on 3 January 2013
Very enjoyable, at times funny books good to read on dark winter nights. - Montalbano is a humane, grouchy and funny man (with a touch of Columbo); as are his men. Plus, the books give a good 'flavour' of Sicilians and their land. I also appreciated the explanations of Italian sphrases at the end of the books. I'll certainly read some more of this series, if not all.
on 14 May 2012
A right royal romp through Montalbano land. The descriptions of people, emotions, food, scenery, buildings and even animals, are exquisite. The TV series follows the books almost to the letter and reading the book after having seen the TV version or vice-versa actually adds to the experience. Unlike some of the single book editions, this one has been proof read and it's excellent value. The only downside is that I keep on reading long after I should be asleep and do a fair impression of Salvo at his most miserable the following day.
on 24 January 2013
I love these books because they are so different. If you read detective/crime stories regularly as I do then you are in for a treat but only if you keep an open mind. These stories are not hard core, deep delving pyschological killer thrillers. There is murder, mystery and crime solving but in a totally roundabout way. There is a lightness to the structure - perhaps due to translation - and the events sometimes jump about which for me added to their 'charm'. There are many mafia killings which just seem to be part and parcel of the everyday Scilian policeman's life, with evidence, forensics and everything else associated with the crime being dealt with in a very offhand way by Inspector Montalbano and his team. Do not despair at their methods and apparent disregard for procedure. Try not to compare with other crime stories, simply enjoy the journey to the final satisfying conclusion.
on 25 February 2014
I loved all the Montalbano episodes on BBC4, which led me to start reading some of the books I already had. Pleased to report the films are faithful to the books, which is often not the case. Like Donna Leon's hero, Montalbano also considers food of the highest importance - so there are many descriptions of mouth-watering dishes. Camilleri seems to have written much more than is presently translated into English, though; & my Italian's not good enough to read in the original. I bought this for a friend who's been to Sicily. I keep being told I must visit...
on 7 February 2013
After enjoying the T.V series and feeling warmed and charmed by the places an characters, I am overwhelmed and fascinated by the people and culture of Sicily.
Not only do the books touch me with the heat and wind of the country but also make me hungry for the place (literally).
on 10 March 2016
The first three Montalbano novels rolled into one book. You follow the food-loving Sicilian sleuth through some typically complex cases as he battles against the bureaucracy and corruption of the Italian state.

Cleverly plotted as always and with lovingly drawn locations. If you're familiar with the TV adaptation of Montalbano you'll recognise all of these. That doesn't detract from the stories though as there's a good deal of nuance and humour in the books that doesn't always come across on TV.
on 27 November 2013
Love these stories after watching series on BBC.
Book really thick, would have preferred them separate, but not really a big problem.
on 7 September 2015
I read these books keen to find out why this detective is so popular. I didn't like the TV dramas, and it turns out that I don't like the books either. The stories are quite good, not full of police procedure, with interesting crimes and with a dash of humour these should be right up my street. But unfortunately I can't get past my dislike of the main character - others may find a likable maverick here, but I see someone who is rude, selfish and dismissive of others. So, sorry to go against the general feeling - I read almost anything I can get my hands on but Inspector Montalbano is not for me.
on 12 October 2015
A wonderful series of novels; the Montalbano character is dry, witty, enigmatic and generous - something of a modern day Columbo. Although the TV version is well directed sadly, the actor chosen to play Montalbano (Luca Zingaretti) is no Peter Falk. He comes across as too much the hardened cop and lacks the irascibe but human nature which is such a key part of the Montalbano character. But the wonderful Sicilian locations come across just as they should and make the DVDs worth buying. Note that the series is produced with English sub titles rather than being dubbed.
on 12 February 2016
Loved the TV series, but the books are so very odd. Just dialogue, no feel for the places or the people, never read any thing quite like it. My husband is reading a paper back and l am reading on kindle, or at least l was, and we have both come to the same conclusion separately. l have given up, it is not engaging what so ever. Glad l saw the series before l read the books. Unfortunately l have three of them as a job lot on my kindle.