5.0 out of 5 stars What is this, Piledriver 8 Core Monster?
For starters i just wanted to say that the amazon description on this item isn't the full name and detail.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. Thanwa Chan

1.0 out of 5 stars Are they being serious?
CPU in an anti static bag surrounded by bubble rap, fingerprint marks and dirt. no box no heat sink, not happy
Published 1 month ago by Samuel Berry

5.0 out of 5 stars What is this, Piledriver 8 Core Monster?, 28 Dec 2013
Mr. Thanwa Chan "Tha/\/ \/\/" (Sutton, Surrey, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed) (Personal Computers)
This is a 4 module 8 logical core processor, this doesn't mean its not an 8 core processor as it is still 8 cores for processing power as well as these cores are definitely more physical than Intel's i7's Hyper threading which provides 4 virtual cores but in reality its still a quad core. It also mentions 8MB level 3 and 8MB level 2 cache in Total 16MB Cache, each module shares 2MB cache so between 2 cores it has 2MB so it works out at 1MB per core + an additional 8MB on top for all of them to share.

Anyways this is the AMD FX8350 i want to point out to a few people first that X3XX in the processor's name for the FX range of products means that its based using the Piledriver architecture which is 20-30% better overall than the original Bulldozer architecture (X1XX) so this is a major improvement over Any FX8100.

This processor is suitable for anyone who requires high multi-tasking power as well as multi-threaded work such as photoshop & video editing / multi-threaded converting. In my case i do Gaming and Streaming with abit of photoshop work and over 20+ tabs on Google Chrome (a bad habbit of mine) If you are looking for purely gaming performance i would recommend looking at Intel's overpriced i7s BUT if you are running a lower budget THIS or the FX6300 is a definite choice, It completely dominates price for performance ratio in this price range. The fact it keeps up with pretty much every single i5 which cost MORE than this processor shows how potent and sufficient this processor is in the market and industry.

I was a long time Intel user in my old gaming rig over 6 years ago (2007) i had done a few tweaks to my old system over the years but i was constantly fed up of the 90%+ usage i was getting whilst trying to watch a twitch stream running skype & having league of legends client open.

My old spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad 9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache
XFX Mobo
6GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 260 GTX 900MB 448Bit GDDR3
120GB SSD + 4TB 7200RPM HDD (i somehow filled them as well which is the crazy part)
750w PSU

This computer was actually still able to play the latest games at 60fps on medium detail and games such as League on max but the most surprising, it kept up well with the newer Tomb Raider by Square Enix with everything on high setting and filtering on 8x got a good 40-50fps
Even several months ago (now 28/12/2013) i never thought i'd say i needed an upgrade since the PC was still running well. But after seeing my system lag in Skype screenshare + twitch stream i thought my CPU was being a huge bottleneck to my entire system.

I first searched for more processing power and i looked at this extremely nicely priced AMD FX 8350 and one of the 220+ Intel i7s (i refuse to buy any i5 because it will keep annoying me that the fact i can get a better processor from the tree branch) I didn't know much at first about AMD's processors the last PC i had an AMD in was when Dual cores never existed, haha infact i never seen a processor even have more than 2GHz clockspeed. So i saw the selling points 4GZ tick, 16MB Cache tick, price tick but then i did my research on their architectures, features, single and mutli-threading performance and many other forums.
i7s may appear better in benchmarks but the question is what are you needs?

I decided to get an AMD FX8350 in the end in my new system rig concluded i need a huge upgrade and i can tell you my old system was fast but this is a new level. I never even thought it was possible to have and see a smoother experience on just the Windows 7 OS.

This processor exceeded my expectations by over 4 times when i first got it and running i COULD NOT get it past 60% USAGE until i was really trying when i first ordered it was i only expecting a double the power performance increase guess i was wrong, it basically tanked anything i threw at it.

My new Gaming Rig's specs:
AMD FX8350 Piledriver 8 Core 4GHz 16MB Cache
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
8GB Kingston HyperX 2133MHz DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 260 GTX 900MB 448Bit GDDR3 (switching out to a AMD R9 270x 4GB Dual-X GDDR5 today/tomorrow)
120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + all my old HDDs and 1 extra OCZ SSD Dedicated to games.
650w OCZ PSU

the only way i can find to get the CPU past 60% usage is to run a benchmark whilst using your PC as normal or do Photoshop rendering and it still runs smooth even when doing that and getting it to touch 80-90% usage.
Another one of my daily task was a typical Skype call + Screenshare, running Twitch Stream on second monitor and having the League of Legends client open in the background (the client on my old pc sat at 20% usage for no reason your not even playing a game) on my old PC running all this would have my old PC sitting at 100% usage... this AMD FX 8350 didn't even touch 30% doing all this. I was absolutely shocked when i saw this. Twitch alone used alot of CPU and same for Screenshare from Skype. This one just tanks anything you throw at it and runs your entire PC smoothly as well.

Total Rig cost me 690 (520 not including the GC i ordered) and my old rig from 2007 cost me 1100.

I'd honestly recommend this CPU to anyone for whatever you needs, I was impressed with its single threaded performance as well, loading games was also quick (regardless of SSD or not) Loading speed on League was higher, same for World of Tanks which is currently a single threaded game, i load up the games at the same time as my friend who has the Haswell i7 4k series but he doesn't have an SSD. But i still paid less overall compared to him for my new PC which seems to give the same performance (980 was the cost for his rig) I paid 290 less than he did and we seem to get the same performance in every single game we played.

These processors is also the way forward as i see that the PS4 and Xbox One have also picked up 8 core processors from AMD. We can expect games from the future to be properly multi-treaded so that the games we can play actually use's this Processor's full potential.

Gamer or not this CPU is by far the best CPU in this price range. If anyone is concerned about Power consumption by this CPU then purchase a better motherboard which offers autoclocking features so it de-clocks your CPU when u are just idle on the desktop to something like 1.4GHz, makes the CPU run much cooler as well. It will also clock it back up to 4/4.2GHz when u need it. I found this feature really useful as i generally like to leave my PC on all night to run downloads. I am happy to know that it can run quieter, cooler and consume less energy at night now.

To make things short and simple for those who didn't understand everything, if you are a casual user rather than an advance/enthusiast user this Processor will 100% meet your needs, absolutely nothing bad i can say about it.

Currently working with computers, I've studied IT for 1 Year, did IT back in my Highschool days, and been using computers since the day i can remember. Over a decade and a half experience with Computer hardware and software, out of my friends and family i am the hardware specialist. Dispite my out of date rig i have been making alot of custom built PCs for all my friends and family so i have been using newer parts as well so this isn't all new and gloomy to me past year i've been buying AMD FX6100s, FX6300s, FX4300s for people and recommending it to them (purely based of the speed and and cache but this past month did proper research as mentioned earlier and discovered i actually made the right choices for people as those CPUs are all better than my Intel Core 2 Quad + was cheaper than my old Processor but the main point was i told them they was getting a PC on par with mine or better) I was right these FX series might have left people in disappointment but i think they are all great for their price as well.

I'd made a few things simple for you guys as well
Casual / Family User: AMD FX4300
Cheap gaming rig: AMD FX6300
Gaming / Advance Users: AMD FX8350 or Any Intel i7 (I hate i3s & i5s with a passion)

On top of all this i recommend and SSD to be added in your build as well SSDs are by far the most visible increase in performance in my lifetime experience even if you are a family user its great because you never need to defrag an SSD and i know for a fact most casual users don't even know what a Defrag is so over the year they see a performance loss in their PCs because of something simple as that. Those who need performance this is a must get, synergies well with all your other parts.

I found it stupid how Intel's i5 cost more than this processor i believe these are not worth the money, you either go cheap or expensive, i don't like how Intel decided to call it their mid range category as well and put a hefty price tag on it. Its almost like paying for their brand and thats it.

Also for those who don't know ALL FX processors come unlocked and when i say unlocked i MEAN UNLOCKED. You have access to everything using your Mobo utility and AMD's Overdrive software. My old Intel Core 2 Quad was locked at 2.5GHz... and that was 173 Processor. I should have bought the Q6600 back then as that was a whole 70.

Thanks for reading my review, i was astonished by this processor's performance i am sure any one else would be impressed by it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic CPU, better than expected!, 2 July 2013
Came on the day estimated...good start!

Anyway, I had the Phenom II x6 1090T processor, on idle 20c full load 45c (water cooled H50 push pull 2x SP120 corsair fans)
Got this, runs at a very noticeable faster speed, even though i had the 1090T OC to 4GHZ this comes with a 4GHZ as standard and just click on your turbo in BIOS and poof!!! 4.2GHZ.
now my point is that this core for some reason that is magic runs COOLER yes COOLER than the 6 core,
Idle 16c some times 14c depending on room temp which is around 22c - 25c and max load i don't even touch 40c anymore. there really is no need to clock this CPU to 5GHZ just yet as there is no game out there that needs it. but if you do have a sealed water cooler over heating will never be an issue, oh yeh make sure you get good thermal paste, it will help.
Renderring:
40mins per 15min 1080p HD video with the 1090T
17mins per 15min 1080p HD video with the FX

speaks for itself.
now i rarely use stock coolers so your temps will vary and it will always run hot with stock.

This processor for AMD is worth every penny 150 for a processor this good that rivals the best i5 chip at a fraction the cost?? it so obvious what to buy!

My rig:
NZXT Phantom 630 gaming case
16gb Corsair vengeance RAM 1600mhz
Sapphire 7870HD 2gb
Corsair 850w Modular PSU
Crosshair Formula V - Z
AMD FX8350 Black edition 8 core processor (4.2GHZ)
H50 sealed water cooling (push pull setup taking air from inside the case limiting dust that builds on the fins)
4x 200mm fans also in a push pull config keeping good air flow.

My review on the 1090T before had a good rating and i hope this review is just as helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it NOW!, 21 Sep 2013
Was close to getting a i5-3570k or the i5-4670k but went with this instead. Both this and the two I have mentioned perform extremely close to each other when gaming, but when editing/ rendering or even gaming and streaming the 8350 pulls ahead. Also with the new consoles being released soon the games will be enhanced to run more efficiently on the 8 cores which may allow the 8350 to pull ahead of the Intels. Also if your looking to get an 8305 or a 3570k then your obviously on a budget or else you would be looking to get something like a 3930k, so if your on a budget like I was then get this processor and put the money that you saved by getting it instead of the Intels towards a better graphics card. I had the choice between a 3570k and a GTX 660 or a 8350 and a GTX 670, when you look at it like this the 8350 is the clear winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 8 Feb 2013
Upgraded from a Phenom 965 and god i notice a massive difference, I've overclock this beast at 4.8ghz which is amazing. I'm using a H100i cooler which keeps my load temps under 50c. I definitely recommend if you have an AM3+ Socket.

5.0 out of 5 stars omg its quick, 4 Aug 2013
R. Frost (UK) - See all my reviews
i ordered this as replacement for my aging phenom 2 x4 965 be, which to be fair is not a bad chip still but it wasn't quite cutting it for what i was asking it to do.
so 1st i should say the 1st chip they sent me was a dud . dead as a dodo , wouldn't even POST. thankfully as i was only upgrading the chip i could just put my old one back in. there was no major inconvenience and no damage to any other components from the dud. little annoying though having paid quite a lot extra for next day delivery to have to send it back.
anyway once i got the replacement things heated up. quite literally , this chip is HOT. you will want to replace the stock cooler asap with something better and less loud. it idles at 44 degrees centigrade and last night with a 68% load spread across all 8 cores it reached 75! dont let that put you off tho . this chip is a beast. to reach said 68% load across 8 cores i was playing a game, recording that game with fraps at 1080p , while streaming it live to twicth.tv also at 1080p. and having a group skype conversation at the same time. no drop in frame rates at all and the chip only reached 68% load. its amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a processor., 29 Dec 2012
Fantastic, great bang for your buck.. Running Boinc again full speed ahead on 8 cores. searching for a cancer cure & running SETI so much quieter & cooler than the previous chip a Phenon II X4 955. This new CPU from AMD is impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piledriver :), 28 Jan 2013
Mr. C. Easton - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this product on Friday 25th Jan 13, I received it today, 28th January, after a delay in postage due to Snow / Adverse weather.

The product arrived in a lovely tin which I quickly took the top off to reveal the lovely processor staring at me. After installing it in my system, I booted up to find everything was much more snappier than my 965BE @ 3.4.
I did a WEI and received a lovely 7.8/7.8 on CPU/RAM, a .4 increase on the 965.

I've just upped the clock to 4.3GHZ and 4.5 turbo without any problems, without changing voltages on my 990FX Sabertooth R1.0 board. (The original, if you're wondering!).

Overclocking seems real easy and hopefully I can push this to 5.0 with my Noctua NH-D14 air cooler without any problems.

Overall, I love this product, for the 150 I paid, I'd surely buy this again for a new build if I ever needed it, well done AMD, you've kept me sane, I was about to run to intel until I saw this amazing offer.

AMD isnt out of the race yet guys...

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats not to like?, 13 Mar 2014
Item came quickly and well packaged. I liked it as soon as I opened it.
Installation was kinda easy as I'm experienced - build PC's passionately.
Works flawlessly and amazes me on daily basis. It is cooled with H80i and stays around 30 and never goes over 42. fans are on around 1000RPM

I've put quite common parts together with it to have some gaming PC trying to keep performance/price ratio...

Asus MX299Q 29 inch Widescreen AH-IPS LED Multimedia Monitor
Kingston SSDNow V300 Drive x2 in RAID0 for games
Crucial CT480M500SSD1 480GB M500 for stuff
Corsair CP-9020078-UK Builder Series 750W CS750M
Vaporise V9 Blue Gaming PC ATX Computer Case

I've got 7.9 windows experience on everything without overclocking anything but CPU slightly...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant CPU (Gaming & Rendering), 1 Mar 2014
I've had this CPU just under 3 months and have had no issue so far. It runs at around 50C whilst under load but I have lots of cooling within my build. I would definitely recommend this CPU for people new to PC Gaming. I wouldn't buy this CPU again as by the time it dies, there should be a newer, faster version on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL good!, 17 Feb 2014
Arrive quickly. Over clocked it straight away to 4.5GHz no problems. could possibly go further but i only have a Turbo Evo heat sink and duel fans on it so possibilities of over heating would be to high. runs flawlessly and fast. Idle temp 10 degrees. Under stress in the 30 - 40s.

ARRAY(0xa809be7c)