hence the four stars - but I would recommend if you do your listening on the move,the sound is superb.