5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value with an astoundingly good lens, 4 Mar 2014
R. J. de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fujifilm X-E1 Digital Camera with XF18-55mm Lens Kit - Black (16MP with APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I have been wanting to upgrade my aging DSLR's for some time and just around a year ago bought an EPL-1 which I quite liked, but really wanted something better. I have used just about every kind of camera over the last 40 years and really like the retro looks of most of the mirrorless cameras around. However, I wanted value for money and a viewfinder, which I find easier to use when walking about. The fuji X-pro 1 was my original choice, over the OMD range from olympus and decided on the 18 - 55mm lense. I then discovered the X E1 which is not too dissimilar and more or less equals it in specs - at least the specifications that I value: with the kit lense, there is a considerable saving and the lense makes all of the difference when considering the quality of the photographs produced. The X E1 is plain to look at and I ordered the all black model and a handgrip that I have reviewed elswhere: this does make a positive difference to the handling, but is not essential unless you have big hands, as I do.

The camera body is surprisingly light until you add the 18-55mm lense which add just over 300g to the weight. The lense comes with a tulip lensehood and a book of instructions. The lense / camera combination allows you to operate fully manually, or automatically in aperture or shutter priority. There is an exposure compensation dial +/- 2 stops on the top of the camera which makes it very easy to operate. Shutter speeds of 1/4000s sec to T and B are also on a dial at the top and you can choose between the electronic viewfinder or the display back which reviews say is 2.8 inches and other information says is 3.0 inches: no matter, it is quite good, allowing you to choose a range of screens and levels of information. The EVF works well and is very bright and clear. The onboard flash is GN7 - 22 feet and does not clear the lenshood - a minor point for me, but could be important for others. There is a hot shoe mount next to the onboard flash.

I have spent a little while going through the manual and getting used to the camera, before starting to use although it is pretty intuitive to use straight out of the box - you do need to charge the battery first, so you might as well go through it then. Handling is good/very good and the kit lense, with a retail price in the high 400's is no cheapie: it is no less than excellent. Some reviews have criticised it for slow AF speeds, but I have not seen any appreciable lag, but I do not do action shots, normally. I include some test shots with the review: these are very slightly cropped, but otherwise no other editing was done; they are jpegs shot in natural light. I also include a comparison shot of the X-E1 with my old Nikon FM - they are of similar size with the Nikon being only slightly heavier (this was shot on the EPL1). The tonal range, straight out of the camera into lightroom was really good, but these are test shots, not works of art.

Finally, why buy the X-E1 rather than the X-Pro1 or the newly released X-E2: basically, you are saving a great deal of money for getting only marginally less in terms of camera specifications and quality. Reviews for the X-E1 are very good and I do not think you will be dissappointed by not having the latest on the market: combined with the 18-55 kit lense, this is a very good camera. The only downside that I can find, so far, is that there is no flash sync, but a secondary market adapter can solve that, if necessary, for around a fiver. If you are thinking of buying a more compact camera to carry around, this is certainly one to consider. I have given it 5 stars, because, all-in-all, it is an excellent camera for the money and few cameras are perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for Fujifilm X-E1 Kit with 18-55mm lens, 24 Mar 2013
Anastasios Papatsoris (Greece) - See all my reviews
A wonderful camera for the purist. This Fuji blends a traditional film camera layout, an all metal chassis, the most capable digital APS-C sensor to-date and couples that to an optically excellent lens with amazing clarity, sharpness and bokeh. My congratulations to Fujifilm for listening to photographers and for making a great camera for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great little kit, 22 May 2013
I love this little camera and zoom lens. Great for street photos as people just seem to ignore it! A reviewer elsewhere says this is better than a Leica but for far less money. Could well be true. I also love my Nikons but this is small enough and light enough to carry everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujifilm X-E1 Kit with 18-55mm lens., 15 Jun 2013
G. D. Shaw "Doug Shaw" (Scarborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Speed of delivery was astonishing, it arrived by special delivery 2 days after ordering and 6 days before the earliest estimated delivery date. The camera is superb, in terms of clarity of image it is vastly superior to other DSLRs I have owned and that is on the basis of one day's experience and before I have got to grips with all the functions that it offers. I wish I had owned this camera years ago.

ARRAY(0xa0bc4450)