5.0 out of 5 stars What is this, Piledriver 8 Core Monster?
For starters i just wanted to say that the amazon description on this item isn't the full name and detail.
Published 7 months ago by Mr. Thanwa Chan

3.0 out of 5 stars Heat issues
The processor itself is epic but then I seem to have a issue with my CPU reaching high temps. Would recommend getting a different cooler and a well ventilated case.
Published 4 days ago by Charlie R.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is this, Piledriver 8 Core Monster?, 28 Dec 2013
Mr. Thanwa Chan "Tha/\/ \/\/" (Sutton, Surrey, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor (4.0/4.2GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 8MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 125W, Retail Boxed) (Personal Computers)
This is a 4 module 8 logical core processor, this doesn't mean its not an 8 core processor as it is still 8 cores for processing power as well as these cores are definitely more physical than Intel's i7's Hyper threading which provides 4 virtual cores but in reality its still a quad core. It also mentions 8MB level 3 and 8MB level 2 cache in Total 16MB Cache, each module shares 2MB cache so between 2 cores it has 2MB so it works out at 1MB per core + an additional 8MB on top for all of them to share.

Anyways this is the AMD FX8350 i want to point out to a few people first that X3XX in the processor's name for the FX range of products means that its based using the Piledriver architecture which is 20-30% better overall than the original Bulldozer architecture (X1XX) so this is a major improvement over Any FX8100.

This processor is suitable for anyone who requires high multi-tasking power as well as multi-threaded work such as photoshop & video editing / multi-threaded converting. In my case i do Gaming and Streaming with abit of photoshop work and over 20+ tabs on Google Chrome (a bad habbit of mine) If you are looking for purely gaming performance i would recommend looking at Intel's overpriced i7s BUT if you are running a lower budget THIS or the FX6300 is a definite choice, It completely dominates price for performance ratio in this price range. The fact it keeps up with pretty much every single i5 which cost MORE than this processor shows how potent and sufficient this processor is in the market and industry.

I was a long time Intel user in my old gaming rig over 6 years ago (2007) i had done a few tweaks to my old system over the years but i was constantly fed up of the 90%+ usage i was getting whilst trying to watch a twitch stream running skype & having league of legends client open.

My old spec:
Intel Core 2 Quad 9300 2.5GHz 6MB Cache
XFX Mobo
6GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 260 GTX 900MB 448Bit GDDR3
120GB SSD + 4TB 7200RPM HDD (i somehow filled them as well which is the crazy part)
750w PSU

This computer was actually still able to play the latest games at 60fps on medium detail and games such as League on max but the most surprising, it kept up well with the newer Tomb Raider by Square Enix with everything on high setting and filtering on 8x got a good 40-50fps
Even several months ago (now 28/12/2013) i never thought i'd say i needed an upgrade since the PC was still running well. But after seeing my system lag in Skype screenshare + twitch stream i thought my CPU was being a huge bottleneck to my entire system.

I first searched for more processing power and i looked at this extremely nicely priced AMD FX 8350 and one of the 220+ Intel i7s (i refuse to buy any i5 because it will keep annoying me that the fact i can get a better processor from the tree branch) I didn't know much at first about AMD's processors the last PC i had an AMD in was when Dual cores never existed, haha infact i never seen a processor even have more than 2GHz clockspeed. So i saw the selling points 4GZ tick, 16MB Cache tick, price tick but then i did my research on their architectures, features, single and mutli-threading performance and many other forums.
i7s may appear better in benchmarks but the question is what are you needs?

I decided to get an AMD FX8350 in the end in my new system rig concluded i need a huge upgrade and i can tell you my old system was fast but this is a new level. I never even thought it was possible to have and see a smoother experience on just the Windows 7 OS.

This processor exceeded my expectations by over 4 times when i first got it and running i COULD NOT get it past 60% USAGE until i was really trying when i first ordered it was i only expecting a double the power performance increase guess i was wrong, it basically tanked anything i threw at it.

My new Gaming Rig's specs:
AMD FX8350 Piledriver 8 Core 4GHz 16MB Cache
ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0
8GB Kingston HyperX 2133MHz DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 260 GTX 900MB 448Bit GDDR3 (switching out to a AMD R9 270x 4GB Dual-X GDDR5 today/tomorrow)
120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + all my old HDDs and 1 extra OCZ SSD Dedicated to games.
650w OCZ PSU

the only way i can find to get the CPU past 60% usage is to run a benchmark whilst using your PC as normal or do Photoshop rendering and it still runs smooth even when doing that and getting it to touch 80-90% usage.
Another one of my daily task was a typical Skype call + Screenshare, running Twitch Stream on second monitor and having the League of Legends client open in the background (the client on my old pc sat at 20% usage for no reason your not even playing a game) on my old PC running all this would have my old PC sitting at 100% usage... this AMD FX 8350 didn't even touch 30% doing all this. I was absolutely shocked when i saw this. Twitch alone used alot of CPU and same for Screenshare from Skype. This one just tanks anything you throw at it and runs your entire PC smoothly as well.

Total Rig cost me 690 (520 not including the GC i ordered) and my old rig from 2007 cost me 1100.

I'd honestly recommend this CPU to anyone for whatever you needs, I was impressed with its single threaded performance as well, loading games was also quick (regardless of SSD or not) Loading speed on League was higher, same for World of Tanks which is currently a single threaded game, i load up the games at the same time as my friend who has the Haswell i7 4k series but he doesn't have an SSD. But i still paid less overall compared to him for my new PC which seems to give the same performance (980 was the cost for his rig) I paid 290 less than he did and we seem to get the same performance in every single game we played.

These processors is also the way forward as i see that the PS4 and Xbox One have also picked up 8 core processors from AMD. We can expect games from the future to be properly multi-treaded so that the games we can play actually use's this Processor's full potential.

Gamer or not this CPU is by far the best CPU in this price range. If anyone is concerned about Power consumption by this CPU then purchase a better motherboard which offers autoclocking features so it de-clocks your CPU when u are just idle on the desktop to something like 1.4GHz, makes the CPU run much cooler as well. It will also clock it back up to 4/4.2GHz when u need it. I found this feature really useful as i generally like to leave my PC on all night to run downloads. I am happy to know that it can run quieter, cooler and consume less energy at night now.

To make things short and simple for those who didn't understand everything, if you are a casual user rather than an advance/enthusiast user this Processor will 100% meet your needs, absolutely nothing bad i can say about it.

Currently working with computers, I've studied IT for 1 Year, did IT back in my Highschool days, and been using computers since the day i can remember. Over a decade and a half experience with Computer hardware and software, out of my friends and family i am the hardware specialist. Dispite my out of date rig i have been making alot of custom built PCs for all my friends and family so i have been using newer parts as well so this isn't all new and gloomy to me past year i've been buying AMD FX6100s, FX6300s, FX4300s for people and recommending it to them (purely based of the speed and and cache but this past month did proper research as mentioned earlier and discovered i actually made the right choices for people as those CPUs are all better than my Intel Core 2 Quad + was cheaper than my old Processor but the main point was i told them they was getting a PC on par with mine or better) I was right these FX series might have left people in disappointment but i think they are all great for their price as well.

I'd made a few things simple for you guys as well
Casual / Family User: AMD FX4300
Cheap gaming rig: AMD FX6300
Gaming / Advance Users: AMD FX8350 or Any Intel i7 (I hate i3s & i5s with a passion)

On top of all this i recommend and SSD to be added in your build as well SSDs are by far the most visible increase in performance in my lifetime experience even if you are a family user its great because you never need to defrag an SSD and i know for a fact most casual users don't even know what a Defrag is so over the year they see a performance loss in their PCs because of something simple as that. Those who need performance this is a must get, synergies well with all your other parts.

I found it stupid how Intel's i5 cost more than this processor i believe these are not worth the money, you either go cheap or expensive, i don't like how Intel decided to call it their mid range category as well and put a hefty price tag on it. Its almost like paying for their brand and thats it.

Also for those who don't know ALL FX processors come unlocked and when i say unlocked i MEAN UNLOCKED. You have access to everything using your Mobo utility and AMD's Overdrive software. My old Intel Core 2 Quad was locked at 2.5GHz... and that was 173 Processor. I should have bought the Q6600 back then as that was a whole 70.

Thanks for reading my review, i was astonished by this processor's performance i am sure any one else would be impressed by it.

UPDATE: I have made a new review based on the Arctic Freezer A30 and my information on cooling + temperatures for the AMD FX 8350
LINK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R6KD8NL80WBR1/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006TCSH4Y

4.0 out of 5 stars Beefy performance, and overclocking potential, 10 July 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
The FX8350 is an 8 core/thread CPU with a pretty potent multi threaded performance
It's clocked higher than the FX8320 processor (which is at 3.5GHz) but I would point out that the multiplier is unlocked on all the FX range (including the all the 4/6/8 series models)

You can if you want to simply increase the multiplier on the FX8320 in the bios to achieve the same performance as this CPU.(subject to variations on processors, some over clock better and some require more voltage to get there)
All that aside, on to the processor though.

The FX8350 offers improved performance over the bulldozer chips, in some cases quite a bit better than expected. Single threaded performance is better, but where you really feel the extra power is in intensive applications such as rendering and video encoding work. This is the ideal processor for heavy lifting tasks that require more cores. It's particularly well suited to demanding tasks, esp since most modern software supports multi threaded applications.

A larger level cache also makes for a good gaming chip, esp for heavier graphics demanding games, just about all new releases have good support for many threads and cores.

So it's both a good chip for applications that are typically hard on processors, but also does well for entertainment needs

Quick summary of good and bad points

Pros:
+ Outstanding bang per buck
+ Excellent multi threaded performance, quite stunning in some applications (esp video work where it's comparable to higher level rivals)
+ Improved single threaded over bulldozer
+ Great potential for over clocking
+ Newer instructions: Support for AVX1.1, FMA3, F16C, Bit Manipulation and Trailing Bit Manipulation instructions
+ Turbo core 3.0 improved over previous version
+ Full 8MB lv 2 and lv3 cache

Cons:
- Power hungry with heavy over-clocking
- Stock cooler too small, even if you're not overclocking get something better (like a coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus - one example lots of choices) and is too noisy. Look at top line coolers for hard hitting over-clocking
- 125w drains down more power even at scock speeds v rivals (though somewhat improved over the first gen Bulldozer)
- Mixed performance in some applications, it's very strong for video (punches well above it's price v the Intel equivalents) and rendering work. Gaming is good..single threaded is better than the first gen processor, but still a bit behind Intel (I think it's less important overall though as you require more power in threaded situations)

The newer "piledriver" offers some pretty good enhancements over the first generation
Improved FPU and integer scheduling, and better branch prediction and pre-fetching. This accounts for improved performance in both single and multi threaded applications.

Gaming is good with the 8320 and can be improved even further with moderate over clocking (just about all newer games are heavily threaded so this will be just fine for gaming rigs, put the cash saved on the CPU towards a good graphics card)
The 8350 scored a solid 9435 on passmark that's a strong performance, if you do some heavy over clocking even more meaty performance is possible (but at the expense of increased power consumption)

For AM3+ users with a quad core Phenom II x4 this is a fairly huge upgrade in every way, and it's a good update over older Phenom II x6 processors no question.

Whilst the Vishera processors (piledriver) processors have been out a while now, the prices are good across the board. In terms of value for money and getting good performance for the price it's hard to beat these right now (prices are good and have fallen a bit)

For overclockers the 8350 is a great buy, and it's beastly performance in some applications makes it a good value choice for video encoding (it's very fast here) also does very well for photo work (lightroom is multi threaded and this runs great with that software) But you can also save a few on the 8320 and over-clock that too. I found very little difference in overclocking on body processors, there are sample variations in silicone and some do overclock better than others.

Can't really find many faults (it does suck down power quite a lot with strong overclocking) make sure you have a good quality power supply AND a good cooler (or water cool it), built a few rigs on this processor it's a bit of a bargain in many ways. It just eats into hard hitting tasks with ease.

A strong CPU overall

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic CPU, better than expected!, 2 July 2013
Came on the day estimated...good start!

Anyway, I had the Phenom II x6 1090T processor, on idle 20c full load 45c (water cooled H50 push pull 2x SP120 corsair fans)
Got this, runs at a very noticeable faster speed, even though i had the 1090T OC to 4GHZ this comes with a 4GHZ as standard and just click on your turbo in BIOS and poof!!! 4.2GHZ.
now my point is that this core for some reason that is magic runs COOLER yes COOLER than the 6 core,
Idle 16c some times 14c depending on room temp which is around 22c - 25c and max load i don't even touch 40c anymore. there really is no need to clock this CPU to 5GHZ just yet as there is no game out there that needs it. but if you do have a sealed water cooler over heating will never be an issue, oh yeh make sure you get good thermal paste, it will help.
Renderring:
40mins per 15min 1080p HD video with the 1090T
17mins per 15min 1080p HD video with the FX

speaks for itself.
now i rarely use stock coolers so your temps will vary and it will always run hot with stock.

This processor for AMD is worth every penny 150 for a processor this good that rivals the best i5 chip at a fraction the cost?? it so obvious what to buy!

My rig:
NZXT Phantom 630 gaming case
16gb Corsair vengeance RAM 1600mhz
Sapphire 7870HD 2gb
Corsair 850w Modular PSU
Crosshair Formula V - Z
AMD FX8350 Black edition 8 core processor (4.2GHZ)
H50 sealed water cooling (push pull setup taking air from inside the case limiting dust that builds on the fins)
4x 200mm fans also in a push pull config keeping good air flow.

My review on the 1090T before had a good rating and i hope this review is just as helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor - I'm Lovin' It!!!!!, 1 Jun 2014
Colin Gibson (England) - See all my reviews
Cant say a lot more than what has been said already but I have followed AMD processor development and deployment within my systems now for about 20 years. The performance/value to money ratio has always been good and this processor even beats my last black edition FX1820.

My motherboard (Gigabyte /GA-990FXA-UD5) with 32G of memory was just crying out for this upgrade so I pounced! A perfect match of speed and capability/functionality. These days you really need to bench upgrade a lot to see any significant difference noticeable in everyday tasks. As my main area of concern is with photo manipulation and video renering/movie creation this marriage offered significant advantages. Plunge taken - and not disappointed. Everything thrown at this rig is now taken with ease.

Word of caution - watch your CPU temp. Never a problem before but I now house my comp in a comp desk and the CPU temp was reduced by 20'C simply by spending 25 on a Cool-master CPU Fan/Cooler rather than rely on the supplied fan. (See review and temperature stats on Coolmaster fan review).

In short then....processor FANTASTIC...fan supplied, go for an update quick!!
Hope this helps - Colin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats not to like?, 13 Mar 2014
Item came quickly and well packaged. I liked it as soon as I opened it.
Installation was kinda easy as I'm experienced - build PC's passionately.
Works flawlessly and amazes me on daily basis. It is cooled with H80i and stays around 30 and never goes over 42. fans are on around 1000RPM

I've put quite common parts together with it to have some gaming PC trying to keep performance/price ratio...

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
Crucial CT480M500SSD1 480GB M500 for stuff
WD Caviar Green 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive
Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
Seagate STCA3000200 3TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
Corsair CP-9020056-UK RM Series RM850 80 Plus Gold 850W Fully Modular Power Supply Unit
Vaporise V9 Blue Gaming PC ATX Computer Case modified to my needs...

Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Omega Wireless Gaming Headset with SBX
Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard
Perixx MX-2000B, Programmable Gaming Laser Mouse
Wired illuminated keyboard for writing...

I've got 7.9 windows experience on everything without overclocking anything but CPU slightly...

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant CPU (Gaming & Rendering), 1 Mar 2014
I've had this CPU just under 3 months and have had no issue so far. It runs at around 50C whilst under load but I have lots of cooling within my build. I would definitely recommend this CPU for people new to PC Gaming. I wouldn't buy this CPU again as by the time it dies, there should be a newer, faster version on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it NOW!, 21 Sep 2013
Was close to getting a i5-3570k or the i5-4670k but went with this instead. Both this and the two I have mentioned perform extremely close to each other when gaming, but when editing/ rendering or even gaming and streaming the 8350 pulls ahead. Also with the new consoles being released soon the games will be enhanced to run more efficiently on the 8 cores which may allow the 8350 to pull ahead of the Intels. Also if your looking to get an 8305 or a 3570k then your obviously on a budget or else you would be looking to get something like a 3930k, so if your on a budget like I was then get this processor and put the money that you saved by getting it instead of the Intels towards a better graphics card. I had the choice between a 3570k and a GTX 660 or a 8350 and a GTX 670, when you look at it like this the 8350 is the clear winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a processor., 29 Dec 2012
Fantastic, great bang for your buck.. Running Boinc again full speed ahead on 8 cores. searching for a cancer cure & running SETI so much quieter & cooler than the previous chip a Phenon II X4 955. This new CPU from AMD is impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Piledriver :), 28 Jan 2013
Mr. C. Easton - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this product on Friday 25th Jan 13, I received it today, 28th January, after a delay in postage due to Snow / Adverse weather.

The product arrived in a lovely tin which I quickly took the top off to reveal the lovely processor staring at me. After installing it in my system, I booted up to find everything was much more snappier than my 965BE @ 3.4.
I did a WEI and received a lovely 7.8/7.8 on CPU/RAM, a .4 increase on the 965.

I've just upped the clock to 4.3GHZ and 4.5 turbo without any problems, without changing voltages on my 990FX Sabertooth R1.0 board. (The original, if you're wondering!).

Overclocking seems real easy and hopefully I can push this to 5.0 with my Noctua NH-D14 air cooler without any problems.

Overall, I love this product, for the 150 I paid, I'd surely buy this again for a new build if I ever needed it, well done AMD, you've kept me sane, I was about to run to intel until I saw this amazing offer.

AMD isnt out of the race yet guys...

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultra happy, 22 Jun 2014
one of the best cpus out there especially for multitasking. Would recommend it for someone that is recording or streaming